Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Cavalier Rescue: new dogs needing homes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wink Irish Cavalier Rescue: new dogs needing homes

I have posted profiles of most of the dogs I have in at the minute! A few more to go:

www.ckcsrescue.com

Full info on each dog plus you can download an application if interested.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Goodness Karlin you are full to overflowing what a shame but you have some beautiful dogs there and I'm sure they will soon find wonderful homes...
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karlin,
    I wish I'd room to take them all but I have put in an application for poppy, the B&T female.They're all gorgeous!
    ann
    Barney (TRI), Ruby (RUBY) and the newbie Ralphie (B&T)
    and the cats Mollie and Blue xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lots of interest in various dogs -- there is someone just ahead of you Ann for Poppy that responded first but at any rate she needs foster for a while as I am told she is only coming off heat and cannot be spayed quite yet. Poppy is actually 4 not 2-3 according to an update from her owner.

Most of the girls and Bear the pup are reserved pending homechecks via people that have contacted me already but I always take more than one application as homes do not always work out, change their minds, etc.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

She's the same age as my wee girl Ruby. I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway!
    Ann x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just had a call and now have a 4 year old male B&T coming in as well! Perhaps he would be of interest? I don't have a picture yet.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I've a boy and a girl already, I thought it would be better to get another girl rather than a boy. Less likely to have issues with dominance. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No such thing as dominance.

Actually seriously it is a very poorly understood term and very misused in relation to dogs. So I always suggest people remove it from their minds and think in some less loaded terms. It can actually show up in dog relations but behaviourists will tell you that most people misjudge which dog is the 'dominant' one in their own home -- almost always they pick the anxious dog, not the leader, because it is the anxious dogs that are bossy and pushy and argumentative. Leaders in canine circles are calm, relaxed and need to do very little to maintain their place. And often different dogs are actually the 'leader' in different contexts, making it even more complicated to guess at their hierarchies. There tends to be a hierarchy amongst the females, and again amongst the males. I have no idea who the leader is amongst my three girls. Amongst the boys and for the group overall, people always guess the wrong dog in my house. They think it is Jaspar. Once I began to learn more about dog behavour, I realised it was likely to be Leo, as my trainer friends agreed. He is a quiet small sweet dog who happily shares toys and loves meeting other dogs. only rarely does he have a point to make and he does it calmly but firmly. Fascinating to watch. Meanwhile Jaspar is bouncy, barky, demanding of attention, snatches toys away, and expects my attention all the time. So people think he is running the show when he isn't!

On adding a third -- you could really opt for either with cavaliers in particular. Actually ask any trainer or breeder and they will tell you more problems occur between multiple females than multiple males. They will remind you that 'bitch' as a derogatory term is based on dogs for a reason! I know rescue people who will not home a female rescue into a home with an existing female -- but that said some breeds are far more problematical on this issue -- cavaliers really almost always get along. I do find boys tend on average to be more affectionate with people and easier going generally than girls though I like all my gang (which includes three girls and two boys!). But personality-wise I do give the boys a slight edge.

This guy sounds lovely; he is being left alone too much while owners are at work and they feel he would be happier in a home where he had some friends and people were around.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Forgot to add that nearly all these dogs are now booked!

The Facebook Irish Cavalier Rescue page has been great for bringing in new fosters and interested dog owners. If you have one of my rescues be sure to upload a picture (or five! ) on the rescue page if you are on FB.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Karlin, what ur saying makes a lot of sense coz I feel that my miss Ruby is more often than not the leader as she's calmer and when barneys being boisterous she can just let him know to back off!! Am looking forward tohearing about this BT boy now! Ann x