• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ben just ate a wild bird egg

James

I noticed a small broken bird egg (house sparrow I think) lying in my garden today but thought nothing more of it, On letting Ben out he made a beeline for it and licked it up as quick as a flash. I am worried that he will get some gastric illness or parasite from it. I never thought of him when I saw it, my previous dog Toby would never touch anything like that.

Very late for eggs - nature is up the left; there'll probably be snow next week icon_nwunsure

I'm sure he'll be fine Jim - it's late for a bird egg, so it might have been around for a while but they tend to vomit things back up if they don't agree with them.

Just watch him carefully.

Ben had diarrhea for several hours early this morning, he seems to "be firming up" but tired today and his appetite is as intense as ever.
The egg appeared to be fresh unusual as it may seem in late September.

Sorry to hear about the diarrhoea :( it's good that he's getting better now though, obviously got it out of his system. Just keep him on a bland diet for a few days and make sure he drinks plenty so he doesn't get dehydrated.

poor wee fellow - gentle hugs from us all here.

poor guy! hope he is ok!

i had a similar experience this weekend, my bf's dad keeps a beautiful avery full of about 50-70 birds. He has budgies, quail, finches, dove's etc etc (can hardly keep up with them! ). They live in a lovely house with a large garden, my cavies love it there, usually bring them a couple of times a week for a run around and play with their Uncle Dog ( a large springer spaniel!)

I was watching them run around and i could see Spud had something in his mouth, i presumed it was a stick and let him be. As he got closer to me it was one of the budgies, a beautiful blue one! OH MY GOD! total panic, id thought he had killed it!! turns out it was already dead and he had found it on the ground, he was NOT letting it go and he hid away from me where i couldnt get to him & ate it :grnyuk:(sharing a bit with his sister Cava)

I was up the wall thinking he would be really sick & you know what he was fine! A few little cough's of feather-balls but i think our cav's are stronger then we think!

Back