Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Observation from the BVA /KC SM Seminar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

TBH in my limited experience, I have had one very severely affected dog with a longer nose, one with a moderate nose length [old style head] who had several severe episodes of pain but was well in between, and lived to 12 and one shorter nosed dog who was moderate/severely affected and was PTS at 6 due to SM pain.

I think this is anecdotal rather than the result of a study, but it is definitely something worth investigating further.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Interesting Observation from the BVA/KC SM SEMINAR

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    TBH in my limited experience, I have had one very severely affected dog with a longer nose, one with a moderate nose length [old style head] who had several severe episodes of pain but was well in between, and lived to 12 and one shorter nosed dog who was moderate/severely affected and was PTS at 6 due to SM pain.

I think this is anecdotal rather than the result of a study, but it is definitely something worth investigating further.
    Interesting Obsveration from the BVA /KC SM Seminar

Now heres another thought, I believe it was Cavalier Breeder Pam Turle ,who Crossed a Whippet with a Cavalier, no doubt some of the Cavalier Cyber Bullies will put me right about this !!,but if some of the Descendants of this Mating could be found, and did'nt have SM ,food for thought.

We know that a Cavalier who was MRI Scanned recently had no SM, the Pedigree could be traced back to the Cavalier Cocker Spaniel Cross in the early 1950's.

But does it still not depend on what Genes the Cavaliers have, that is giving the SM problem.

Do the Shorter Nosed Smaller Headed Cavaliers have more of those SM Genes.

If that's the case then Cavaliers are really in a Mess, between their MVD Problem and so many Cavaliers around to-day with Smaller Heads and Short Noses.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

it had been noted "The longer nosed Cavaliers tended to have less severe symptoms"
    Fair enough...but let's not get carried away,it simply says less severe symptoms. Not free of SM or even asymptomatic!
    The statement is even so vague as to use the word tended.
    If I have another cavalier,the only guide I'll be using is the Mri scans of it's parents/grandparents...and it's still no guarantee.
    Also when choosing a pup,it's easy to pick something you imagine has a long muzzle.Holly had a very long muzzle as a puppy.Then suddenly she just started to fill out and her muzzle isn't very long after all.
    Daisy as a pup was the closest thing to a duck billed platypus you ever saw and she ended up with the tiniest muzzle.I'm still scratching my head over that one.
    Sins