Thread: My New Puppy--Night-time Crate Issues--NEED SLEEP. Help???

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question My New Puppy--Night-time Crate Issues--NEED SLEEP. Help???

I got my little Blenheim girl 4 days ago. She's a sweetie, but we're having a few issues and I'm not sure how to handle them, but the Biggest one is what happens at night.

I have not been able to sleep for a solid hour at a time. Lucy has a crate, and she falls asleep in my lap every night, then I gently transfer her to the crate, she snuggles down in her fleecy bed--and I close the crate. Suddenly, she turns from sleepy puppy to crying out, freaking out, puppy. The crate is a great size and she loves it during the day- she goes in by herself, quietly chewing on one of her toys.. I already know not to stick her in there as a punishment, so I have no idea what's going on..

I'm utterly bewildered, and I haven't slept more than 2-4 hours a night for the past 4. Is it something I'm doing wrong? What can I do to fix this??

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is sweeter than a sleeping puppy! So I know you love for your baby to fall asleep in your arms! I made that mistake too! Bella (my blenheim girl- now 2 1/2 yrs old) would cry in her crate every night as well. Even though she would sleep in it on her own during the day or play in it with her toys. What I figured out is that going to bed has to be a process for them, just like it is for children. I started telling her, its bedtime, and I would lead her to her crate and let her go in and gave her a blanket that I had slept with so it had my smell on it, along with a little stuffed bear. She still had some nights where she would cry out for a while, but I would go in one time and say "goodnight Bella" and close the door and not go back in or acknowledge her crying. Once she realized she wasn't getting what she wanted, she stopped and went to sleep. She now knows when I say bedtime, she and my other dog Koda go straight to the door of their room, and wait, I will go open the door and they each sit at their crates, and I give them a hug and kiss on the muzzle and they go in and go right to sleep. Now I know if they are crying in their crate, its because sometime is wrong, so now I always go check on them. It take a lot of patience, but its so worth it. Good luck! I'm sure you will get lots of advice here! There are wonderful pet lovers here, that are always willing to help!
    Mom of Bella-Blenheim female born 12-29-07
    Koda, Lilly, Neo, Gizzy,-(dog,cat,birds)
    Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Madison, Brandy, Shayde, Lucas, Abraham.

Post Thanks / Like

The last thing she does before bed should be a wee outside, so after that wee, put her into the crate without falling asleep in your arms. Cover the crate with a blanket too, that may help, or leave a ticking clock or a radio on low, and a big teddy bear! Lewis was happy anywhere his teddy was, even though it was 3 times the size of him!
    We had one night of cries from Lewis and that was all, now he just goes out to do a wee and walks straight into his crate for bed.

Good luck!

PS: dont immediately rush down to her when she cries. Its like a baby.. the cries will get less and less eventually but you have to harden your heart a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    we have this issue with our two at the moment, we dont use crates but they have a bed that would sleep a great dane!
    they sleep in the kitchen and would scratch & scratch & scratch at the door until we let them in to sleep in the bedroom! Which, for want of a good nights sleep, we always gave into, but to be honest i got fed up cleaning another room in the house after them!!!
    So about 6 weeks ago we started the 'bed' thing, when they would scratch we would get up and say 'bed' after a few false starts they got the message.
    We are still learning but they now know that they have to stay in their beds until i get up in the morning, and then they can go in and have a cuddle with Daddy on the bed.

Its a learning curve, i mean we have Cava over a year and we are still learning with her. My most important piece of advice i can give is work as a team, theres no use you doing one thing and a partner doing another! poor dog will just get confused!

Best of luck & would love to see some pics soon!
    Clare
    owned by Cava a Tri Color, age 1 & Spud a Blenheim, age 8 months

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you could try taking your puppy out for a walk before bed to make her feel tired. When you come home let her out for a wee then say bed. Put her in the crate and give a small treat and go out the room. I remember it being hard with our eldest cavalier Sally. She cried for a few nights but we ignored it and eventually it stopped. We have no problems now she jumps into her bed at night for the biscuit. If your puppy is getting what she wants when she is crying she will do it all the more. Good luck with her and let us all know how you get on
    Sally (Blenheim) 01/02/07
    Lois (Tricolour) 25/09/08

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

We had the same thing when Leo was a pup. What you have to do is get a routine and STICK to it.
    I know it's hard but Leo used to cry for several hours at a time. We ended up taking him out of his crate and putting it in the kitchen with the crate door open. We had a radio playing low and one of my T-Shirts in his bed too.
    It took about three nights before he finally settled....now as soon as I say "bedtime" he's straight in to his bed and we dont hear another peep

Dont despair...you'll work it out and peace and tranquility will soon return
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)