Five years ago I took two dogs to have a scan through the low cost breeders scheme & found that I had two dogs with SM.
One was seven years old & had no symptoms whatsoever, the other was five and very occasionally would give a little yelp for no reason.
At that time there was the suggestion that surgery for younger dogs with very mild symptoms would prevent more nerve damage and offer the best chance of a pain free life.
For a variety of reasons I decided not to go the surgery route, knowing that in 6 months time I could be faced with a rapidly deteriorating situation and would have to face the fact I made the wrong choice for Tom.
Was I right? Well, there was no rapid worsening of symptoms but I still cannot know for sure.
Tommy is still with me, on gabapentin & metacam, symptoms sort of controlled, but I think he is quite uncomfortable sometimes. He looks and acts older than his ten years.
Would he now be better or worse if he had had decompression surgery all those years ago?
There are no answers to some questions. As has been already said, all you can do is make the best decision you can with the information you have been given, and then cross your fingers and start praying.
Cavaliers......Tommy Tuppence 2000-2012 and a half share of Faith.
Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.