• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

White dry patches on Riley

TaraMar

Riley has developed these dry patches of skin around his penis this week. Anyone know what has caused it?

DSCN1278.jpg

Tara, I would try rinsing the area gently with tepid water (just slightly warm but almost cool) water, and very gently pat it dry with a soft flannel, then let it air dry, keeping him warm. This would be for just in case something is irritating his skin.

But I'd also make a vet appointment as soon as possible. If your vet allows you to come in early Monday morning and wait for the first available opening between appoinments, that's what I'd do.

I will be very interested to see what comes out of this. Faith has something "similar" I think? She has dry skin mounds that have been diagnosed as "hyperkeratosis"

They are on her hocks/elbows. We actually see a dermatologist for it and were given medications such as surolan, bactroban and douxo spot on to treat it with - all topical. I also find that bathing her often (once a week) helps and I use a really good quality shampoo/conditioner to let it sit. Hers came back with some bacteria and fungi present and the derm thinks it's allergy driven. Have you switched to a new laundry soap/dog food or anything similar as of lately? Good luck with your vet!! I hope it goes away soon! :wink:

Thanks for your replies! I am calling the vet first thing Monday morning. I can't think of anything that we have done differently. He is 6 months old and has been on the same dog food since I have had him (Innova, for 3 months). The area doesn't seem to bother him at all. He doesn't mind when I clean the area either. He is on Comfortis and doesn't have fleas. There have been quite a few mosquitoes in the evenings. I'll let you know what the vet says.

Update on Riley:

I was able to get an appointment at the vet this morning and everything is good. It looks like Riley had a run-in with some fire ants. The white patches were the bites that were healing. There are a couple of other bites that look irritated, so he has a gentamicin topical spray twice a day for a week. The spray bothers him more than the bites so he gets to wear the E-collar again (which he actually enjoys).

I'm glad it was something simple, and the patches are healing. :flwr: Did your vet say if there's a way to protect him from fire ants?

It is a constant battle against the ants here in Florida. For the most part we have eradicated them from our backyard, but I have seen a few mounds at the dog park. I'll just have to keep a closer eye on him when he is running around.

Back