Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Dogs poisoned from something in woods

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stirlingshire, Scotland
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dogs poisoned from something in woods

    I have just read a report of a "King Charles spaniel" dying and another being ill after a walk in Clumber Park, Lincoln, Nottinghamshire, England. Seeminly they had gastic symptoms and it seems to be a natural cause as it was investigated last year after eight dogs died and poison was ruled out.

    Very worrying

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-11404124
    Ben (Blenheim)

    Still missing Toby (Blenheim) and Ciara (Black and Tan)
    www.tobydug.co.uk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Scotland - east coast
    Posts
    9,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    That's so scary

    As it's the same time of year, I would strongly suspect some kind of fungus - some of are highly poisonous. Dogs can eat something so quickly, it's easy to miss.

    The weather conditions seem to have been perfect for fungi - we have many around here this year.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nicki's right - although there were media rumours of poison last year, it was found that the cause of the deaths was fungi, and there is a general warning out for Nottinghamshire. We all need to be careful - especially where newly cut grass in public parks and playing fields contains small chunks of fungus - a dog died from that last year, too, in another part of the country. It's difficult to stop dogs picking up small objects from grass, you can't keep an eye on them all the time; but we can be alert to anything unusual in our dogs' behaviour, and if in doubt get them to the vet asap.

    Kate, Oliver and Aled

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Wow, that is scary.

    My experience with fungus (what we call 'toadstools/poisonous mushrooms' in the US): You can usually smell it on their breath. When India was a puppy, she ate a toadstool, and I thought I saw it, but wasn't certain. I smelled it on her breath, so I called the emergency vet, and India vomited it up while I was on the phone. The vet told me I was lucky she vomited it up so quickly, and told me to keep track of how many times she vomited afterwards - evidently if they do vomit the fungus (which is good) you then have to make sure they don't get dehydrated from being ill over a period of several hours.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tipperary Ireland
    Posts
    1,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How scary. I try to keep a vigilant eye even on the back garden, as many mushrooms have been growing there this year!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •