• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

AKC & UKC registration question

Reptigirl

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if anyone would know the answer to this but I have a question I'm almost embarrassed to ask. I'm pretty sure my puppy didn't come from a very good source (more then likely a broker. I didn't know this at the time) I have not been able to get much info on his parents but I was able to trace him back to his grandparents. I contacted there breeder for a little info (mainly health testing info) and she was very surprised to hear from me since ALL of her puppies are sold with AKC LIMITED registration. :-?Meaning that my puppy should not have full registration. She is inquiring more info on where he came from since someone broke her contract and altered the papers. I would really like to give it to her since she has been so kind to answer my questions. BUT I'm worried that my puppy could lose his Full Registration papers. I specifically wanted and paid for a puppy with Full registration papers so I could show him. I already have his papers and he has been entered in a couple of shows...Is it possible for his papers to be revoked or reduced down to limited even though the person I purchased him from gave me Full registration? :( I would totally understand her going after the person she sold my puppies parents to but it shouldn't affect the puppies that were produced and already in different homes should it?

I noticed nobody had responded to your query, so I'll have a go (though my knowledge of AKC registration is nil!). Does Limited Registration limit what you can do with the dog - such as not breeding from them? Or does it mean that one of the parents was not fully KC registered and you can't show a Limited dog? In the UK breeders can limit what can be done with the dog by a contract with the buyer - for example, not breeding from a dog who may be a carrier of a hereditary disease, or not showing a sub-standard (from the show point of view!) dog. I think the only people who can sort this out are the AKC - why not contact them and explain the situation and ask if they can find out what is happening? If someone is falsifying papers, the AKC will certainly want to know. Why does the breeder of the parents always sell her dogs with Limited registration?

Sorry, this isn't very helpful, but I'd be interested in the outcome!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Kate, thanks so much for responding! I'm still so confused on the issue.

AKC states that "Limited Registration means that the dog is registered but no litters produced by that dog are eligible for registration." "A dog registered with an AKC Limited Registration shall be ineligible to be entered in a breed competition in a licensed or member dog show. It is eligible, however, to be entered in any other licensed or member event. These events include: Obedience, Tracking, Field Trials, Hunting Tests, Herding, Lure Coursing, Agility and Earthdog." "The AKC will not become involved in disputes concerning 'full' or 'limited' registration of a dog. These disputes must be resolved by the parties involved in the sale of the dog. The only exception to this is in cases where there is a contract, signed by all parties involved and made at the time of the dog sale, that stipulates the registration status. In those cases, AKC will initiate an inquiry on the matter."

If I'm reading it right then AKC wont get involved or do anything because I didn't buy directly from this person or sign any kind of contract but then I don't get what is the point of "limited" registration if anyone can falsify the papers and they won't do anything.
I'm also unsure of what I can do. I PAID for a dog with FULL registration and I expect can keep it or get some of my money back! I'm hoping to get in contact with the person who I actually purchased the puppy from but ever since i paid for him I have not gotten any more answers.:mad:
The breeder I was talking to about the limited registration has quit contacting me too ever since I sent her all the information I had on my puppy. =/ I'm hoping she just got busy or something. I'm kind of mad I went out on a limb sending her all the information I had on the dog she produced (yet she didn't even know has been registered for over 2 years) and she never got back to me again.
I did ask her why she did limited registration only but never got a response :(. She seems to produce quite a few Cavaliers (she has at least 8 breeders and seems to almost always have at least 2 litters available.) My guess is that since there are so few breeders of Cavaliers where I'm from she wants to keep it that way. I asked her about health testing or concerns she said "They have had no health problems, or puppies with problems. I have not had any advanced testing done. Many experts link MRI problems with tooth and mouth disease. It's very important to keep their teeth clean.":sl*p:

After all of this I have REALLY learned how important it is to get from a very good breeder! I just hope I don't lose his full registration so I can keep showing him. If anyone has experience with anything similar please let me know your outcome!

Thanks!

Thanks for explaining - your Limited registration sounds a bit like our KC's Activity Register - any dog of any breed or none can be registered for activities such as obedience and agility, but it doesn't qualify them for show (except that you can take them to breed shows Not for Competition, which is useful with my Aled who, being a rescue and doing obedience, is on the Activity Register, as I can take him to Cavalier Club shows and get his heart checked for free!)

But it's all very frustrating for you - if your dog actually has Limited Registration, obviously you shouldn't be showing him, and if your full papers are actually illegal, you could find yourself in real trouble at a show, facing fines etc (if the AKC is like our KC!). And the breeder you have spoken to sounds a bit dodgy - you must be tearing your hair out! It's tricky to know what to do - keep quiet about your doubts and continue to show, or talk to someone about it and risk losing your full papers.

I do hope you get it sorted.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back