• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Conformation/Bone Structure

MurphysMummy

Can anyone tell me about the conformation/bone structure of the Cavalier and how it has developed over time, and the reasons it has developed??:confused::confused:
I have been looking all over the internet and can't really find much!!
Answers appreciated :)

The best thing to do is to order some books from the cavalier club bookshop.
Sometimes there's just no substitute for a good book and a few very reasonably priced ones which will give you a good feel for the breed and how it's developed since the 1920s are:

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel – The Origin & Founding of the Breed
Author: Tina and Dennis Homes £8

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Champions
Champions 1928 to 1999 - Produced by The Cavalier Club £5
Champions 2000 to 2004 - Produced by The Cavalier Club £2.50
Here's the link for the online shop.
http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/pay/cavshop.html

Sins

Thanks for your reply sins :)
I had an assignment at college and I had to discuss the development in a breed and obviously I chose the cavalier, I got everything else apart from the bone structure part.
Thanks again, will have to buy the book :)

I don't know if you've got a copy of the breed standard but I have copied it out for you. I have highlighted the bits to do with bone and conformation if that will help you a bit.
I'm not sure whether the bone structure has developed over time. The breed standard was drawn up specifying what the cavalier should look like in the first place. So that was the ideal from the beginning.

You might be able to order some books on the Cavalier from your local library (cheap option :)), there are lots to choose from if you google them first.

General Appearance
Active, graceful and well balanced, with gentle expression.

CharacteristicsSporting, affectionate, absolutely fearless.
TemperamentGay, friendly, non-aggressive; no tendency to nervousness.
Head and SkullSkull almost flat between ears. Stop shallow. Length from base of stop to tip of nose about 3.8 cms (11/2 ins). Nostrils black and well developed without flesh marks, muzzle well tapered. Lips well developed but not pendulous. Face well filled below eyes. Any tendency to snipiness undesirable.
EyesLarge, dark, round but not prominent; spaced well apart.
EarsLong, set high, with plenty of feather.
MouthJaws strong, with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws.
Neck
Moderate length, slightly arched.

Forequarters
Chest moderate, shoulders well laid back; straight legs moderately boned
Body
Short-coupled with good spring of rib. Level back
Hindquarters
Legs with moderate bone; well turned stifle – no tendency to cowhocks or sickle-hocks.

Feet
Compact, cushioned and well feathered.

TailLength of tail in balance with body, well set on, carried happily but never much above the level of the back. Docking previously optional when no more than one-third was to be removed.
Gait/Movement
Free-moving and elegant in action, plenty of drive from behind. Forelegs and hindlegs move parallel when viewed from in front and behind.

CoatLong, silky, free from curl. Slight wave permissible. Plenty of feathering. Totally free from trimming.
ColourColour Recognised colours are:
Black and Tan: raven black with tan markings above the eyes, on cheeks, inside ears, on chest and legs and underside of tail. Tan should be bright. White marks undesirable.
Ruby: whole coloured rich red. White markings undesirable.
Blenheim: rich chestnut markings well broken up, on pearly white ground. Markings evenly divided on head, leaving room between ears for much valued lozenge mark or spot (a unique characteristic of the breed).
Tricolour: black and white well spaced, broken up, with tan markings over eyes, cheeks, inside ears, inside legs, and on underside of tail.
Any other colour or combination of colours highly undesirable.
SizeWeight: 5.4-8.2 kgs (12-18 lbs). A small, well balanced dog well within these weights desirable.
FaultsAny departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.
NoteMale animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

Back