• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CKCSC,USA Dumps MVD Breeding Protocol

Margaret,

The breeder is actually not my breeder but someone else and I think it is more because of cost of having the dogs scanned. She is very active and I am not going to speak for her, but I think there are a lot of issues here. I see everything being done and I am so happy for that. I think maybe I am thinking too big. As a pet owner and not a breeder, I feel it is important to make sure that before someone buys a Cavalier they are asking the breeder the questions and are educated. I know there will always be people that do not do this. The breeders that are following trying breed clear or follow the SM/MVD protocals and are focused on all of their health issus, should be the ones people are supporting.

Yesterday, I was thinking that people would be more focused on the problem being a show issue and then buy a Cavalier from someone that is not doing testing at all. Then today I thought people are still going to assume that when people write AKC etc. "healthy" puppies that it is true. If it makes people not want to get a Cavalier and then maybe it will weed out all the ones I see online everyday. Then the people who are trying to figure out how to do whatever is needed to benefit the future health of the breed. It is so complicated and I am not a smart person and I have not been involved for very long.

Knowledge is key and that is why I wanted to share Ella's story. I am still learning things everyday. I don't want to fall in love with her only to lose her 4 years later. I think that in the US people are more concerned with AKC registration and that isn't anything with health. I have heard people say they will never get another Cavalier again because of what they have gone through. I hate that because I love them so much but it has really changed me forever. I respect the people that have been on this forum for so long and I just want to do what is best but I don't know the best thing to do but I don't want to not do anything.

Believe me, I have contacted the Clubs and actually talked to someone that is real influential and what they said was alarming. I have tried to email the treasurer to see how I can spread awareness and have people donate but got no response. I see what people are doing in Canada and the UK and I know we have great neurologists, but I think there are a lot of things that could be done in conjunction.

We need to unite hands across the globe to support this great breed. Pet owners need to be involved, Clubs, Researchers, and everyone to come together. If only that could happen :p

Ckcsc,usa dumps mvd breeding protocol

It is painful reading, Terrierman is very harsh, but there are parts of it that are true.

The fault lies with the breeders, the breed clubs and the Kennel Clubs.

In the past breeders hid the health problems from each other & the pet owning public.

Breed clubs, at best, issued health protocols that they knew were uniformly ignored by the majority of their members and they did nothing to change that.
Now it seems that the problem of non-compliance in the USA is being tackled by watering down protocols to make them more palatable to breeders, despite the fact that it will render them completely ineffective.

The Kennel Clubs washed their hands of the situation by saying it was for the breeders to identify health problems & then approach them.
The UK Kennel Club knew for years, decades, about the health problems that were showing up in pedigree dogs and they offered no guidance, issued no warnings, and offered no encouragement to those that tried to raise awareness of health issues.

It is heartbreaking what is happening to these lovely sweet little dogs. It is not just SM & MVD. There are other conditions, Dry Eye/Curly Coat, Episodic Falling Syndrome that are known to be inherited problems.
I now feel the need to warn puppy buyers that cavaliers are very health compromised indeed and if they do buy a cavalier the first thing they should do is get it insured.

I am scared that the health issues in cavaliers are too severe for cavaliers to survive as a breed that is suitable as a family pet. The cost in money & emotional heartbreak will be too much.

And before breeders trot out their anecdotes of their golden oldies, I will say that I have a nearly 14 year old here, still managing okay, despite MVD & mild SM, but he is an exception, dogs like him are more and more one-offs, most of their litter mates will have not lived anywhere near as long.

Most of the next generations of cavaliers are likely to have very expensive, painful, and distressing illnesses long before they reach anything like that age

From the point of view of the future of the breed I do think it is a shame that so many of the people that care, like anniemacs breeder, are giving up breeding because they have seen how the dogs are affected by SM.
I understand their dread of producing affected puppies, but I do wish they could steel themselves to try breeding a litter or two for health, not for the show ring, complying wholeheartedly with the SM & MVD guidelines.
It is the only way to see if the guidelines will help us to breed back to a healthier dog.

When compassionate breeders like this give up they are leaving the way clear for the callous breeders who just want to breed without any hindrance. This includes those club breeders who breed from untested cavaliers or young cavaliers whose age makes their health certificates useless.

The latest Breed Record Supplement show one club member with a young bitch producing her second litter at 22 months, mated two seasons running. Breeding cavaliers should not be left to people like this.
Are actions like this any better than puppy farming? Club members know what they should be doing and why they should be testing. As their puppies will become the next generation of show breeding stock they do more harm to the breed as a whole than any BYB or puppy farmer.

Fortunately there are some people that are still breeding to the MVD & SM protocols. I often have details of such litters to pass on to puppy buyers.

CKCSC,USA DUMPS MVD BREEDING PROTOCOL

Could I say how much I agree with Margaret's Post.

I can't quote Cavalier Figures for their SM Problem, but this must be an Eye-Opener to many who Love our Cavalier Breed.

There are nearly 100% of Cavaliers at 10 years of Age who are suffering from MMVD.

In Britain that means ,since around 10,000 Cavaliers are Registered yearly by the Kennel Club, so at the Present time there will be nearly 100,000 Cavaliers at 10 years who have MMVD.

This is a Frightening Figure.

Will there be any Cavalier to-day who is not a Carrier of the MMVD Gene, no matter their Age.

As has been said by Terrierman in his Article,is it a Fact now that the Cavalier Breed just can't be Saved
and the Cavalier World should stop acting as if it can.

With those MMVD Figures how is it possible for Cavaliers to have a Future.

I am sorry to be so Depressed about this, but what can be done.

To me there just is no answer ,unless the Genes for SM and MMVD are Found.

Bet

What can be done?

Margaret,

I think maybe I am thinking too big. As a pet owner and not a breeder, I feel it is important to make sure that before someone buys a Cavalier they are asking the breeder the questions and are educated. I know there will always be people that do not do this. The breeders that are following trying breed clear or follow the SM/MVD protocals and are focused on all of their health issus, should be the ones people are supporting.

The bigger the thinking the better.

You are right, breeders that follow the correct health protocols, no matter how inconvenient, are the people that should be supported. They are often cavalier club members, but some non-members do become aware of the problems and breed responsibly.

Cavalier buyers need to ask the important questions, the problem is when they first decide to get a dog how would they know that there are big health problems in cavaliers?
The UK Cavalier Club now has a lot more information on their website, but I don't think the same can be said for American Clubs ( or some of the UK regional clubs )

How do buyers get advice on what to ask? How do they know when they are being fooled by breeders that convincingly talk the talk?

Some of the breeders seem able to convince themselves that having one or two scans done on very young dogs enables them to declare that they do "all the health testing"
With that level of self-deceit and denial, puppy buyers are easily deceived.

It appears that even the USA 'Old Club', once renown for its high standards, now feels able to water down health protocols, and somehow present the changes as being good for cavaliers.

No, good for the breeders, very very bad for individual dogs and the future of the breed.

It is so complicated and I am not a smart person and I have not been involved for very long.

It is complicated.
You are asking really smart questions, & that means we can explain the true situation to all those that are new to the politics of cavalier health testing and breeding.

I have heard people say they will never get another Cavalier again because of what they have gone through. I hate that because I love them so much but it has really changed me forever. I respect the people that have been on this forum for so long and I just want to do what is best but I don't know the best thing to do but I don't want to not do anything.

There is no right way to help. Others will learn a lot from your experiences with Ella, so just keep asking for answers, learn all you can and write it down in your blog.
Keep demanding answers from the breed clubs.

We need to unite hands across the globe to support this great breed. Pet owners need to be involved, Clubs, Researchers, and everyone to come together. If only that could happen :p

I second that

Margaret,

Thank you so much for that information. I think people don't have a clue about what is going on with this breed. People want to hear good and fun things but not want to know the real issues. I think that is one thing to do is focus on the positive steps. What is being done that a lot of people do not even knows about. Even before Ella got Syringomyelia, I sent out newsletters to an informal Cavalier meet-up group. I wrote something about SM and thankfully I did. When I got Ella's neurologist to agree to come talk to anyone in Charlotte about SM, there was only a couple of people that came. I guess that is more than before.

I commend what Tania is doing on Cavalier Matters and I am still thinking of things that I can do. We have actually talked about some things because it would be good to really get people involved, but the trick is to how to get people to listen. I think that having a face to the story is always good.

I would love to talk to some people in the US about things. I have an open mind, an open heart, and I want to learn as much as I can and do as much as possible.

Thank you

Back