• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Has The Cavalier Breed a Future.?

Bet

Now that we know that nearly 100% of Cavaliers have MMVD at 10 years of Age,and this could mean that around 100,000 Cavaliers of to day at 10 years here in Britain could have MMVD,this from a Veterinary Article published by Researchers into the MMVD Problem in our Cavaliers, how many Cavalier Carriers also of MMVD will there be.

What I wonder is how will the EBV Scheme help Cavaliers with MMVD if all those Cavaliers are destined to be suffering from MMVD at 10 years of age.

Does this mean that nearly all Cavaliers will have MMVD or will be MMVD Carriers by the time they are 10 .

Any-body any thoughts about this Problem.

Bet

Don't you need to distinguish between heart problems (including MVD) which develop as part of the ageing process, and happen in many different breeds, and MVD developing at an early age, which is the particular scourge of Cavaliers? A proportion of the Cavaliers with MVD at 10 will have developed it as a normal part of getting old - I would include my Oliver in these, for example, who developed a Grade 1 murmur at 8, which has now at 9 gone up to a Grade 2, but is causing him no problems whatsoever, and can hardly be considered 'early onset MVD'. How many dogs in other breeds develop MVD by the age of 10? The concern with Cavaliers is that they develop MVD before they are 2.5 - which is precisely why the breeding protocol gives that as the earliest age for breeding - if only breeders would keep to it! I think age of onset is more important than total numbers. Other research papers (including one, if I remember rightly, by the EBV team at the AHT) have said that if breeders followed the age protocol and only bred from clear dogs, early onset MVD could be eradicated from Cavaliers in a few generations.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

When one of my oldies was 12 1/2 and developed a slight murmour I was concerned, but the vet said 'Well at her age something has to go' and of course he was right. She had minimal treatment with Enalapril and lived to 15, having a happy and healthy life despite the murmour.

Her father lived to almost 17, despite a pronounced murmour from 7 or 8 years old. He too lived a happy and healthy life, chasing a cat at the speed of light at somewhere around 16.

Long before that we had a miniature Poodle with mvd problems from an early age. With medication she lived a happy and active life until 17 1/2 years of age.

While I think the KC should refuse registration of pups born to parents without clear health certificates, I do think that optimism should be the key word here, although I do respect the feelings of those unfortunate people who have lost dogs to early onset problems, but they are fewer and testing is becoming the norm for those who breed responsibly.

I love this breed and want to see us move forward. Looking back and learning from past mistakes makes sense to me and is surely preferable to the extrapolation of doom and gloom to today's enlightened and informed responsible breeders.

Bet, would it not be more constructive for you to aim your efforts towards the proliferation of back yard breeders and puppy farmers that we all abhor. Here you are surely preaching to the converted.

Has the cavalier breed a future?

When one of my oldies was 12 1/2 and developed a slight murmour I was concerned, but the vet said 'Well at her age something has to go' and of course he was right. She had minimal treatment with Enalapril and lived to 15, having a happy and healthy life despite the murmour.

Her father lived to almost 17, despite a pronounced murmour from 7 or 8 years old. He too lived a happy and healthy life, chasing a cat at the speed of light at somewhere around 16.

Long before that we had a miniature Poodle with mvd problems from an early age. With medication she lived a happy and active life until 17 1/2 years of age.

While I think the KC should refuse registration of pups born to parents without clear health certificates, I do think that optimism should be the key word here, although I do respect the feelings of those unfortunate people who have lost dogs to early onset problems, but they are fewer and testing is becoming the norm for those who breed responsibly.

I love this breed and want to see us move forward. Looking back and learning from past mistakes makes sense to me and is surely preferable to the extrapolation of doom and gloom to today's enlightened and informed responsible breeders.

Bet, would it not be more constructive for you to aim your efforts towards the proliferation of back yard breeders and puppy farmers that we all abhor. Here you are surely preaching to the converted.

HAS THE CAVALIER BREED A FUTURE?

Here is the Link about the Severity of the MMVD Problem Afflicting our Cavaliers from the Researchers.

www.eurolupa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view==article&id=7&itemid=8&lang=en

I just cant understand why all the Cavalier Heart Ills can be laid at the Puppy Farmers and BYB's Doors,when I would think that most of the Heart Figure Data has come from CKCS Shows ,and there would not be many Cavaliers from Puppy Farms and BYB's at those shows.

