• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My dog Scooby and Living with MVD

smarsden99

Hi,

Iam new to this website but I have found much information and comfort from reading other peoples postings regarding their dogs and MVD.

My cavalier scooby is 8 (and three quaters) years old , we got him as a puppy when he was 6 months old, we rescued him from a pet shop as he was desperately skinny and found he had a tummy issue. We took him to the vets and they referred us to Liverpool university small animal hospital and they found a food intolerance which we cured. Then at 1.5 years he started to show signs of fatigue when on his walk so we got him checked out again and found he had a PDA of his heart and needed a major op to correct it. We paid over £5000 to have this operation and it fixed his heart and gave him a new lease of life ........

He was great until October last year when he developed a cough , we went to the vet and he diagnosed him with a grade 4-5 heart mumur and mid stage Mitral Valve. He was put on Fortekor and Water tablets for a few months but earlier this year they didnt seem to be working, so are vet gave him Vetmedin and that gave him a second lease of life....... However over the last few months he has had some awful collapsing spells and we have had to restrict his exercise . Last sunday morning we were awoken by his yelping and we ran down stairs to find him collapsed again , we rushed him to the emergency vet and he gave him an injection and after being shaky for a couple of days he seems to have come back from this experience....

We have reviewed his medications with the vet and increased his water tablets but the vet has told us hes a 'ticking timebomb' and could go at any moment...:( I have had scooby longer than my children and hes like my first child to me , Iam not giving up hope that he will be with us at christmas and see his nineth birthday out in January all we can hope is that when it does happen he goes peacefully and as I tell my son he can run free in the fields in 'Doggy heaven'........XXX

Sharon.

Dear Sharon

Many of us on this forum have been where you are with Scooby. It is heartbreaking, two of my Cavaliers have died of heart failure due to MVD. Others will probably be able to give you more advice than I can, though it sounds as if your vet is doing all the right things. Just three things from my experience. Remember that Scooby doesn't know he is reaching the end of his life, or even that he is ill - just that his body isn't working so well; all he needs from you is practical care and LOTS of cuddles. Knowing that you are going to lose your little dog quite soon can actually be a blessing, because it gives you time to prepare yourself and to begin the grieving process, and to be thankful for the time you have had and still have with Scooby. And finally, it has been very clear with both mine when the time has come to help them on their way - there is a particular look which says very clearly 'Mum, I can't manage any more, please help'. In the meantime, Cavaliers are great lovers of life and even in heart failure will continue to enjoy what they can - the love of their owners, perhaps a few steps in the garden, some special food (my Meg loved pieces of freshly cooked chicken fed by hand) - they are amazing little dogs, so I hope that Scooby will manage Christmas and his birthday. They are especially precious when, like Scooby, you have helped them through illness and difficulty earlier in their lives.

I hope this helps:hug:

Kate, and Cavaliers Oliver and Aled

Your could ask the vet if he would consider giving Scooby Vetmedin and Fortekor together. This combination certainly helped my dog Cassie and feel sure it gave her some more comfortable months. It is so sad when you see them struggle but it sounds as if you are providing all the love and care he needs.

Nanette

Thank you

Thanks to the people who have replied to my post. We are combining Vetmedin and fortekor and he seems to be a little more stable. He is getting so spoiled as always he had spag bol for tea for a treat yesterday and today we are all off to grandmas and she spoils him more than me :)

I will keep you posted on his progress.

Thanks again , its made me cry but given me hope....... XX

MY DOG SCOOBY and LIVING WITH MVD

Dear Sharon

Many of us on this forum have been where you are with Scooby. It is heartbreaking, two of my Cavaliers have died of heart failure due to MVD. Others will probably be able to give you more advice than I can, though it sounds as if your vet is doing all the right things. Just three things from my experience. Remember that Scooby doesn't know he is reaching the end of his life, or even that he is ill - just that his body isn't working so well; all he needs from you is practical care and LOTS of cuddles. Knowing that you are going to lose your little dog quite soon can actually be a blessing, because it gives you time to prepare yourself and to begin the grieving process, and to be thankful for the time you have had and still have with Scooby. And finally, it has been very clear with both mine when the time has come to help them on their way - there is a particular look which says very clearly 'Mum, I can't manage any more, please help'. In the meantime, Cavaliers are great lovers of life and even in heart failure will continue to enjoy what they can - the love of their owners, perhaps a few steps in the garden, some special food (my Meg loved pieces of freshly cooked chicken fed by hand) - they are amazing little dogs, so I hope that Scooby will manage Christmas and his birthday. They are especially precious when, like Scooby, you have helped them through illness and difficulty earlier in their lives.

