Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My dog Scooby and Living with MVD

Post Thanks / Like

Default My dog Scooby and Living with MVD

Hi,

Iam new to this website but I have found much information and comfort from reading other peoples postings regarding their dogs and MVD.

My cavalier scooby is 8 (and three quaters) years old , we got him as a puppy when he was 6 months old, we rescued him from a pet shop as he was desperately skinny and found he had a tummy issue. We took him to the vets and they referred us to Liverpool university small animal hospital and they found a food intolerance which we cured. Then at 1.5 years he started to show signs of fatigue when on his walk so we got him checked out again and found he had a PDA of his heart and needed a major op to correct it. We paid over 5000 to have this operation and it fixed his heart and gave him a new lease of life ........

He was great until October last year when he developed a cough , we went to the vet and he diagnosed him with a grade 4-5 heart mumur and mid stage Mitral Valve. He was put on Fortekor and Water tablets for a few months but earlier this year they didnt seem to be working, so are vet gave him Vetmedin and that gave him a second lease of life....... However over the last few months he has had some awful collapsing spells and we have had to restrict his exercise . Last sunday morning we were awoken by his yelping and we ran down stairs to find him collapsed again , we rushed him to the emergency vet and he gave him an injection and after being shaky for a couple of days he seems to have come back from this experience....

We have reviewed his medications with the vet and increased his water tablets but the vet has told us hes a 'ticking timebomb' and could go at any moment... I have had scooby longer than my children and hes like my first child to me , Iam not giving up hope that he will be with us at christmas and see his nineth birthday out in January all we can hope is that when it does happen he goes peacefully and as I tell my son he can run free in the fields in 'Doggy heaven'........XXX

Sharon.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Sharon

Many of us on this forum have been where you are with Scooby. It is heartbreaking, two of my Cavaliers have died of heart failure due to MVD. Others will probably be able to give you more advice than I can, though it sounds as if your vet is doing all the right things. Just three things from my experience. Remember that Scooby doesn't know he is reaching the end of his life, or even that he is ill - just that his body isn't working so well; all he needs from you is practical care and LOTS of cuddles. Knowing that you are going to lose your little dog quite soon can actually be a blessing, because it gives you time to prepare yourself and to begin the grieving process, and to be thankful for the time you have had and still have with Scooby. And finally, it has been very clear with both mine when the time has come to help them on their way - there is a particular look which says very clearly 'Mum, I can't manage any more, please help'. In the meantime, Cavaliers are great lovers of life and even in heart failure will continue to enjoy what they can - the love of their owners, perhaps a few steps in the garden, some special food (my Meg loved pieces of freshly cooked chicken fed by hand) - they are amazing little dogs, so I hope that Scooby will manage Christmas and his birthday. They are especially precious when, like Scooby, you have helped them through illness and difficulty earlier in their lives.

I hope this helps

Kate, and Cavaliers Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your could ask the vet if he would consider giving Scooby Vetmedin and Fortekor together. This combination certainly helped my dog Cassie and feel sure it gave her some more comfortable months. It is so sad when you see them struggle but it sounds as if you are providing all the love and care he needs.

Nanette
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you

Thanks to the people who have replied to my post. We are combining Vetmedin and fortekor and he seems to be a little more stable. He is getting so spoiled as always he had spag bol for tea for a treat yesterday and today we are all off to grandmas and she spoils him more than me

I will keep you posted on his progress.

Thanks again , its made me cry but given me hope....... XX

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default MY DOG SCOOBY and LIVING WITH MVD

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    Dear Sharon

Many of us on this forum have been where you are with Scooby. It is heartbreaking, two of my Cavaliers have died of heart failure due to MVD. Others will probably be able to give you more advice than I can, though it sounds as if your vet is doing all the right things. Just three things from my experience. Remember that Scooby doesn't know he is reaching the end of his life, or even that he is ill - just that his body isn't working so well; all he needs from you is practical care and LOTS of cuddles. Knowing that you are going to lose your little dog quite soon can actually be a blessing, because it gives you time to prepare yourself and to begin the grieving process, and to be thankful for the time you have had and still have with Scooby. And finally, it has been very clear with both mine when the time has come to help them on their way - there is a particular look which says very clearly 'Mum, I can't manage any more, please help'. In the meantime, Cavaliers are great lovers of life and even in heart failure will continue to enjoy what they can - the love of their owners, perhaps a few steps in the garden, some special food (my Meg loved pieces of freshly cooked chicken fed by hand) - they are amazing little dogs, so I hope that Scooby will manage Christmas and his birthday. They are especially precious when, like Scooby, you have helped them through illness and difficulty earlier in their lives.

I hope this helps

Kate, and Cavaliers Oliver and Aled
    MY DOG SCOOBY and LIVING WITH MVD

Sharon, as Kate says , you will get that look from Scooby , when he is telling he has to go.

It's so hard but for Scooby's sake bite the bullet, and let him go.

Just take every-day as it comes just now, some will be good ,some bad.

Thinking of you,

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on my Scooby

HI all,

The latest is that my little lad scooby is still with us , I have got some kind of optimisium so I have puchased him a advent calendar like I have done for the last 8 years so he has to stay

The vet has played around with his medication and hes on 1 whole fortekor , 2 half frusimide and 2 vetmedin daily and touch wood he hasnot collapsed since and his coughing is minimal. We had him for a checkup at the vets last wed and his chest is clear and he seems to be stable for now.......

Fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so delighted to see that Scooby is well and stable,
    thinking of you all,
    huge hugs
    Su

Post Thanks / Like

I have read this post for the first time and am sat here having a little tear!! (Silly moo) Kate what you wrote is so lovely!!

My Barney is the same age as your poorly dog and I thank god every day he has been blessed with a healthy heart - he has a few other niggles (SM mild symptoms grrrr) but otherwise fine. I am so sad for your little lad.......

I am at the time of taking each day as it comes with my cat (17 1/2 with kidney failure) We have the philosophy of she's ok today so that's fine, we will face tomorrow tomorrow.

I hate the thought that at some point I will have to face the frear of making the right choices to help my animals on the way, I am well know at the vets for leaking loads when taking the childrens small animals in at the end of their lives.

Please take comfort that you have done and continue to do the very best for your little Scooby dog, and that he's had the very best you could offer to him....

Take Care, Teresa Barney and Cassie...xx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Guys

Hi,

Thanks guys for your latest posts

Scooby is my special little man and he means such alot to me , I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and its been a tough year for me with my health , he has been my constant companion and our walks although short when Iam having a bad day mean the world to me and him and its our 'special time'. He went to the groomers last week and got his hair cut he is all fluffy and cute again.......

I have stopped thinking too far into the future and enjoy every day when I come down in the morning and his little face and wagging tail are there to greet me ........

Thanks again for all your kind words and support ..... It means so much to me and scooby XXX

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on my Scooby

Hi,

Its been a mixed update this time , scooby seemed to be doing veyr well on his adjusted medication routine until the last couple of days.

He is now suffering with Syndcope episodes like this morning he was desperate for a wee but came upstairs to find me I followed him back downstairs and he fainted in my hallway and wee-ed everywhere. My husband rushed over and scooby was completely un-conscious it took a couple of minutes for him to come back around.

We rushed him to the vets but he said there is nothing we can do for these episodes apart from increase his frusimide again and rest him completely.

Everytime this happens I think 'this is it' then he seems to come back , Iam accepting that the end is not far off but it doesnt make it any less painful .........

Sharon