In the Veterinary Article I have mentioned ,the Researchers say that the Cavaliers have a Predisposition to MMVD when they quoted nearly 100% of Cavalier having MMVD at 10 years of age.

The latest Veterinary Paper just published, has said that the Type of Cavalier Heart Trouble that affects them at just on 3 years of age , is the only type that affects Cavaliers , not any other Toy Breed.

I know we also had Our Marigold ,who lived to 15, she had no Heart Trouble , but I don't know and neither does any-body else know as to whether she was a Carrier of the MMVD GENES.

I think this is what the LUPA Researchers will be hoping to find out about the MMVD Problem in Cavaliers.

Until those Genes and the SM Genes are dicovered ,how can Cavaliers have a Future.

This is the way Science is now going both for Humand and Animals.

It has just been discovered this week the Gene for Short-sightness in Humans.

Also in Cancer Sufferers certain Genes have been in Families.

There is no other way to help our Cavaliers but to fing the SM and MMVD GENES.

Hopefully this will be being discussed at the Seminar on 7 th October.

I will say again ,if the Genes for those Two Conditions SM and MMVD are not found , how can the EBV Scheme benefit Cavaliers.

I am trying to find out about this.

I don't think this is DOOM and GLOOM for Cavaliers ,it is facing Facts.

Bet

Has the cavalier breed a future?

Here is the Link about the Severity of the MMVD Problem Afflicting our Cavaliers from the Researchers.

www.eurolupa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view==article&id=7&itemid=8&lang=en

I just cant understand why all the Cavalier Heart Ills can be laid at the Puppy Farmers and BYB's Doors,when I would think that most of the Heart Figure Data has come from CKCS Shows ,and there would not be many Cavaliers from Puppy Farms and BYB's at those shows.

In the Veterinary Article I have mentioned ,the Researchers say that the Cavaliers have a Predisposition to MMVD when they quoted nearly 100% of Cavalier having MMVD at 10 years of age.

The latest Veterinary Paper just published, has said that the Type of Cavalier Heart Trouble that affects them at just on 3 years of age , is the only type that affects Cavaliers , not any other Toy Breed.

I know we also had Our Marigold ,who lived to 15, she had no Heart Trouble , but I don't know and neither does any-body else know as to whether she was a Carrier of the MMVD GENES.

I think this is what the LUPA Researchers will be hoping to find out about the MMVD Problem in Cavaliers.

Until those Genes and the SM Genes are dicovered ,how can Cavaliers have a Future.

This is the way Science is now going both for Humand and Animals.

It has just been discovered this week the Gene for Short-sightness in Humans.

Also in Cancer Sufferers certain Genes have been in Families.

There is no other way to help our Cavaliers but to fing the SM and MMVD GENES.

Hopefully this will be being discussed at the Seminar on 7 th October.

I will say again ,if the Genes for those Two Conditions SM and MMVD are not found , how can the EBV Scheme benefit Cavaliers.

I am trying to find out about this.

I don't think this is DOOM and GLOOM for Cavaliers ,it is facing Facts.

Bet

I have just read the Newest Chatterbox , I know I keep mentioning this ,but the Chatterbox has said about the Improvement in the Cavaliers' Heart Problems, I really do feel that this just cannot be claimed until the Genes for the MVD Problem are found. .

There is nobody who can say which Cavaliers are Carriers of the MVD Genes ,they might have no MVD Problem but can still be Carriers of the MVD Genes, as I have said ,until the MVD Genes are discovered , nobody should be taking the Liberty of being able to say that the MVD Problem is improving for our Cavalier Breed.

I think that the Cavalier Folk who are Claiming that the MVD Problem is getting better in our Breed are just Deluding themselves.

This is the most important task facing Cavaliers , both for MVD and SM, is for the Genes for both those Two Diseases
to be found.

Yes do Health Tests at the Moment , but it is the finding of those Genes that is so Critical for the Future of the Cavalier Breed.

I think that until this is realized by some Cavalier Breeders and the Cavalier Committee ,that it does no matter how many Cavaliers are Clear of MVD or SM, that if those Genes are not found, then there will be no way forward for our Cavaliers to be having a Future.

If some Cavalier Breeders and the CKCS Committee can't understand this, they are doing the Cavaliers a Diservice by saying that the MVD Cavalier Problem is Improving.

Just ask any Geneticst about what I am trying to explain.

Bet

Back