• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rosie's Problem - Advice Please

Chestergates remains convenient and has excellent neurologists!

I agree! All mine have been scanned there too and at a pinch I can do this as a (long!) day trip by ferry (once part by plane as well). The U is fortunate to have a number of excellent centres with great neurologists, many of them offering low cost basic scans too. :)

Hello All

I have tried to keep off CT as I wanted to watch and decide my self ,my little girl was fine and on Wed was running jumping as normal so today I had a big smile on my face as after speaking to some high up knowledgeable Cav people I had virtually decided to watch and wait as Rosie to me was in no distress or any form of pain or discomfort.One comment made by an ex health rep of a club "was you know your dog " .After tonights walk she wouldn't jump into the porch and neither go up the stairs and has just crawled under the bed and cried out .No More .Ten mins ago I phoned Chestergates spoke to a kind person and tomorrow first thing just advise my insurance company and take her there for a full consultation and maybe a full scan if needed with a neurologist either Sat afternoon or Sunday afternoon just read Rupert's story followed by Charlie's story and I was crying .

Can somebody pls tell me what to expect I hope they don't look first for Sm as I still hold out I hope its a back problem and if this is so will they just diagnose this ,I am fearfully they may only be interested in SM cases and therefore try and direct all down that avenue .I am posting rubbish as I am not happy person tonight and nervous for my Rosie and the unknown ,pls help.

Hi Brian

As I said in an earlier post, Oliver has spondylosis as well as SM. I had taken him for a second mini-scan in May which had shown that his very small syrinx had doubled in size but was still small; after a mini-scan, the neurologist will look at the scan with you but you don't get a proper consultation. At that stage, still no obvious symptoms. In June he developed the spondylosis, which made him very wobbly on his back legs and obviously uncomfortable. My vet X-rayed him and diagnosed spondylosis, but given that he also had SM, recommended that I took him to Chestergates to see a neurologist in case there was more to it than straight spondylosis (we happen to have a vet who did her internship with Clare Rusbridge!). So I went three times and saw Ulrika Michal, who was very careful to separate out the SM and the spondylosis. She recommended complete rest, and had me back to make sure that this was working. She also felt that Oliver had a bit of pain when his back was pressed hard above his syrinx, so put him on a small dose of gabapentin, with furosemide to help his dilated ventricles, and sent a comprehensive report to my own vet. One of the best things about becoming Ulrika's patient is that I can still ring her for advice, which my vet encourages me to do when Oliver seems to have SM-related problems (such as the bad headache he got last autumn due to very strong sunlight).

You will find everyone at Chestergates friendly and caring. They know better than anyone how devastating the diagnosis of SM can be for Cavalier owners - Geoff Skerritt said wryly to me that they run up a flag on the roof when they scan a Cavalier who hasn't got it! I think they really do hope that they won't have to diagnose SM yet again. The reception staff remembered Oliver when he came back (though I think they also remembered the homemade shortbread I took for the staff at each visit!); you will also meet dogs with other neurological problems, and every owner I met said how good Chestergates had been with their dogs - they deal with all sorts of neurological conditions, not only SM. They have very good free coffee in the machine in the waiting room too!

You may find that some of Rosie's present pain is due to not having rest for her back problem, but anyway you will be able to help her far better after your visit to Chestergates, whatever the problem is.

All the best,

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Last edited:
Hi Brian. They will be asking you lots of questions and you will have plenty of opportunity to tell them you are concerned it may be a back problem. I can only tell you what I would do and if they offer you a scan, I'd take the opportunity, then you will know for sure. The scan might be a great way to investigate the spine too. Please don't worry Brian.

Brian, its great that you are able to access a neurologist so close to you and so quickly. I hope, with everything crossed, :xfngr:that it is a simple muscular problem, but at least you will know one way or another what you are dealing with. Please take care and try not to worry too much until you know what it is that you are dealing with. Will be thinking of you over the weekend.

This is what ellas neurologist said. He said the majority of the time he sees SM is as a secondary condition. A dog may have an unrelated issue (like back) or a disk etc. And he will discovery they also have CM or SM but that was not the reason for the MRI. From what everyone said about chestergates it sounds like rosie is in good hands. The main thing is they are also wanting to figure out everything. Express your concerns and their job is to help

I love rupert and ella along with everyone on this forum but I also know sometimes you need to clear your head. don't do what I did and watch videos, read stories, etc. Right now. It really made me worse. Nikki I hope you don't mind but rupert will be there and we all are when you need us. I know I needed a couple of days before I talked. I also think I made ella not as happy. So take care of her. Take bunch of pictures, sit outside with your four beauties and the rest will come.

