• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Prayers for Holly

You can do this Tara!! I know you can. Sounds like you've got a great team of experts behind you. You and Holly may actually enjoy the physical therapy. Shelby did it after 4 months of crate rest from her patella surgery (done twice) and she looked forward to the PT, and it sounds like we did the exact same things (rom exercises, massage and water therapy). With all you two have been through in the past several weeks I just know you'll get through this as well.

Oh Tara--my heart's in my throat because I'm JUST reading all of this. I know how much you love that little girl. I hope her recovery is as complete as can be. Thinking of you and sending "healing" wishes!

Hi all! I HAVE AN AWESOME UPDATE!!! Holly is now three weeks into her physical therapy. She started out with a 90 degree range of motion in the right hind hip -- AND IS NOW AT 145 DEGREES (normal range of motion is 155-160)! She is up to four ten minute walks a day and uses all four legs very well. I no longer see the "buckling" of the right hind foot, which means that the nerve damage is healing itself. She continues to walk on the aqua therapy treadmill, with each week showing more and more strength in the right hind leg.

Holly walks on all fours without a limp and is really enjoying life again. We go back for a check-up at the University the end of December. I am really looking forward to showing her team the progress she's made.

I never thought we'd be this far along just 8 weeks after surgery. Except for the lack of tail, Holly is very close to being "back to normal." I'll continue to work with her over the next several weeks and continue her Adequan injections as well. Thank you all for your wishes of love and support -- THEY ARE WORKING!

This is just wonderful news, so thrilled for you - a real tribute to your love and devotion.

Holly is an amazing wee dog to be recovering so quickly - she is obviously a fighter, and it sounds like the two of you are working well as a team.

So important that the nerve damage is correcting itself - that is probably the best news.

We are all with you - give yourself a big hug and congratulations on doing so well, I know there must have been some very dark days along the way, but it's great that you are seeing such positive results.

Special love to Holly from all of us here. xx

Well done to both you and Holly.

:)Holly's namesake here, Holly Poppet, sends her love and more good wishes. She says that she has always been sure that 'the other Holly' could do it. :lol:

I've just read this thread for the first time today. So very glad that Holly is recovering. What a tragic accident, even when one is careful! It can happen so quckly, in our house we always shut one door before opening another, but when guests come, (especially non-doggy ones) they don't understand and think we're paranoid!!!! No way!! It just shows how careful we all must be.
My thoughs are with you and Holly.

Tara, I am so pleased at the way you and Holly waethered this storm. You deserve a lot of respect and Holly is so lucky to belong to your family.

Congratulations on Holly's clean MRI scan, too. Unfortunately, we don't hear that good news often enough.

Tara,
I just recently caught up with your thread about poor little Holly. I was just heartbroken for you...I couldn't imagine! But I am SO incredibly happy to hear of her excellent progress!! Such wonderful news!!:rah: What a brave little girl she is. I commend you so much for all the hard work and many steps you've been going through to get her back on track and on the road to recovery. It's so refreshing to see people go to such great lengths to take care of their pets because they absolutely deserve it. I would go to the ends of the earth for my girl :l*v: Keep up the great progress!! Go Holly!!!

Oh my goodness! I just caught up with this thread too. How terrible a situation for you to be in, but Thank God all is ok and you guys did so very well. All the best to you:flwr:

I too seem to have missed this incredible story first time around, but am so pleased to read the latest report of Holly's amazing progress. She just couldn't have better TLC than from you and your family, Tara. Thank you so much for sharing what must have been such a difficult few weeks.

Hang on in there, Holly - Cavaliers and their humans from all around the globe are sending healing thoughts :d*g::wggle:

Waw. I am impressed with how you deal with this. I am always terrified off leaving the door open, living in NYC, I sometimes even return halfway on my way to the subway to make sure that i closed the door completely... When she was a baby she escaped once and ran downstairs onto the street, that event has always stayed with me to where now I am neurotic about it. And still I know these things cant always be avoided... I wish Holly the best possible recovery!!!!!

Thank you all so very much for the love and support you've sent our way throughout this whole ordeal. I can't express how much it means to me. I also can't express how fortunate I feel to have Holly in the condition she is now. When she went into surgery, we really sent her in blind -- there was no way to know whether she'd walk again or even regain urinary or bowel continence.

I certainly didn't do this alone. The cavalier community has been wonderful -- a real testament to this bread. My family has been wonderful as well. I'll never forget the look on my husband's face when I told him I was taking Holly to Gainesville to meet with a team of experts, that she would most likely have surgery there and that it would be very expensive with no promise of good results. He didn't hesitate, but just said, "go."

I've loved the physical therapy part of this journey. I didn't think it was possible to feel closer to Holly, but our relationship has grown so. I'm so proud of her spirit and determination to work hard and overcome her deficits. I plan to share her story with as many people as possible, hopefully through our therapy work. I also think she's a strong example of why good breeding is so important. I have no "facts" to support this, but I believe that her strong neurological condition prior to the accident helped her body deal with the trauma to the spinal region. I know now, through the MRI done prior to surgery, that Holly would be graded "A" in a breeding program using the SM protocol. I wonder whether an otherwise neurogically compromised dog could have sustained these injuries without further complications.

Thank you again for all of your support. It means more than you'll ever know.

Back