Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No More Collars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Leo has a second tag that says "I am on special medications. If you find me please call my owner urgently'.
    Thank you for reminding me - I've been meaning to do that for Bosco, but haven't gotten around to it yet. A job for Monday!
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

At DT we give adopters a collar & tag for their new doggie - plus a 2nd tag that says 'I am microchipped, please scan me'
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Mmm... I always leave the collar on. As a puppy she once escaped downstairs when i was signing for a package. I was living in an appartment building in NYC on amsterdam avenue!! coincedentally the doors downstairs where open too coz someone was moving in. So Ms. Blondie took a walk on Amsterdam avenue alone (she was like 4 months old) while my bf at the time ran downstairs in his boxers and just about saved her from crossing the street alone. She also once escaped on the beach while my friend was taking care of her, she had lost her collar the day before I left on holiday and i instinctively put on a cat one with the little paper inside in the meantime while the new tag was made. So Ms. Blondie went running off with the neighbourhood kids at the beach while my friend was swimming. The kids thought they had found the dog. Thank god I got a phonecall from the mother that night, who said she could barely make out the number on the paper coz the ink had gotten wet. Anyways, in NYC not everyone will go as far as having the dog scanned, or bring them to the vet they find a cute dog and want to keep it or set it free or whatever. A cavalier on the run... mmm... Mine wouldnt make it 2 blocks I think. No sense of danger whatsoever..
    In NYC ther are so many crazy people too.. I just wouldn't trust it without a collar on. Now, if she ever runs around the corner , at least they can bring her right back. If i lived in a small town or so it would probably be different... The tag with "special medications" is a great idea and Ive been meaning to do get one of these as well..
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mine wear their collars all the time. I am least concerned about them having them on while on a walk because I am with them and they really aren't wanderers. I am more concerned about them getting out if our house was broken into or the back gate (which I can't see from the kitchen) was accidentally left open or blew open. Our Golden got loose once when a piece of fence that wasn't visible from the house blew down in a storm. I got him back more than once because of his collar and tags.

Both of mine are microchipped but to be perfectly honest I don't put a great deal of faith in the microchip and certainly it wouldn't be the quickest way to get them back. We once took in a greyhound that was wandering our neighbourhood. I called the number on his tag and there was no answer I wasn't prepared for that but there was nothing for it but to keep the dog overnight as there was nowhere to take him before morning. Lucky for all the owners had been out for the evening and the dog had managed to open the patio door and escape while they were happily watching a movie in the city. After we had all settled down to bed there was a knock on the door and the owners had come as soon as they got my phone message. They would have had a frantic night had he not had a tag.

I got a call from our vet last winter because someone had turned in a ruby cavalier (our vet doubles as the pound) that had no collar or tag. The vet knows my guys and thought I might know of the ruby. I didn't but somebody missed him and put up posters and they were reunited. Had he had a tag on that could have happened more quickly.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

Neither of mine wear collars, Barney has had a harness since a baby and we've done the same with Cassie. There is a stair gate if the front door is open.

Their tags are attached to them for walkies. Both are microchipped for piece of mind too. Their tags also say "scan me".

It is a worry about dogs going missing - I would be heartbroken if either of mine did!!