• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan's first day on Pregabalin.

*Pauline*

I am excited to say Dylan has been feeling much better already after only one dose of Pregabalin last night.

Dylan has barked for England today and I don't care because I'm glad he has the energy. He has had a full shower whereas I usually only wash the dirty parts as he doesn't have the energy for the zoomies to dry himself. Goodness he looks adorable all pearly white and fluffy. He played tug of war with his sister though he had stopped doing that recently. He's just had an all round happy day. Best of all he cuddled up to me in bed even though he usually moves to the end of the bed if I stroke him. I've also just noticed he's not sleeping behind my chair with head contorted between the drawers and wall but he's on the new bad he usually won't touch. cl*p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81954333@N00/4999641348/
We are on day two of the switchover from Gabapentin. Last night he had his first dose of 50mg Pregabalin with 20mg Rimadyl. This morning he had 150mg Gabapentin and 20 mg Rimadyl and at 4pm he could leave out the Gabapentin if too sedated. He was quite active but scratched a bit so I only gave him 100mg Gabapentin and he will have his second dose of Pregabalin tonight with Rimadyl. The plan is to switch to something better than Rimadyl but, incase of a reaction, we need to introduce new drugs one at a time or you won't know which has caused it.

Pauline, I'm glad to read how well Dylan is doing. :) We noticed all the same positive changes in Geordie with the Lyrica/Pregabalin.

I'm glad you said that Cathy. It seems too good to be true. Did you notice such a quick improvement?

It was very quick, after he had been feeling so poorly. We could tell that he felt better after the first dose, and after the second dose he was playful and cuddly.

I noticed that Dylan is starting on a 50mg dose and he weighs about 8 kg. I'm going to let our neurologists know that Clare has Dylan on the same dose as Geordie. They weren't sure if that would be too high a dose, and we have to take him back every three months for a follow-up and they're watching his blood closely.

I wanted to add that Geordie starts to curve/scratch when he needs to go potty. After he relieves himself, he's back to feeling good again.

So we have him on a feeding schedule of 6am and 6pm, and he always goes right before or after this. Then we give him Lyrica at 8am and 8pm, so he has good pain coverage at potty times. (Charlie had potty-time pain too, that's how we knew to do this.)

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but thought this is something you might want to try in case you might see Dylan scratching. He might not need an extra dose, but just getting on a schedule makes a huge difference.

Now I'm really excited. He had his second dose tonight. From tomorrow, all he will have is Pregabalin and Rimadyl. The dose of Rimadyl is at the top end of the spectrum (20mg twice a day), I made that decision and told my vet, we had no neurologist at that time, I had to do something. Clare said this dose needs blood work but he is coming off it and switching to something that has less of a drop in affect between doses. I can't remember what that was called.

Please don't feel you are hijacking a thread, the more experiences we share, the more we learn.

I haven't noticed any discomfort around toilet trips.

Dylan's First Day on Pregabalin

Please don't feel you are hijacking a thread, the more experiences we share, the more we learn.

I haven't noticed any discomfort around toilet trips.

Could I just say Pauline that's such good news about Dylan, but also what a Wonderful Site this for all you Folk who have Cavaliers suffering from SM.

It's great that you can share your Experiences about what can maybe work for your Cavaliers and pass on the Information that you have found out about this Dreadful Disease.

Karlin, this must give great Comfort to all those who have Cavaliers with SM.

Bet

Oh Pauline thats great newsb*n*n*
My daughter was asking how Dylan was ysterday....she's thrilled to bits to have just read your thread:l*v:

Pauline,
Wow that sounds a great difference and after only two doses, I am so pleased for you and Dylan. :hug:

How is Poppy doing - have you seen any difference yet?

Clare may well start you on Trocoxil which is the once a month one that she seems to favour at the moment.

Minnie has now had 2 doses of 100mg gabepentin, my main worry was that it would sedate her too much - but this morning she was still as lively as ever.:)

p.s. your message box is full:lol:

Oh that is good news about Minnie. Poppy's first evening after two doses was worst than usual. I'm keeping a close eye on her.

Hi, I am sorry, I have tried to keep up with everything but I lost your original thread :?
I am pleased Dylan is feeling a bit better and send both of your lovelies lots of gentle hugs l:hug:

Pauline, soooo glad Dylan's new meds seem to be helping!! :rah:

You must be so excited. :hug:

Back