Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SORTED: foster needed by tomorrow. Tri Boy in Dunboyne

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Afraid they decided they didn't want him back -- he needs foster from tomorrow; just about to post. He got to emergency foster thanks to a kind person but needs immediate foster or a home...

He is 7-8 years old and his real name is Rocco.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Can I help?
    BK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He needs longer term foster but in a pinch I will take you up Brid for short term as he def needs a place to go tomorrow. I am working on this today. I appreciate your help with recent dogs that have been needing a brief place to stay while waiting for a home or long term foster place, and the offers of help from others on the board! A lot of background shuffling goes on and even if a dog doesn't go to someone I really appreciate the offers and the fallback.

Just a note on the issue generally raised by this dog's thread -- if people are working together to help out with cavalier, be sure always to check with the original rescuers (n this case, Martina) on the needs of any dog they have in rescue, especially if I am not reachable (as was the case most of this past week). Though I work closely with this particular rescue, they are the rescue that works through this pound and the dogs in the pound all go to rescue ONLY via the rescue posting the dog as needing help. They don't automatically go to me (eg Irish Cavalier Rescue) and I do not have access to this pound; offers of help have to go through A Dog's Life. (on the other hand, if someone is interested in a dog for themselves, go immediately to the given pound and reserve the dog. Rescue only gets the dog if no one else puts their name down and there's no guarantee we get them. Anyone can go to the pound and put their name down -- though they will then be dealing directly with the pound to home and pay release and homing fees involved at that particular pound. No rescue will be involved).

Martina and A Dog's Life know I'll help with any cavalier if I can, and that I will also try to take out any cavalier-ish mix. So people can contact Martina to that end but please alwaysPM me or text me to check that I can actually take a dog!! I *CANNOT* take any dog including cavaliers if I have no foster place or kennel place for it. I have an extreme shortage of long term fosters which make it very hard for me to have more than a couple of dogs in rescue at any time. I also have minimal funds but will always try to at least get a cavalier into a kennel short term if it is at risk of being pts. But unless someone is offering potential long term foster themselves to Martina, making a short term arrangement without checking with me first (or if I am away or you cannot get me, Tara at Dog Training Ireland who will usually be able to make an arrangement ) is sadly not workable. I just cannot manage dogs that have no prospect of anywhere to go because I have no ability to foster them myself. Some long term foster commitment needs to be there for them long term until they can be homed. If anyone is interested in being available as a foster please do let me know!!

Tp give some context: at the moment I have half a dozen cavaliers in rescue with over half a dozen cavaliers and cav mixes homed in recent weeks as well. Another two cavaliers, I had to refer to a different rescue as I had no ability to deal with them. Two others this past week were sorted without needing to come directly into rescue. I am really full up and need a foster place for this one; without foster places I unfortunately cannot take any further dogs in. I always welcome help!!
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

You can ring/text at any stage!
    BK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great, thanks! He is currently in Newbridge so if anyone can do transport tomorrow, let me know and I'll keep you on call if needed. I am hoping we can get him sorted.

I do have some funds for kennelling but would always prefer to have a cavalier, especially an older fellow, in a home rather than in a kennel when their world has just been turned upside down.

I just cannot understand how people can decide to leave their dog in the pound.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I could collect him tonight if that's possible?
    BK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just had a call out of the blue, and he is getting sorted. There's a foster available in the same place he is already located and a potential home in mind -- who were already interested in him; very happy coincidence as they thought he'd been reclaimed.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope he finds a home. I can't understand someone leaving their dog in a pound and not wanting to collect it. He's obviously better off in another home. This sort of thing really angers me having had experience of someone starving their dog and throwing it onto the streets to live on puddle water. That's what Sonny's life was like before we had him and I'm sorry to say Elise and I feel there's no excuse to treat a dog like that. I hope whoever takes him on keeps us up to date with how he is getting on , he's a wee beauty!!
    Carol

Proud Mummy to Kaley, 9 year old Tricolour
    Sonny ,Blen ( at the Bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Thta's great news Karlin!
    BK

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karlin
    If all else failed for Frodo I'd planned to bring him up to Belfast and spoke to Martina about that. A local rescue had offered to help rehome but to be honest if he fitted in with my lot, once he was up, it was unlikely he'd move on. I was willing to pay vet fees etc myself as I know everyone is short of funds [me too but that's what Visa cards are for!]. Keep me in mind for long-term foster; probably too far away to help with short-term but can come up and down as necessary.
    Willow, Bertie & Finn [Blenheim & Tri Cavs],Eden [German Shepherd], Casper [BF Amazon], 2 ex-Bat Hens, 4 Cockatiels & a Barraband in a pear tree