Thread: RIP Sweet Goldie

Post Thanks / Like

Default RIP Sweet Goldie

Goldie has been with us for 19+ years. I've lost track on when she came into our lives. Could have been in 1990 or around that time. Back then, I've never had a cat that lived long. Growing up on a farm, I've had lots and lots of farm cats, but none lived long lives. It's hard to remember when we got her as a kitten.

Goldie proved me wrong for a cat to live a long life. Her end of life was getting bad. I don't think any doctoring would have helped her much. I felt so guilty on taking her to the vet Sat morning, but it was something we had to do.

She has extra toes on her front paws which helped her to be a great mouser in her younger days. Every morning she would have a "treat" for us on the steps. Many times she would even make it into the house with it. Nothing like stepping on a soft furry thing in the middle of the night! She would meow out our bedroom window when she wanted to come in. Towards her last few years, she never went outside except to sun herself.

She was hit by a car, we think, in 1997 or 98. Had to have her leg amputated. It cost us $300 and we thought, gee she better live for awhile to have that pay off! She showed us!

I tried to find younger photos of her, I'm still looking, so here are some from the last few years.

She had lots of fine fine hair. After awhile she quit grooming, so I had to brush it out. It would matt terrible, very hard to trim those out.

On her last morning, looking oh so gray and tired.
    Idette along w/Armani (Tri) & Tracer - (MS), Goldie & Blackie - kitties

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost your beautiful cat.

She looks very special - and had such a wonderful long life, and you obviously have many happy memories. She did well to recover from losing a limb - although it was a lot of money, it was obviously well worth it to have her back with you.

It's sad that as they get older they can't manage to look after their own coats, but wonderful that she had you to care for her.

We're thinking of you tonight
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I am just catching up on CavTalk and saw your wonderful post and photos of Goldie. So sorry for our loss.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

So very sorry she had a wonderfully life with you run free Goldie
    --Aileen
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry to read about Goldie.

It was certainly $300 well spent.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What a beautiful, long-lived cat! She is like a little lion in that first picture -- gorgeous. Sounds like she tried to use up a few lives along the way but reaching 19 -- amazing. It seems like it was her time and she needed a loving hand to help her -- it is always so hard but it is a kind and respectful thing to do.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to read about your Goldie. She was a beautiful cat who lived a long, happy and loving life with you.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your loss, my old cat died last year aged 18 and after all those years it was quite a loss.
    Ben (Blenheim)

Still missing Toby (Blenheim) and Ciara (Black and Tan)
    www.tobydug.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so very sorry that you lost your beautiful Goldie. She seemed very special. And to live to 19!!! WOW!!! That's great. About two years ago, one of my friends lost a cat, his name was Elroy and he lived to be 19 as well. Bless! Run free Goldie!