• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried about Barney

Teresa

I'm a bit worried about Barney at the moment, you may remember that he was scanned as part of the Ruperts Fund scanning program....Unfortunately he was found to have a syrinx and CM...(And something similar to glue ear)
I've always thought Barney didn't display symptoms of SM but I think he has mild symptoms that seem to be getting worse, I've always thought they were what the average dog did. Barney is made of stern stuff and rarely complains even when he was extemely lame a few years back he woudln't let on to the vet where the problem was.

Anyway a few things have been setting off alarm bells. One being increasing times where Barney seems to twitch and glaze over...this can be once in a week or more common, sometimes three times in half an hour. This causes no distress to him and he's right as rain after.

Ten mins ago Barney was very distressed, rubbing the floor, scratching himself and the floor, crying in a very quiet way, only I could hear it. He seemed to want to scratch himself with his right back leg but didn't quite make it. He was wide eyed and obviously uncomfortable!! This went on for about five mins - the longest time yet. He's fast asleep now.

This was the worst episode yet and has made me feel very sad and upset!! Honestly it's as bad as when the children get ill!!

I think time has come to speak to the vet about it all....

Sorry to go on I just feel very worried and sad at the moment...xx

Hi Teresa,

Take Barney back to the vet and get him checked out. If it's time for him to go on meds at least he'll be sorted. It must be horrible to see him in obvious discomfort.....but at least you know there are many people here who understand what you're going through and can give valuable help and advice.

Let us know how you get on

Mel:hug:

Hi Teresa,
I know exactly how you feel. Daisy was diagnosed through a low cost scheme as well and until she had a similar episode like that I couldn't say for certain that she was symptomatic.Once you've spoken with your vet,it'll be a tremendous relief.
Frusemide is a very cheap and well tolerated drug and can help a lot.It might be no harm to put him on it anyway.
It's also worthwhile having him checked for something as simple as earmites or an ear infection which can also be unpleasant.So good luck at the vets and let us know how it goes.
Sins

Thanks guys!! It is such a worry I really don't want to see him that uncomfortable!! My vets are very good, I think I'll book to see the head vet on Monday and take his scan with me :((

Thanksfully he's been ok the rest of the day, his usual chilled out self. I'm going to go for a short walk with them now and see how he is..

Thanks again, xx

Since his diagnosis is a syrinx and CM, you might want to ask your vet to prescribe Gabapentin and a proton pump inhibitor like Omeprazole (which can be bought as a generic, over the counter medicine) as soon as possible, unless there is a good reason to delay starting him on these meds.

The proton pump inhibitor reduces the production of cerebrospinal fluid, and will therefore reduce the pressure, making him more comfortable and possibly slowing the progression of the syrinx (keeping it from growing larger.)

I'm really sorry to hear this Teresa, we were so grateful that you agreed to have him wscanned under the scheme - but at least it means that you were aware to look for any symptoms, and can now get him on treatment straight away.

Take the treatment diagram with you off either http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/ or http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/

It sounds like he's possibly also having focal seizures - Rupert also had these. Just very brief episodes.

It may help to write down everything you are seeing to show the vet.

Take care - hopefully once he's started on treatment he will be more comfortable and you will both feel better.

It's always so hard to have to face the fact that our beloved Cavaliers might be showing increased symptoms, but others are right in advising that you take him to your vet (armed with the info from this forum and Clare Rusbridge's treatment recommendations).

My Megan experienced some similar sounding problems to what you describe in 2007. It was a shock to discover that she had SM and very bad hydrocephalus. But 3 years later, she is still my beautiful soulmate, thanks to her regular medications and a lot of TLC. We are looking forward to her 12th birthday at the end of November.

Good luck with Barney and do let us know how you get on :wggle:

Right, I've written a letter to my usual vet and included a copy of Barney's MRI scan and also lots of information from here...I am going to book an appointment to see her this week but thought the information would give a head start. Also I was worried I'd miss something out!!

I'm full of cold and feeling sorry for myself today!! Barney on the other hand had seemed fine since Saturday and is oblivious to me being a bit sad about his probs!!

Thanks again everyone, Teresa.

I'm full of cold and feeling sorry for myself today!! Barney on the other hand had seemed fine since Saturday and is oblivious to me being a bit sad about his probs!!

Thanks again everyone, Teresa.

Hope you soon feel better. :flwr: Hope that you are able to get a good outcome when you take Barney to your vet. What a good idea sending all the information to your vet first, it must really help you vet to be able to absorb it all instead of rushing through it at the surgery visit.

The vet I usually see has been away until yesterday, the receptionist has passed the information on to her and I have an appointment at five tonight...I will be interested to hear what she thinks.
Barney has seemed ok since his "funny five minutes" A bit of scratching and rubbing the floor but no crying thankfully!!

Thank again for you replies :))

That's good to hear - they can have these infrequent episodes. Good luck for the appointment, please let us know how you get on.

Hi Nicki, The vet was lovely, she was very glad I dropped the info in before the appointment. Poor lady, I felt like I bombarded her with loads of waffle in my letter....typical me!!

She agreed that the signs are that Barney is showing symptoms and has started him on a low dose of Frusemide for two weeks then to review it.
She has had experience of Cavs with SM as my friends two both had it (Sadly one was so bad it was pts :((.)

On examination Barney didn't flinch and has been fine since.
Teresa...xx

Back