• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Interesting Vet Visit

Duffer

So Cava had a visit with the vet today, her annual booster injection and check up. She is grand, healthy happy doggie. We were chatting and i asked her about SM and getting an MRI etc. She asked me did i have Cava insured and i said yes, she told me to make sure i keep her insured to cover any costs that may occur down the line, she also told me that insurance companies are thinking of taking Cavaliers off the insurance schemes as they are prone to such health problems! I found this quite upsetting! I was wondering has any one had any issues insuring their cav?

Interesting Vet Visit.

So Cava had a visit with the vet today, her annual booster injection and check up. She is grand, healthy happy doggie. We were chatting and i asked her about SM and getting an MRI etc. She asked me did i have Cava insured and i said yes, she told me to make sure i keep her insured to cover any costs that may occur down the line, she also told me that insurance companies are thinking of taking Cavaliers off the insurance schemes as they are prone to such health problems! I found this quite upsetting! I was wondering has any one had any issues insuring their cav?

INTERESTING VET VISIT

Duffer,

I think ,if this true ,that Cavaliers won't be being Insured any Longer,should make those Cavalier Breeders ,if any-thing else cannot ,the Serious Plight that the Breed is in because of their Health Problems.

Is there any other Breed like the Cavaliers ,which has been mentioned in a Veterinary Paper , that nearly 100% of Cavaliers will have MMVD at 10 Years of Age.

As I have mentioned in a Previous Post, in Britain, this is nearly the 100,000 Cavaliers alive here to-day, at 10 years of Age who are suffering from MMVD.

Are the Insurance Companies beginning to think that the Cavalier Breed is a Sick Breed.??

Bet

I have thought for a long while that eventually companies will eventually start to exclude syringomyelia and mitral valve disease because the costs can rise so high. It's interesting that your vet says that–I would be interested to know whether that was coming from the insurance companies themselves, or from general conversation amongst vets.

I wouldn't advise doing an MRI uness you–and your vet–feel there's a reason to do one, of course. There are so many other things that can be similar in symptoms.

One good shift that is happening though, is that I know there are a couple of vets who are interested in setting up lower cost MRIs in Ireland. I have been talking to two along these lines over the past year. It wouldn't bring the cost down to the very low club costs in the UK, for example, but more in the region of €500 rather than the over €1000 that is more the norm in Ireland at the moment.

Back