• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lola's MRI

AgilityLola

Well as expected it isn't good news :(

Lola had her consultation this morning, Clare examined her and said that she had obvious scratching symptoms, no pain symptoms and might have a very slight balance problem (but she said she was probably analysing it too closely and she might not). So we decided to have the MRI on the same day, so we could get a definite diagnosis.

5 hours later we went back to pick Lola up and see the results. The MRI showed that Lola does have SM caused by the cerebellum within the foramen magnum (which i knew it would be). But what was surprising was the size of the syrinx, it is 7.78mm by 6.17mm which is MASSIVE. She also has a few other smaller syrinxes which reach to her 4th vertebrae. The main syrinx is located more towards the left as well, which because of her symptoms, scratching on the rights side, is strange because Clare thought it should be more to the right. But Clare says the strangest thing is that Lola isn't in much pain, because of the size of her syrinx it would be expected for her to be in a lot of pain. Clare said that she had seen Cavalier's with syrinxes which are 4mm in diameter in a considerable pain compared to Lola's massive syrinx which is 7.78mm in diameter. Though she did say that some dogs are just 'wired' differently, which could be why Lola isn't in any pain because the pain receptors aren't in the same place as other dogs. Clare said though Lola isn't in any pain now, within 2 years it is almost guaranteed, because of the vast size of her syrinx, that she will be in pain.

Additionally she has some ventricular dilatation, what is this?

So we came back with some Gabapentin for the time being, she is taking 100mg twice daily. But we are now know we will definitely have surgery because she has only just turned 2 and her syrinx in 7.78mm in diameter so we want to do as much as possible to slow down the growth of the syrinx and try to prevent the pain as long as possible.

Could really use some hugs right now, i am glad that we've finally started management, but i wasn't prepared for the extent of the syringomyelia that she has. :(

Sending love and hugs :hug::hug:and comforting thoughts...

many of us have "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" with hearing this diagnosis, but it never gets any easier and it's so distressing to hear this about your beloved companion - even when you are expecting the news. :(:(:(

It is good that Lola is not having any pain right now - and I think you need to very seriously consider the treatment options, but I'm sure you discussed that with Clare and will continue to think about it.

There's a good description of ventricular dilation here http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/part2.htm#8

The Gabapentin should help control her symptoms.

Thinking of you.

Hi Lola's Mum

So sorry you've had the shock of such a big syrinx, but glad that in spite of it Lola isn't in too much pain. Hope the Gabapentin will help the scratching, and that you will be able to make the right decision about surgery.

Lots of hugs:hug::flwr::hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

It is horrible to face up to the reality of Sm, I had one of mine scanned as part of the research thinking he was free from SM, he came back with a scan showing a 5mm syrinx, CM and moderate ventricular dilation.

Barney has since showed a few signs of pain so I've seen the vet and he is on some medication now. As he's 8.5 years old fingers crossed it will get no worse.

Barney is still Barney bless him, SM or no SM.

It is upsetting but at least armed with full information you can give Lola the very best chance for her future.

Sending hugs your way!!

Sending love and hugs :hug::hug:and comforting thoughts...

many of us have "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" with hearing this diagnosis, but it never gets any easier and it's so distressing to hear this about your beloved companion - even when you are expecting the news. :(:(:(

It is good that Lola is not having any pain right now - and I think you need to very seriously consider the treatment options, but I'm sure you discussed that with Clare and will continue to think about it.

There's a good description of ventricular dilation here http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/part2.htm#8

The Gabapentin should help control her symptoms.

Thinking of you.

Thanks for the link :)

I am so sad to see that Lola has this large syrinx and at such a young age too. I really don't know much about SM, but I do know that the later it appears the less chance there is of symptoms appearing. I was another who took a 6 1/2 year old boy for the scan, expecting to send a clear report to the researchers and was just as devastated to find he has both CM and SM.

Here are some cyber hugs to keep you going - can you see them yet, they're in the , :drivecar:speeding down the motorway to reach you ;) Never forget that we are all here to support you when you need us.

Last edited:
Big hugs; it is really hard to get a diagnosis that is worse that you expect, and any SM diagnosis is upsetting. But it is really good for Lola that you got her scanned and thus know how she is doing -- a real argument to opt for an MRI whenever anybody can manage it.

