Thread: Had to rush Polly to the 24 hour emergency animal hospital friday night...

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Had to rush Polly to the 24 hour emergency animal hospital friday night...

I picked little Polly up from my moms Friday night when I was getting home from work and when I got home, my husband and I noticed that she was swaying her head back and forth and kept toppling over. Like she would be sitting there and then lose her balance. She was asleep when I went over to get her, so nobody could tell anything was wrong. My mom said she'd been curled up asleep with my dad for the past hour or so.
    We rushed her to the emergency clinic and they did blood tests, EKG, Xrays, etc. At first her heart was beating oddly, they were worried it was heart trouble. She recently saw a cardiologist for a check up and also had a recent vet visit, her heart had no hint of anything wrong, so this seemed unlikely to me. Husband started to cry. It was SO SO scary. After looking at her xrays and pulse tests, etc they came to the conclusion that she may have eaten something she shouldn't have such as swallowed a pill (maybe someone dropped something and didnt realize). Her blood tests came back normal for everything except her kidney level was off. They gave her something to empty her stomach, and there was nothing odd there, so it must have been something that absorbed into her system rather quickly. They kept her overnight ( I would have slept on the floor if they had let me!!) gave her fluids and charcoal. More blood tests etc. I called throughout the night to check on her.
    They called me saturday morning and said she was MUCH better and her recent blood test was showing her kidneys were back in the normal zone. I couldn't wait to pick her up! She had an IV in her (she has a little bald spot on her leg now) and was thrilled to see us. Once home, she acted like nothing had even happened. I'm so grateful my baby is ok, the vets were fantastic and so very nice.
    My poor mom was a worried wreck, she doesn't know what she could have gotten into as they are very careful with her. Perhaps she found something that had been dropped w/o anyone realizing (my parents are both on a few medications including blood pressure) but it's still a bit of a mystery.
    Our bill was almost $1500. Luckily I have Pet Plan insurance with 100% coverage and only $100 deductible. PHEW!!!
    Erin aka Mommy to Polly (Blenheim) 3-30-2009 And Cat children, Salem, Emma & Ellie
    The love of my life
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    Tobey- I miss you terribly my sweet boy. We will be together again

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Erin,
    You've had such a dreadful shock.Cavaliers are such little scavengers it literally could have been anything she'd picked up along the way.
    Luckily you had such good 24 hour cover close to you,what an upsetting weekend you've had.
    I'm so pleased she's made a full recovery.
    Sins
    Last edited by sins; 29th September 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a relief that Polly is ok (and that your insurance will cover the bill). Glad to hear she is ok now. I bet it will take you longer to get over the whole episode.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

What a nightmare for you all!! Thank god for petplan eh! and shes fine which is such a relief!!
    Their wee noses can sniff out the tiniest edible thing!!!
    Glad all is ok!!
    ann x
    Barney (TRI), Ruby (RUBY) and the newbie Ralphie (B&T)
    and the cats Mollie and Blue xx

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear. You must have been so afraid. Good to know everything is ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So glad she is home again and OK - that must have been just terrifying, and it is especially hard when you cannot figure out what is happening or why.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank God little Polly is ok and thank God for pet insurance.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "