• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Backwards step with Abbie, any advice would be great..

KarenS

Hi, I am new to this site so hopefully I can do this right.. We have a 14 week old blenheim puppy called Abbie, she is our first dog so its a big learning process for us. We have a slight problem however in that we seem to be going backwards with seperation issues. Abbie has her own room with her crate, toys and water. She used to love going out here every morning after her play where she can relax and have a snooze. We all work and go to college during the day so she needs to be left alone, however we ensure its not for more than 2 hours at a time. Only in the last week or so Abbie has started howling when she is put to the room, she eventually settles and goes of to sleep, the radio is left on and we have a ticking clock in her crate which soothes her I think. But she used never cry like this when she had to go out there. Is this a seperation issue? Does anyone know how we can help her to know that her room is a nice place for her? She does love the room as she often goes out there during the day just to hang out but as soon as the door is closed she cries terribly. I hate her being so upset and would appreciate any advice :)

Hello Karen

I tsounds as if you're doing all the right things. Abbie at 14wks thoughis going through lots of emotions. She now knows and loves you all, and has lots of fun and cuddles with you, so she does miss you when you're not there. She is growing up a little bit also, so like a small child, she is also trying to see how far she can push the boundries.

It is distressing when she cryes, but you know that deep down she likes her room and is not frightened of it. SoI suggest you persevere with the routine that she will have to adapt to. She will accept it. All dogs respond better to set routines, they can understand what is expected of them, and that a couple of hours by themselves will be rewarded with a nice walk, or some dinner, or playtime and cuddles.

Don't give in though and keep rushing into her room every time she crys, that way she wins.:) Try and think of something that will give her brain something to do - like a bit of food inside a Kong that she has to work for to get out, it will give her something to do and take her mind away from being alone.

Perhaps you could use a baby gate instead of closing a door. Also, she may be happier in a room like the kitchen, where people often congregate.

My dogs are happy in the kitchen with gates in the doorways when we're away, and our kitchen is where I all spend most of my time when I'm at home.

Thanks so much for yer advice.. in the last couple of days she's been much better, tried putting some food in a plastic bottle and she plays with that and goes off to sleep. Was at the vet with her however, she has an infection in her anal glands so maybe she has been off form with that. Apparantly at 14 weeks she's far too young to be suffering from this though.

Perhaps you could use a baby gate instead of closing a door. Also, she may be happier in a room like the kitchen, where people often congregate.

My dogs are happy in the kitchen with gates in the doorways when we're away, and our kitchen is where I all spend most of my time when I'm at home.

I agree with both responses... but I do firmly believe that dogs like to be somewhere where all the family is a lot of the time. If you put her somewhere like the kitchen, she can be in her crate and watch all the goings-on and when she is alone, she will learn that somebody will come in sometime... the baby gate is a great idea too.

As I always say, you unfortunately have to teach your dog how to be alone, even if it is not natural for them, it's something that will be very useful for all of you. It's hard but persevere!

Back