I hope you are asleep but don't beat yourself up! That's what you always tell me! The thing is you already are doing what you can. I want to be there but I am in spirit.

You need to put your faith that you have with the doctors and no matter what, I am sure they will do everything for your angel. Please take care of yourself. *ng*l*ng*lmay angels look over you this weekend

Hi

Saturday is here ,firstly Rosie seems better but still had to be carried upstairs ,so at my vets to see Mr Marsden at 8.30 just for final advice and it was go to Chestergates .Phoned AXA at 9.00am to advise claim and for forms to be posted out they were fine and reminded me that it is life cover if the worst turns out .Next phone Chestergates spoke to a lady and confusion, it seem what I was told last night was wrong they don't do consultations or scans on a Sat or Sun ,so I held my ground. she then asked if it was an emergency and my response was it was not for me to decide but had just been to my vets and he said go ,she reconsidered and said she would speak to Martin Deutchsland and my vets and phone back .Which she did 20 Min's later and advised that because of the wrong info I was given last night and it being an error on their part Martin said he will see Rosie today at 3.00 pm.
Just been for a quick walk in the park and now home and as Rosie has had no breakfast I phoned Chestergates to ask and was told no food pls as Martin will scan today if needed ,just checked my Satnav and they are 11 mile from home so I will leave around 2.00 pm and get there early ,just Rosie and me so fingers crossed pls around 3.00 pm and thank you all for your kind support.

Thinking of you and Rosie. I'm glad they are sorting things out quickly for you. I hope it turns out to be something that can be fixed. Is anyone going with you? :hug:

Thanks Pauline

No just me and Rosie ,Luke has a lot of course work for school and my wife Dawn is not Cavalier loopy me.

Hi Brian
Thinking of you and Rosie today. please do not worry.
Hope you get the all clear later.
Cavalier cuddles from me and Murphy.
:flwr:

We will be thinking of you Brian, you are doing the right thing getting Rosie scanned then you will know for sure what is going on. It's far better to know than the agony of not knowing, even if it's not the news you want to hear...

Don't forget that the majority of them have the malformation, and some do have symptoms just from that [like people].

Martin is excellent, he is very experienced and a really nice guy, so you are in very capable, understanding and caring hands.

You know that everyone on the board will be with you in spirit - so take that support with you, give Rosie a gentle cuddle from us before you go, and don't forget to update us as soon as you get home.

Rosie will need a small bland meal when she gets home, so maybe be preapred for that before you go.

Drive safely - at least you don't have too far to go.

I know it's hard but you are definately doing the right thing. I'll be thinking of you both at 3.00 pm.:hug:

Good luck Brian,
Hope it all goes well for Rosie and that Chestergates get to the root cause of her pain.
We'll all be thinking of you this afternoon.
Sins

Hi
On my phone had consutation and he watched poked pulled prodded questioned and his diagnosis was under examination PERFECTLY NORMAL horray but while here because of possible cm may as
Well scan and have a look .what a relief I owe u all a big hug shall go and sit in car for next two hours will update later

Last edited:
Oh, fantastic news !
Let's hope for the all-clear officially in 2 hours time.
Fingers and toes crossed!

Brian, We've been on tender hooks here today....Im so glad it sounds positive. The neurologist we saw was sure Leo had SM but the scan results showed CM.
I know it's still not a perfect diagnosis but the knowing was a huge relief.......you are so wise to scan Rosie.

Keep us up todate. I was moved that you've shed tears as when Leo went to have his scan I sobbed like a baby the entire time....and when they told me the results I cried againicon_whistling

Hi
Sitting in car expect till about 6.30 to 7.00 ,do they give
U a copy of scan ? More good news Birmingham 0 Everton 2 ,
Come on my Rosie

Hi
Sitting in car expect till about 6.30 to 7.00 ,do they give
U a copy of scan ? More good news Birmingham 0 Everton 2 ,
Come on my Rosie

Hi Brian

Havent replied up until now but just to let you know we are all thinking of you. I remember only too well sitting in a car for hours waiting for my result with all number of thoughts running about in my head.

What ever happens, happens and you will be able to face it with all information available to you.
Im not sure about Chestergates but at Stone Lion the scan was shown to me at the consultation after and then I waited a few days for the report to be sent through.

Good Luck again

Back