• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bella has dry eye, advise please

Ruby has dry eye & none of the treatments from the vets helped her at all(ie optimune) We have a marvelous eye consultant based in the Lakes & Ripon on different days.To begin with we saw him every couple of weeks & now he's got Ruby so he only needs to see her 6 monthly. Her tests are at 5 & 7 mark where they were at 0. Ruby has Pred Forte drops twice a day, Protopic ointment twice a day(both on prescription & covered by her insurance) & viscotears often thro' the day.Im also going to purchase Lacrilube having read this:)
Prior to us seeing Gary Ruby was in a bad way & often didnt open her eyes for days at a time & would bump into lamp posts when out so i cant praise him highly enough.Ruby trusts him too & lets him do all his tests without a grumble,she's also very good at letting me put all her drops in & sometimes comes & puts her head on me as if to ask when theyre bothering her.

I really hope Bella goes on ok with it being caught early.Rubes came to me as a rescue so her eyes were already bad. Good luck Bella x

Its now been a week since we started the viscotears. There's a very slight improvement, and not as much snotty ( sorry for the description) discharge from her eyes. Infact there hasn't been any for a couple of days. Bella is getting used to the eye work being done, as I think she's getting into a routine and loving the treats. That said I think I will call the vet and ask for the prescription. I want to make sure that if there's something better for her, then I want her to have it. It may or may not work for her but I suppose its a case of if I don't try I won't know. Also I will discuss her being referred to the Vet school.

You know if I had never found this site, I would never have found out so much information about cavaliers. Once again I am truely grateful for all your advice and experiences. Thank you

You know if I had never found this site, I would never have found out so much information about cavaliers. Once again I am truely grateful for all your advice and experiences. Thank you
I have to totally agree with you there! My dogs are so much better off healthwise (and otherwise) since I came across CavalierTalk too. Thanks everyone cl*pcl*p

I also wash his eyes daily with saline. It is really important you look after their eyes with the medication the vet advises otherwise you can end with the sort of problems Dylan had which was absolutely horrific.xx

I was very worried when I read that you are washing Dylan's eyes out with saline, or indeed anything at all, Jane, so when I took Holly in to my vet for an eye check this morning I asked for his opinion. He told me, as I feared, that you should never, ever wash a dog's eyes out unless specifically advised to do so by your vet. He said that even then it would be a very temporary measure, as the saline would be harmful to the surface of the eye.

Eye washing is something that should never be undertaken to clear gunge out and certainly not unless instructed by a vet. Eyes are so delicate and must receive expert care.

I have to clear gunge from Holly's eyes regularly, but I do it by working around the outside of the eye with a damp swab or piece of kitchen paper and gently easing the stuff out from the eye. It comes out like string or cotton and should be done very gently and carefully.:)

I have only been washing Dylan's eyes with the saline under the instruction of the opthalmologist and he showed me exactly what to do. When he went for his first check up I asked if I should continue to do this and he said yes most definately. Now his eyes are much cleaner I assume I don't have to do wash them daily although the opthalmologist still did so on our visit this week.

Thanks for checking up on this Flo, but don't worry I will never do anything to his eyes unless told to by a vet. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it on here though in case others might think it OK to do.

Thought I'd add the saline is in individual sachets and is the one used by the opthalmologist.

Last edited:
I have only been washing Dylan's eyes with the saline under the instruction of the opthalmologist and he showed me exactly what to do. When he went for his first check up I asked if I should continue to do this and he said yes most definately. Now his eyes are much cleaner I assume I don't have to do wash them daily although the opthalmologist still did so on our visit this week.

Thanks for checking up on this Flo, but don't worry I will never do anything to his eyes unless told to by a vet. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it on here though in case others might think it OK to do.

Thought I'd add the saline is in individual sachets and is the one used by the opthalmologist.

Thank you for setting my mind at rest Jane, as I was so worried. Most people think a saline solution is home-made using 1 tsp household salt to 1/2 litre of warm water, but you are using something different, sterile and for a specific reason.

Yes, I did think that somebody might get the idea that it was okay to use the home-made solution for routine eye cleaning.

If you saw what happens to Holly Poppet when she has problems with her eyes you would understand my anxiety. I do hope that I haven't offended you in any way :)

Thank you for setting my mind at rest Jane, as I was so worried. Most people think a saline solution is home-made using 1 tsp household salt to 1/2 litre of warm water, but you are using something different, sterile and for a specific reason.

Yes, I did think that somebody might get the idea that it was okay to use the home-made solution for routine eye cleaning.

If you saw what happens to Holly Poppet when she has problems with her eyes you would understand my anxiety. I do hope that I haven't offended you in any way :)

Please don't worry Flo you certainly haven't offended me in any way at all:). I realised your post was only out of concern and I fully understand your anxiety after having watched Dylan in agony, something I don't wish to see again.

Its now been a week since we started the viscotears. There's a very slight improvement, and not as much snotty ( sorry for the description) discharge from her eyes. Infact there hasn't been any for a couple of days. Bella is getting used to the eye work being done, as I think she's getting into a routine and loving the treats. That said I think I will call the vet and ask for the prescription. I want to make sure that if there's something better for her, then I want her to have it. It may or may not work for her but I suppose its a case of if I don't try I won't know. Also I will discuss her being referred to the Vet school.

Hi there, I was just wondering how Bella is getting on with the dry eye these days. It's about six months since you last posted.:)

Back