• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chesney has a bout of Haemorrhagic Gastroenteritis

timclayton

I've not posted on here for some time but frequently read the forum. We have just had a terrible night with our 2 and 1/2 yr old Chesney. He started with diarrhoea the night before and began vomiting yesterday. All night he continued to vomit and want to outside to diarrhoea. At 4am he passed a significant quantity of red blood in his poos and then again at 5am. Took him to emergency vet in Bury, very professional and well mannered vet called Ben, made the diagnosis of HG on his bloods, his PCV was high, despite not appearing in shock, he had a wet nose.

He has been admitted and put on IV fluids, plamsa expanders, antibiotics and some probiotic. Just phoned the vets up and he's doing ok and appears bright.

I am really worried about our little Ches and his mummy and sister Emily are too. I hope he gets over this, and will post again when I know if he will be ok.

The advise on this site was very important in making the decision to take him to the emergency vets. Thankyou Karlin for such a great site.

Hi Tim

Sorry you're having such a worrying time with Chesney. I've had a Cavalier with gastroenteritis and it is terrifying because it is so sudden - just comes out of the blue with no warning. Glad to hear he's holding his own, and that you've got a good vet to look after him.

Hope all continues to go well :xfngr:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Tim

So glad you got Chesney to vets when you did. HG comes on so quickly and dogs can deteriorate very fast.

Sending Chesney lots of get well wishes.:flwr:

This can happen so quickly and it is terrifying.

I hope Chesney will be back, fully recovered, with you soon.

Chesney is home!!! feeling abit sorry for himself. Its great to have him home the place is not the same without our little boy. Thanks for all the supportive comments and I echo the previous posts on HG. If your dog poops blood get to vets asap whatever the time of day or night!!

oh that's great news - you did exactly the right thing getting him to the vets so fast - yes this is a horrible condition and sadly can by fatal in just a few hours :yikes:(:(

I'm sure the wee man is very pleased to be home- the vet probably told you but keep him on small amounts of a very bland diet [lots of small meals] for a few days, and no treats :eek:

Back