• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Medicine Advice?

Paddy n Tobys Mum

Just had Toby to the vets as he has had pain and then lost the use of his legs briefly this morning. Vet thinks its a neck problem and gave him a Metacam injection, but he is to have a 5 day course of Loxicom, she didn't say whether he should have a dose today though and by the time I got home they were closed.

Anyone know if he can have both?

Thanks

Hi: Sorry to hear about this -- and I think you may need to see a neurologist about a potentially more serious diagnosis. I am going to suggest having a read of the thread today in this forum in reply to Gatsby'sDad as I think you probably need to talk to your vet about the same possibility of syringomyelia if there was leg weakness and pain -- but also to look into episodic falling syndrome if it was a sudden loss of use of the legs. However neck pain would probably indicate SM, not EFS.

Most vets will not be familiar with either of these conditions and you will probably want a referral to a neurologist familiar with SM. It would be odd for a dog to lose the use of its legs simply for neck discomfort, and unfortunately syringomyelia is common in the breed and tends to get misdiagnosed as neck problems, back problems and allergies (due to scratching as one of the common symptoms, though not all dogs scratch in response).

More info at:

www.smcavalier.com
www.cavalierhealth.org
http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/faq.htm

On the painkillers -- yes they could certainly have both as many of us with SM dogs give Metacam daily on top of other meds and might 'top up; with something like Loxicom for more serious pain sessions. I would go ahead and give that too. You can print out some info on SM for your vet from www.smcavalier.com or the other sites -- all have downloads that can be taken in to a vet.

Thanks will give him his Loxicom later. I did mention SM and she says next step is a neck x ray. I have been looking at SM info!

Back