• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My dog Scooby and Living with MVD

Several people have mentioned how much their dogs with heart problems miss their walks. I can highly recommend buying a pet stroller/buggy. This enables them to go on walks along with the others and get a change of scene (and different things to sniff!), and if they get tired you can pop them in the buggy. Fastened in, but with the front cover down, they can watch the world go by and be fussed by the people they meet. When Oliver had to have several weeks of rest after his spondylosis was diagnosed, I bought a buggy and it meant he could go everywhere with us but only do little bits of walking - trotting free in the park for a few minutes instead of on lead on pavements. They fold up just like a baby buggy, so are easy to pop into cars - our only problem was trains, negotiating the buggy up steep steps and across wide gaps between train and platform, and then finding space for it in the train was a nightmare; I don't know how mums with small babies manage, though there was usually a kind soul to come to our rescue.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS If anyone in the West Midlands area ever needs a buggy for a few weeks, you'd be welcome to borrow ours, as Oliver never uses it now.

Kate that is a GREAT idea. They just love being outside.

I always tease hubby that Claire would rather us get one of those snuggly packs that folks use for their babies where the baby is in the sling on the front of your body.....and his response is, 'go ahead, I'm sure that most of our friends already knows you are a bit over the top already'. Spoil sport!

Scooby spent the morning in vets :eek:(

Hi,

Scooby has spent the morning in the vets , he has got fluid build up on his lungs and was having trouble breathing..... They have given him a fruismide injection and he is weeing for britain so hopefully it will clear the fluid and give him some relief.....

Iam very stressed and worried about him......:(

Sharon and Scooby

So sorry to read that Scooby is at the emergency vets and hoping he will soon be feeling better soon.

Update

Hi,

Thanks for all your kind words.........

I thought I would give you an update , scooby was very poorly on saturday with fluid build up on his chest , he went to the emergency vet they admitted him and gave him a water injection and monitored him. I got him back later on saturday he was very poorly and had two syncope episodes.

It was touch and go over the following couple of days but I stayed up with him 24/7 and we increased his tablets to help him on the vets advice , then on monday night he looked at me and said 'I think I feel a little better' and his tail wagged , then he started to walk around and wandered around the garden .

He went for a checkup yesterday and his chest is clearer and he seems ok , he is still on the edge but whenever I think we are going to lose him he seems to fight back..... So for now he is still here and still getting all the love and hugs you could ever want ....... I love him deeply.

Sharon and Scooby

Hi Sharon thank you so much for the update. YOu are doing a fantastic job of caring for Scooby - he is lucky to have such a wonderful guardian.

It's hard to go through these episodes, but amazingly the heart seems to compensate and they can pick up again as you are finding.

I think it is important to be around for him, not least for him to be able to go out for a pee when necessary also you have some special time together.

I would write down the things that you think are important to Scooby to give him a good quality of life

These would be on my list:

managing a short walk - even if it's only 5 minutes for the stimulation

Being able to eat and wanting to eat [2 different things]

Able to move about happily

Do you have water bowls near him at all times? [sure you do but just checking]

Managing a cuddle or whatever affection he wants

Being able to breathe when lying down

Not in any distress

As you have discovered you are going to get times where things aren't totally under control and you need to speak to your vet then to see whether it is a temporary crisis or a permanent state.

Most importantly obviously - is Scooby still enjoying life?

Mine have always let me know in some way or other that things are coming to an end - and once you've made that decision, there is an air of peace about them even if they are in pain. I think there is also a calmness within you that the decision is made, even though it's not the one you would like.

Yes in some ways we'd like them to go naturally - but actually going naturally can be extremely unpleasant for them, and a huge shock to us to find them suddenly gone. Sometimes it is nice - one of very few I heard of was the lady sitting in her garden with the Cavalier at her feet, and he just passed away peacefully - she bent down to fuss him and he'd gone - but that is SO rare. [It was Rupert's Grandfather]

So I've always felt it is better to go too soon, they don't suffer at all that way. Too many are left too long and that is just cruel and you feel guilty forever.

I always have the vet out to the house, put the other dogs away - have something very special for a treat - such as prawns or sausages - and have them lie across my lap on a towel and feed them the treat whilst the vet lets them go. This way it has always been peaceful. You can have time to say goodbye - and I always let the others say goodbye too so they don't look for them [will still grieve but not search which can be distressing]. I'm not sure if you ahve any other animals in the house.

Cavaliers really are amazing! My Meg would wake me up in the early hours of the morning three or four times a week for about six months, gasping for breath and looking as if she was about to die at any moment. I would give her a pill and sit up cuddling her until her breathing eased, then she would sleep for a few hours and go for a walk in the garden, eat a good breakfast and enjoy the rest of her (physically limited) day! When she was finally ready to go, there was hardly any heartbeat left, so her passing was very quick, held in my arms at the vet's.

Nicki gave some sensible advice. If I ever have to do the same for Oliver, I will definitely have Aled with me - he is very dependent on Oliver and is really going to miss him.

Glad Scooby is still enjoying life - in between keeping you on your toes!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Update on my little fighter

Hi all,

The latest on scooby is we have stablised him for now. I have kept him on the higher dose of fruisimide as it seems to be keeping his chest nice and clear..... I have noticed his breathing is not laboured and he is alot happier.

He is eating , drinking , wandering round the garden 5 times a day , having lots of treats and cuddles and he has had his hair cut today by a nice lady who does it at home.

Does anyone know how to add a photo to a post as I would love to add an up to date picture of my special boy.....

Love and hugs
Sharon and Scooby
XXX

Thats wonderful news :)

If you upload the picture to something like photobucket or flickr you can just use the code to put it up, or if you would prefer you can email me the picture and i can put it up for you :) Just send me a private message if you want me to do it and i can send you my email address :)

Update - My little soldier is still fighting on

:)

The latest with Scooby is that fingers crossed :xfngr: he seems to be stable at the moment , no more syncope episodes and the slight increase in fruisimide is keeping his chest nice and clear so he can breath well. Was surprised becuase when it was hot the other week last time scooby was struggling but this time he was happy and walking round the garden with me in the afternoons and his cough wasnt any worse.....

Iam realistic and know we are borrowing time with him but for now he is doing well and getting spoilt rotten as usual

Will keep you updated :*nana:

Sharon and Scooby

So glad that Scooby is still fighting and his struggles are stable. :jmp:

The time with our furry ones is so short to begin with so we take whatever precious time we have. Sydney is now struggling with fluids in his abdomen. I've updated his dr. visit on my previous thread.

Keep on spoiling Scooby. Sending belly rubs his way!

(Sharon....looks like we were writing to each other at the same time)

Sharon sent me this photo of Scooby to share with you
large.jpg

Back