I hope this helps:hug:

Kate, and Cavaliers Oliver and Aled

MY DOG SCOOBY and LIVING WITH MVD

Sharon, as Kate says , you will get that look from Scooby , when he is telling he has to go.

It's so hard but for Scooby's sake bite the bullet, and let him go.

Just take every-day as it comes just now, some will be good ,some bad.

Thinking of you,

Bet

Update on my Scooby

HI all,

The latest is that my little lad scooby is still with us , I have got some kind of optimisium so I have puchased him a advent calendar like I have done for the last 8 years so he has to stay :)

The vet has played around with his medication and hes on 1 whole fortekor , 2 half frusimide and 2 vetmedin daily and touch wood he hasnot collapsed since and his coughing is minimal. We had him for a checkup at the vets last wed and his chest is clear and he seems to be stable for now.......

Fingers crossed cl*p

I have read this post for the first time and am sat here having a little tear!! (Silly moo) Kate what you wrote is so lovely!!

My Barney is the same age as your poorly dog and I thank god every day he has been blessed with a healthy heart - he has a few other niggles (SM mild symptoms grrrr) but otherwise fine. I am so sad for your little lad.......

I am at the time of taking each day as it comes with my cat (17 1/2 with kidney failure) We have the philosophy of she's ok today so that's fine, we will face tomorrow tomorrow.

I hate the thought that at some point I will have to face the frear of making the right choices to help my animals on the way, I am well know at the vets for leaking loads when taking the childrens small animals in at the end of their lives.

Please take comfort that you have done and continue to do the very best for your little Scooby dog, and that he's had the very best you could offer to him....

Take Care, Teresa Barney and Cassie...xx

Thanks Guys

Hi,

Thanks guys for your latest posts :)

Scooby is my special little man and he means such alot to me , I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and its been a tough year for me with my health , he has been my constant companion and our walks although short when Iam having a bad day mean the world to me and him and its our 'special time'. He went to the groomers last week and got his hair cut he is all fluffy and cute again.......

I have stopped thinking too far into the future and enjoy every day when I come down in the morning and his little face and wagging tail are there to greet me ........

Thanks again for all your kind words and support ..... It means so much to me and scooby XXX

Update on my Scooby

Hi,

Its been a mixed update this time , scooby seemed to be doing veyr well on his adjusted medication routine until the last couple of days.

He is now suffering with Syndcope episodes like this morning he was desperate for a wee but came upstairs to find me I followed him back downstairs and he fainted in my hallway and wee-ed everywhere. My husband rushed over and scooby was completely un-conscious it took a couple of minutes for him to come back around.

We rushed him to the vets but he said there is nothing we can do for these episodes apart from increase his frusimide again and rest him completely.

Everytime this happens I think 'this is it' then he seems to come back , Iam accepting that the end is not far off but it doesnt make it any less painful .........:(

Sharon

I just wanted to offer you some hope, I guess.

I have an 11 year old Cavalier, called Jasper. He has MVD. He had the collapsing episode you have described, and spent the night at the vets. When we picked him up, they said he had less then seven days to live.

That was three months ago, and he is still going strong. My advice would be to listen to the complete rest bit, though. No walks, and no stairs. If Jaz is allowed upstairs, he gets worse for a while. We have a stairgate up now, and he is carried up and down. I thought it would be so cruel taking upstairs away, as he loves wondering the house, and loves being outside, but he's so much healthier he can play and enjoy his garden now. We are now hoping he'll make his birthday in April.

Good luck with this all...I have fibro so I know how CFS affects you, and how important pets are. I hope you've got a long time with him yet.

E x

Thanks

Hi Elle,

Thanks so much for your reply . Its reassuring that other can offer hope for my lad , I have done what you said and restricted his exercise and NO STAIRS!! Also I spoke to the vet and he has put him on a Pottasium based Dieretic which is supposed to be good for dogs with Syncope. Hes been on it for a week and fingers crossed no further incidents. I have got him a Doggy Advent Calendar and his 9th birthday is Jan 10th so fingers crossed.

I hope your dog Jasper is doing ok and you are ok with your fibro. It seems likes these situations come together I got struck down with CFS and scooby took a turn for the worse......

