• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

low platelets - help needed

Thank goodness she is ok. I also think the vet owes you some sort of apology and maybe a refund too. Why did she have her blood test in the first place? Maybe you have already said -if so, sorry for asking again.

Original tests were because she was vomiting and had blood in her poo.
Looks like a bad gasto infection at the time.
New vets doing a few more tests as there is another level in bloods that is extremely high (platelets not the problem though).
Thanks all.
If only i had asked this question last week :(
Yvonne

candy has the large platelets

we had this problem with candy (our tri )her pre op bloods where rediculously low (she was getting spayed ) they though the sample container was contaminated so they took another again was low , i looked here for help and found the giant platelette thread , when i mentioned this at the vets got a stroppy response from the nurse/assistant person along the lines of you cant believe all you read on the web , i had to print out the info and show her !!! as soon as they done a manual count all was fine to top it all a locum who had been there for a few days knew all about this .shame he wasnt there sooner would have saved a lot of worry, he said if the platelets were as low as the 'count ' indicated she would be dead !!! not running round trying to get out of the vets !! i hope everything with Holly is ok and i hope you get a decent reduction in your bill

andy

Hi Yvonne:

Will you PM me the name of the vets *privately* please?

I would definitely talk to them about refunding your money for an unnecessary procedure. This platelet issue is something ANY vet in the UK or Ireland should know, where this is one of the most popular breeds. If they refuse, I would politely note you intend to file a complaint with VICAS, the vets organisation, and will consider a small claims court action. I can give you the contact in VICAS.

As Cathy noted, a nanosecond of checking this issue on the internet would have brought up the *common* apparent low platelet issue in this breed. Most breed clubs internationally and many breeders have information posted to their site; I have an article inked here in the health section that can be printed out for vets and always give that handout to new rescue cavalier owners.

Hi All.
I was off line for a while and only getting back to it now.
Holly in flying form thank god. All tests came back from new vets and nothing wrong with her at all.

Karlin - I PM'd you last night with details you were looking for.

Thanks again all.
Y

Well that's fantastic news about Holly, so pleased she is ok - that's a great relief for you, but tragic that you and Holly had to go through all that unnecessary treatment and stress :(:(

Thanks guys. Holly is in great form and seems to be over the shock of the whole episode.

Karlin. Can you PM me the contact you said you had with VICAS.

Thanks - Yvonne

Back