Thread: Does your dog hate having his nails clipped?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does your dog hate having his nails clipped?

This is a really nice video demonstrating how to condition your dog to accept nail clipping. You will need a helper. I am going to see if I can "train" my hubbie to be my assistant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWZUcLfHXLE

J.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire

Post Thanks / Like

Alfie, my rescue Cav is very good about having his nails clipped, ears cleaned, teeth brushed or anything else you do to him. He loves the attention, and just lays there happy as a clam. Lily on the other had, my SM dog, hates all of the grooming routine, and especially her nails. She screams the entire time her nails are being clipped, and it breaks my heart, but we have to keep them short, because she scratches her ears so much her nails get caught in her ears, and she will just sit there whimpering waiting for us to help her get them untangled. I am always afraid she will get stuck like that while we aren't home to help her. I know all of the grooming routines are uncomfortable for her because of her SM, but we try to be very gentle, and it has to be done.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's a great video!

When Colin was ill/injured for much of 2009, I had to trim all 3 dogs' nails myself. They were used to him holding them on his lap while I trimmed, so they had to adjust to me trimming with nobody holding them still.

I found that trimming their nails during their nap time on the sofa helped make it easier. I started by doing just 1-2 nails on each dog, and taking a break, then doing a second, third, and fourth rotation with breaks in between. If they tried to sit up while I was trimming, I'd give them a tummy rub and let them lick my chin, which seemed to calm them and they also realized I wasn't going to let them get away.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)