You are in good hands.

I am so sorry you have had this news. Even though you know in your heart the news is going to be bad, it is still a shock. We are all here to help and support you. Molly Dougall and Dotty send you and Lola lots of gentle hugs and sloppy licks. :hug:

Lola's MRI.

I am so sorry you have had this news. Even though you know in your heart the news is going to be bad, it is still a shock. We are all here to help and support you. Molly Dougall and Dotty send you and Lola lots of gentle hugs and sloppy licks. :hug:

LOLA'S MRI

Was so sorry to hear about LOLA ,but this is such Marvellous Site for giving Help and Support to all the Owners of Cavaliers with SM, it's also great that you can pass information to each other ,

Bet

Sorry to hear that Lola has had such a surprising Mri result.
Like Teresa,I had my girl scanned for information and research and was surprised to find two sizeable syrinxs,again there were no absolute pointers to this and I was kicking myself,imagining that this was my fault for dismissing symptoms etc..
but the reality is that the syringomyelia can progress and deteriorate significantly before obvious symptoms arise.
Coincidentally,she did become symptomatic some months later and we're trying to keep on top of the situation with some wonderful support from this site and the help of some good friends I've picked up along the way.
Sins

So sorry to hear that Lola's been diagnosed with SM, you are now starting a journey to keep her pain free and happy. It is often a difficult journey filled with all sorts of worries, but we are all here for you.

I have found this board to be filled with the most amazing supportive people who are always willing to hold your hand and give sensible advice especially when you are feeling emotionally distraught at what is happening to your precious cavvie.

Sending lots of :hug:to you and Lola, and with Clare and Stone Lion you could not be in better hands.:)

here is her MRI

73719_453451532262_605812262_5650137_6146777_n.jpg

I'm sure others on this board are able to give a cursory read to Lola's MRI. I cannot at all. However, my Riley had decompression surgery more than 2 years ago so if you decide to go that route and have any questions about her surgery and recovery, please PM me. I am happy to share my experiences. Riley is doing really well and I couldn't be happier that I elected to do the surgery. For her it was the right choice.

Hi Lola mom, I'm so sorry to hear about Lola's MRI. Corey too has a massive one, even bigger than hers (his was 9mm at 2 y 7 mo.) and he just turned 3 yo. in Sept. Dr. Shores said that he never seen a syrinx as big as his and that really upset us. Also he said the strangest thing was how he only show minor symptoms and a lot of cases with smaller syrinx show more pain symptoms. He suggested surgery right away and since we were already prepared ourselves to go on that route, we decided it'll be the best thing for him. It's only been a little over 2 mo. and we can see a big difference. If you decided to go with the surgery and have any questions just PM me. Lots of :hug: and kisses to you and Lola.

here is her MRI

73719_453451532262_605812262_5650137_6146777_n.jpg

I am so sorry Lola had such a bad result. So many of us have been in the same position, hoping that our suspicions will prove to be just imagination.

You really have taken Lola to the best possible place. I hope she can be kept comfortable for a long time.

There is something that all of us, the owners of SM dogs, can do and that is make sure the breeder knows what has happened.

Your little girl was bred by a non-showing partnership that produces a lot of puppies. Not just cavaliers, other breeds as well.
The father of Lola is still being used a lot as a stud dog. This obviously means that many other puppies could be at risk.

Please would you write to them and tell them about Lola's diagnosis and ask them if they are now scanning their cavaliers before breeding from them. Send the letter by registered post, so they are guaranteed to receive it.

Send a copy to the Kennel Club with a note asking that all their registered puppies have health tested parents.

It is tremendously important that breeders, whatever country they are in, are told if they have bred SM affected cavaliers ( or those with early heart murmurs )
Otherwise they can just fool themselves, and other people, into thinking their lines are 'clear'.

So sorry to hear about the results. Its very difficult indeed...........Charley had a massive syrinx about 9 mm as well and the region affected was his C2-L4. I opted for surgery and so far he's doing well. If you have questions, please email me...everyone on this board was so helpful to me and provided support so if there's anything i can do, please don't hesitate to ask.

Back