• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Estimating adult weight?

ozfiz

Hello! I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me estimate my puppy's adult weight, based on her puppy weight.

Here is the data I have on her weight:

10 weeks: 5lbs
15 weeks: 7.4
19 weeks: 9

So almost double since 10 weeks! Seems o be growing quickly, no? I haven't a clue what is normal growth rate for cavs. Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

Healthy puppies, in normal weight, born in normal sized litters are usually half their mature weight at 3 months of age for girls (14 weeks or so) and 16 or 17 weeks of age for boys. If your puppy was born in a normal sized litter (3-5 puppies), was a normal size at birth, is not fat or thin right now, has always been healthy and is 7.4 lbs. at 15 weeks--she will likely mature out at about 15-16 lbs.

If the litter size was less than 3 puppies she will grow faster at first and be larger at this stage than normal. If the litter size was more than 5 puppies she will probably grow a bit slower at first and be smaller at this stage than normal. I don't see her as being large at this point in time. Spaying before the growth plates close will almost certainly cause her to be at least an inch taller and a bit heavier at maturity. [Aim to spay 1/2 way between first and second seasons, so 3 months after first season]

Note: Parental size has less to do with puppy size than 'family size'. In other words if the parents were the smallest in their respective litters they are highly likely to produce puppies more the size of most of the members of their family--or larger than they themselves are. You really can't go by the size of the parents much for this reason.

Parent weights are not always a very precise guide to adult weights for offspring -- generally you want to see what all four grandparents weighed. :)

Thanks to Laura Lang, an Ohio breeder, and Karlin, board owner, for the above.

My Ruby Only Child!

My ruby is an only pup, and is currently 19 weeks old:

Here are his sizes:

11 Weeks: 5.3 Pounds
14 Weeks: 6.8 Pounds
18 Weeks: 8.8 Pounds

So, based on what you said, I guess I can expect him to be about 14 pounds at full size?

Probably closer to 17ish pounds for a male given those weights, I should think-- 14 would be very small for a male generally. But your best guide is really how big both parents and grandparents were -- an average of those. All of this is only averages and guesswork -- you would likely have an adult of at least 15-16lbs I should think, but could easily end up with one 20lbs... really depends on so many factors! :)

So since Rose was 9 lbs at 15 weeks, she should (guesstimating-wise ;) ) be around 18ish? Goodness. Well, she'll be about the same size as my dad's doxie- that should even things out a bit, lol.

I found information on the internet that said the weight at six months of age, will usually be 2/3 of the adult weight. That was quite accurate for our Sophie.

I have been wondering about hair. When will sully have most of his hair "length"? He's only 8 months now. ;)

Back