• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Corneal Ulcers

I'm so glad you finally have some better news. It's really great that Dylan is coping well - and you too, it's been a huge strain on you both. It is surprising how quickly we do get into a routine with any kind of medical care like this - but I really hope that after the next check up the work load will be greatly reduced for you.

I hope that the eyes continue to heal well - Dylan is a lucky boy indeed to have such a caring guardian - also that you have found a caring and understanding opthalmologist.

Thank you so much for keeping us all "in the loop", Jane - we do feel for you going through this difficult time, but it sounds as though everything is going gently well so far, and I'm sure it will stay that way.

Looking forward to the next update. Meanwhile, gentle hugs from me and my gang of four :wggle::d*g::d*g::d*g::d*g:

Thank you Flo, Nicki and Marie-Anne. Your messages really do help.:) I'll continue to keep you posted on his progress.

Dylan had a second post-op check today with the Opthalmologist. I had a scary moment when he said he didn't like the look of the eye that has the graft but once he had a more thorough look he said everything was fine! We have now stopped the serum and Chloramphenicol drops and he just has to have Optimmune eye ointment and artificial tears twice a day. This is the treatment for dry eye and he will have to stay on these for the rest of his life. We have another check up in a month's time when he will check Dylan's tear production again.

Having to wear a buster collar for a whole month has caused an ear infection and a skin infection around his mouth so he has been given drops for his ears and cream for his mouth:sl*p:

So thrilled to see that Dylan has had his second check up and is doing so well, even if the opthalmologist had to have a second look to prove himself wrong the first time, big grin.

Did they tell you what his tear count is? 20 ish a minute is really good, 15 just about normal, with anything below that number causing concern. As a guide, Holly's first count was 0 in the right eye and about 10 in the left. Now that her treatment has stabilised the condition her readings are fairly constant at 21 in the right eye and 20 in the left. If you watch the colour changing on the litmus paper stuff they put into the eye, you can see the numbers creeping up.

As time goes on you will absolutely thrilled as I get with Holly's counts each time you watch those numbers come up to normal.

By the way, do you know that you can get Optimune on prescription cheaper than the vet's if you buy on line. Canine Chemists are pretty good, but be careful of any sites not giving a contact landline and address on them, as there are dangerous fake medicines about.

Hi Flo. Dylan's tear count was 7 in his right eye and 15 in the left eye although the opthalmologist said this was only that high because the ulcer was so severe it was making the eye very watery. I'm hoping that the dry eye isn't too bad and will respond to treatment well.

Thanks for the advice on Optimmune, I'll check out some prices.

Thought I'd give a quick update on Dylan's progress. We had a check up yesterday with the Opthalmologist and everything seems very good. His tear count was 20 in both eyes which is excellent so we are reducing the Optimmune to once a day and artificial tears twice a day. He wants to see Dylan again in 10 weeks and if his tear count stays above 16 the treatment will be left as it is now and he will be signed off but if it is below 16 the Optimmune will be upped to twice a day again and we will have to continue under the opthalmologist. He still has no vision in the eye that was operated on but no pigment has grown over the cornea which is good as if that happens then he definately will not be able to see again.

That's really good news on Dylan again Jane. I am so glad to read it all.

Your opthalmologist sounds really on the ball. Let's hope Dylan is stable enough on the reduced medication to get discharged.

Sending gentle hugs for both of you and keeping fingers crossed that some sight will be restored to that eye. :D

Thank you so much Flo. Your kind words and advice have really helped to keep me positive during this horrible time - much appreciated.:)

Rick, the opthalmologist is absolutely brilliant. The ulcer was so large there was hardly any cornea left to use for the graft so he had to use the white part (not sure of the correct name) of the eye as well. When we saw him this week he said Dylan has proved that even when there is only the tiniest amount of cornea to work with it is still worth doing.

Back