Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bella has dry eye, advise please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bella has dry eye, advise please

Been to the vets today and Bella has dry eye. Its not too bad but obviously needs to be attended to daily. The vet has given me Viscotears liquid gel. She also mention another product which I can't remember what it's called as I went a bit blank when she showed me the tiny tube which costs 40. It would last about a month apparently and it re activates the tear ducts. If the viscotears doesn't do the job then I will buy the tube and see if my pet insurance will pay. It will of course be for life for her so not sure if the pet insurance will support that. What I'd like to know is what other owners have found works well for this condition. Also is there any website that I could order the gel from which might be cheaper. Keen to keep the impact on Bella to a minimum as she's such a loving little girl. Look forward to hearing from my cavi friends out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by team bella View Post
    Been to the vets today and Bella has dry eye. Its not too bad but obviously needs to be attended to daily. The vet has given me Viscotears liquid gel. She also mention another product which I can't remember what it's called as I went a bit blank when she showed me the tiny tube which costs 40. It would last about a month apparently and it re activates the tear ducts. If the viscotears doesn't do the job then I will buy the tube and see if my pet insurance will pay. It will of course be for life for her so not sure if the pet insurance will support that. What I'd like to know is what other owners have found works well for this condition. Also is there any website that I could order the gel from which might be cheaper. Keen to keep the impact on Bella to a minimum as she's such a loving little girl. Look forward to hearing from my cavi friends out there.
    Hello, so so sorry about the news, dry eye is horrible My murphy has dry eye, the worst there is, he has 0mm of tears in his eye. His was not treated for a very long while as he was rescued. The other product will be Optimmune, which is meant to reactivate the tear ducts but it does not work for my Murphy, as his eye is so bad, But I still use it 2-3 times a day. We also have "Sno Tears" (i think its sno tears or sno drops) Which is a watery solution which adds lubrication to the eye, I use that almost every 1-2 hours to keep his eye moist. I purchase a prescription from the vets for Optimmune and I buy it at "Manor Pharmacy" for just 23.75 which is better than the 50 our vets charge! Im not sure if you have a Manor Pharmacy near you but its definately best to check as its much cheaper. Dry eye is a horrible syndrome, but it doesn't seem to bother them if you keep there eyes well moist and lubricated(well my murphy anyways because hes had it for soo long). Feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by MurphysMummy; 29th October 2010 at 08:33 PM.
    ..Life wouldn't be complete without a beautiful cavalier at your feet..
    xxxx Mummy to Murphy, aged 8. MVD wont stop my precious boy! xxxx
    28/09/09 Gotcha Day <3

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing is that you are now treating the problem! Dry eye can be very painful in itself, but can also cause other horrors if left untreated, so you have done the right thing.

I have kept several dogs comfortable just by using Hypromellose solution (from any chemist) regularly, with the occasional boost from Optimmune if necessary. It is regular application of the Hypromellose or Viscotears that is the important thing.

Good luck little Bella - do let us know how she gets on.
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a pharmacy nearby that could supply Optimmune, the VetUK website does it for 27 (post free, I think), if you send them the prescription. Some of the other online sites might have an even better price.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry Bella has been diagnosed with dry eye. Dylan was recently diagnosed with this after months of going back and forwards to the vet who insisted it wasn't dry eye but allergies. He ended up with severe corneal ulcers, one of which was so bad he nearly lost the eye. He had to have a corneal graft in this eye (3500) and we are still under the opthalmologist. He has no vision at the moment in this eye but the hope is that he will regain some sight. He has to have Optimmune twice a day and artificial tears twice a day. I also wash his eyes daily with saline. I get the Optimmune from Vet UK, as Kate said, for 26 post free and my insurance pays. It is really important you look after their eyes with the medication the vet advises otherwise you can end with the sort of problems Dylan had which was absolutely horrific.

Wishing you and Bella good luck.
    xx
    Jane
    Harvey (B&T) - 03/10/04
    Dylan (Tri) - 05/05/05

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry not been on line sooner but my broadband crashed this weekend and I'm just back on line. Thanks for all the info its been very helpful. Getting on ok with the visiostear but she soesn't like me doing it. I've been using treats when doing it in the hope that she doesn't get too stressed. Can I ask about the prescriptions? Are vets ok about doing a prescription or do they prefer you buy from them? How much do they charge normally for prescription?
    Thanks again for all the kind words and help

Post Thanks / Like

I used treats with Dylan after his surgery as he was having eye drops every two hours and was in a lot of pain. You need to get them to accept the drops as it is for the rest of their life. He is really good now and I have stopped the treats as I was worried about his waistline.

Vets have to provide you with a prescription although they like you to buy from them because of the profit they make. The charges vary and some are quite high (mine is 15.86) but you can ask for a repeat prescription which can last up to 6 months (again this is up to your vet). You send the prescription off to the pharmacy company who keep it on file and when you need more of the medication you contact them and they will then send more out until the date on the prescription has expired. Hope this helps feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
    Jane
    Harvey (B&T) - 03/10/04
    Dylan (Tri) - 05/05/05

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We used to use Viscotears during the day and Lacrilube at night, as that is greasier and seems to keep the eye moister for longer.

Both of these products are available over the counter at pharmacies at a considerably cheaper price than the vets charge! and you should be able to claim for them by submitting the receipts to your insurance company.

I never had much success with Opt immune either.

We hope that Bella's eyes keep as well as possible - it is really essential to look after them with dry eye, you need to bathe the eyes twice daily. Their eyelids often do no close properly, so this removes the grit and dirt that gathers on the surface.

The eyes are not sterile therefore you do not need to use sterile water, but do use warm water! Fill a jug and then hold the eye open gently with one hand, and use a baby sponge or similar to flood the eye with water. Wipe around the outside of the eye with the sponge, and then dry with a towel [they like that bit best!]. Reward them for being good with a treat They quickly accept this is part of the routine and I would recommend this for all Cavaliers, not just those with dry eye [at least once per day, and especially after you have been on the beach]

This routine was recommended by the ophthalmologist
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I got the prescription and it was about 13-15. The vets totally understood why we would rather have a prescription as its alot cheaper to go out and buy it yourself rather than get it from the vets. Some vets may not be ok though, there all different..

Nicki I also have no success with Optimmune and think its rubbish and a waste of money if I'm totally honest, it lubricates Murphy's eye for about 5 minutes and it then gunks and drys up again.

Murphy also has the sticky green gunk, I have used conjunctivitous cream which clears it up for a few days but it just will NOT go...such a pain in the bum really.

Hope that Bella starts to accept the treatment, Murphy did after a few weeks and now he is totally used to it.
    ..Life wouldn't be complete without a beautiful cavalier at your feet..
    xxxx Mummy to Murphy, aged 8. MVD wont stop my precious boy! xxxx
    28/09/09 Gotcha Day <3

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice and support, I really really appreciate it. I think I won't bother with the Opt immune for the minute and see how we go for now with the viscotears. I was mainly interested in Opt immune because the vets said that I would only have to use it once a day and I thought it might make it easier for Bella. I'll keep up the treats until she gets used to it, my poor wee girl. I suppose the positive is that this has been caught early and hopefully kept under control.
    Thanks again everyone. I'm sending Bella's thanks too as she's happily snoring her head off at my feet.