• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

James Wellbeloved

MurphysMummy

I am thinking of changing Murphy onto James Wellbeloved. He is on pedigree tinned food at the moment but I want him to go on to dry food. He only has four teeth but he has learnt how to chew certain foods. He has even started chewing the raw-hide chews my Gran bought from the pet shop for her jack russells when we were staying with her last week. So I bought him a few and we are home now and he has not attempted to chew on them.(He learnt alot from my Gran's dogs)
But most dry foods are usually quite big pieces, we have bought pedigree small dog dry before and them size pieces were fine. I was wondering can anyone tell me what size the pieces are in James wellbeloved. As I don't want to buy it and it be too big for Murphy to eat.

I would consider them quite small - about the size of a blackcurrant - no more than a centimeter cubed - don't know if that helps. You could soften them slightly with warm water if you are worried that he won't be able to bite them, though that probably defeats the purpose if you want him to have dry kibble for his teeth and gums. I'd say he would be able to manage - he probably has very strong gums.

I would consider them quite small - about the size of a blackcurrant - no more than a centimeter cubed - don't know if that helps. You could soften them slightly with warm water if you are worried that he won't be able to bite them, though that probably defeats the purpose if you want him to have dry kibble for his teeth and gums. I'd say he would be able to manage - he probably has very strong gums.

Thanks for your reply, it was helpful.

Not all are that small -- the different flavours vary in size. I think fish is the smallest. But even with few teeth they can manage the various sizes I think. I would give him a mix of wet and dry given how few teeth he has.

Small bite food

Don't know if this would help, but I use Burns Puppy and small adult "small bite" chicken and brown rice dry food for my dogs that have missing/few teeth- they manage fine, and like it. The pieces are no bigger than a small- flattened- pea. You have to get it from a vet's though - the man who devised it is a vet and will only let it be distributed through vets I understand

Last edited:
Hi Molly had no prob eating James Well beloved the Royal Caine is also very small..too small for Molly she was just guzziling them down and nearly chokiing!! I like James Wellbeloved seems to suit Molly

Burns Mini Bites ('For puppies and toy breed adults') is on sale at ordinary pet shops - if your local doesn't keep it, they should be able to get it for you. My two do very well on Burns (the bigger size) - they eat it so quickly I don't think they have a chewing problem - they don't chew it!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back