• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

advice please

lolas mum

Hi I already have Lola a 4yr old Tri and now i have rescued a 3yr old Blenheim on monday....well i say rescued,basically down to a marriage spilt ne was no longer wanted and i was asked if i could take him so i did. He is absolutly georgous and Lola loves him,the only thing is he is a little under weight so i ma feeding him on chicken and rice diet 3 x per day which he is loving.
I have him booked in to the groomers today to be pampered because he came to me in a mess with very long nails which i have had done yesterday so that's all sorted. He is at the vets tomorrow for jabs and a health check and im just praying his heart is ok.

What i wanted to know is what would you advise on the best way to build him up again please,do i just stick with the chicken and rice or is there something better for him.

Many thanks
Sharon Lola & Charlie xxx

Good for you for taking him in. What weight is he? What we often think is underweight is often a good weight for a fit Cavalier - the majority of Cavaliers are actually overweight. He should have a waistline and you should be able to clearly feel his ribs. If he actually is underweight, most dog treats will put on the pounds! Or simply feeding him more. But watch it - some Cavaliers will balloon at the slightest opportunity!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi thanks for your reply,is isn't skinny and yes he has a good waist line too but when you stroke him i can feel his spine more than i can feel lola's if you know what i mean!

Im not sure on his wait untill we visit the vet tomorrow but he feels the same as lola and she was 14kg last time she was weighed.

I think i will keep him on the chicken and rice for now i have wormed him this morning as i don't know when he was wormed last and i am front lining him tomorrow once his been groomed

To be honest, if 14kg wasn't a typing error, it sounds as if Lola needs to be on a diet! Of my two, I try to keep Oliver at about 9.5kg and Aled is 9.4kg and could probably go down to 9kg with no ill effects. Both have low level heart murmurs (Oliver Grade 2 at 9 years, Aled, who is a rescue, Grade 3 at 3 years), so keeping them at a good weight could be a matter of life or death. Unless Lola is very tall for a Cavalier, she should probably weigh between 10 and 11kg - I'm hardly surprised that your new one seems skinny by comparison! It's so easy not to notice that dogs you see every day are putting on weight - but it is so bad for Cavaliers with their inherited heart problems. Worming is a good idea, hope it makes a difference.

All the best, I know you'll do what is best for your Cavaliers.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

advice

Good for you for taking him in. What weight is he? What we often think is underweight is often a good weight for a fit Cavalier - the majority of Cavaliers are actually overweight. He should have a waistline and you should be able to clearly feel his ribs. If he actually is underweight, most dog treats will put on the pounds! Or simply feeding him more. But watch it - some Cavaliers will balloon at the slightest opportunity!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

You are doing the best thing by taking him to the vet and getting him checked with bloodwork chemistries and also a stool sample to rule out any worms as worms can make them lose weight , I would feed him a good nutritional diet , now everyone has their own conclusion on what is the best diet for their dog but you want a balanced diet that , has been scientifically proven , a lot of food companies out there have all these ingredients listed in their foods that sounds good but have they done studies on them, Most have not so be careful . I use science diet adult for my adult dogs and puppy for my puppies always works for me, and my dogs have always had a nice coat and lived a good amount of years good luck :p :p

Back