Fingers crossed we have a good xmas and so do your family.

Thanks again
Sharon
X

MVD @ 13 years old

Hi Sharon,

My boy Wally was diagnosed at age 7 with MVD, never needing medication, and never showing any signs of MVD.. until 5 days ago, he is now age 13 and 2 months, and his breathing seemed laboured, and he was struggling to eat, this comming from a Cavalier that use to win food eating competitions. !! To watch him breathing was so hard, as it reminded me of how my own mother struggled for breath before she died.. I rushed him to the vet, thinking it was his last ever trip,, I sat in the vets tears streaming down my face, this dog has been my sole mate, my best friend, my everything..He spent the day in hospital, having tests done etc.. I was so pleased when I was told I could pick him up, he is now a grade 5 MVD and is on Duretics and Vetmedin, his breathing is a lot better, but still laboured, and the vet has said he is not in pain.. I have noticed small improvements, even today he rolled himself around on the carpet on his back, rubbing his mouth on the floor.
I know his days are now numbered, and I am on borrowed time, so I am enjoying every moment with him. Taking lots of photos, and spoiling him even more than before. I just hope he goes on a while longer, and Rainbow Bridge can wait for him,
as I need him more than the Bridge.
I hope your little dog goes on to live longer for you.
Pam & Wally dog.:luv:

Thanks Pam.

Scooby is nearly 9 and has a grade 5/6 murmur , I would love him to get to the same age as your cavalier but I fear its not his fate. He has been on medication for a year and is still ok so fingers crossed for another year..... Its his 9th birthday on january 10th ..........

Merry christmas

XX

Latest News on Scooby

Hi all,

The latest news on scooby is he is still with us :D . About 3 weeks ago after he had a severe syncope episode I asked the vet to contact the cardiologist to ask about any help we could give him to help with these fainting spells. The cardiologist came back with a suggestion to put him on prilactone. He is now on 1 fruisimide per day and 1 prilactone per day as well as vetmedin and fortekor !!!

Up to now we have not had any repeat syncope episodes but the prilactone seems to make him poo very runny :( Still the main thing is he has got a stable good quality of life and is being spoiled and loved every day and we dont look too far in the future just take a day at a time...

Here hoping he gets to 9 years old on Jan 10th 2011 (keeping everything crossed).

Merry christmas to you all.

Sharon and Scooby
XX

I';ve no idea how I missed this thread before Sharon and I am not sure what I should say to console you. Perhaps it's to take each day as it comes and be happy that Scooby is still with you.

Most of the dogs I have had over the years have had some kind of mvd at some time in their lives, but none of the symptoms you have described with Scooby.

Two of my dogs have disabilities, particularly Holly with a serious auto immune disease. I do sometimes look at her and wonder how long she will be with us. It's been two mostly joyful years so far. She has been an inspiration to all that know her in the way she copes with a life far removed from normal and I treasure the time I have been lucky enough to have her, which is how I think you should view Scooby's last days, except that for all you know those days might spread into months or even years. Sometimes these dogs surprise us and miracles do happen.:luv:

I am so pleased to read that Scooby is still with you, and hopefully will be with you for sometime. I know when my nearly 11 yr old went on medication nearly 2 years ago I feared the worse, he was our first family dog and cavalier, but we still have him and his medication has kept him stable and improved his quality of life , I am learning about MVD all the time, as someone else said they really do surprise you.

Thanks for your kind words

Thanks Flo and Pam for your kind words about my situation with scooby , he is happy and stable at the moment so we will see what happens.

Merry christmas to your and your furry families.. XX

So pleased that Scooby is doing well. It is amazing how they manage to rally round. One minute they are really poorly the next looking as fit as a fiddle.:)

Cinders has MVD and has been on medication for nearly 2 years. Today she amazed me by chasing birds in the park, and playing with her furry toys. I think the snow has given her a new lease of life. :D

TOday is Scooby's 9th Birthday

:D

Hello All,

Well my little lad has made it !!! Today we celebrate scooby's 9th Birthday!!

He seems to be reasonable stable at the moment , his coughing has come back a bit so Iam playing around with his water tablets to help him but fingers crossed he has not had another Syncope episode for over a month!!

We are just grateful to have my lad still with us and we cherish everyday , he has made xmas and his birthday so who knows !!!

Off to give him a treat and a hug..

Sharon

Back