Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you your dog's or your cat's mummy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Are you your dog's or your cat's mummy?

Personally I detest those terms! But know others love using them; to each his/her own. Very interesting post by Telegraph vet columnist Pete Wedderburn:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/pe...r-cats-mummy/?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's really interesting that there is such a shift in attitude within the veterinary profession...

I think it's a matter of personal taste - but do understand why people find the terms offensive.

its reported that over 90% of newly qualified veterinary graduates in the USA intend to work with pets. Only 2% intend to work with large animals, with only 7% aiming at mixed practice.

This is quite concerning for the future of farm animals
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, from my username, I guess I do use the "mom" thing! However, I'm not nearly as devoted to the terminology as some people are. I use it because "master" seems way too domineering, and "owner" too impersonal, although I do use the term "owner" occasionally. If I could think of a better alternative, I probably woudn't use mom. And I NEVER say furbaby or furkids, for what it's worth! I rarely use "mom" w/r/t Daisy in public, and if I do, I get a little embarrassed. I definitely refer to her as my baby, though. And really, she's such a snugglebug that she reminds me of my babies at about 5 months of age. All soft and sweet and cuddly, looking up adoringly into my eyes, completely trusting, etc. OK, I'll stop now.

But believe me, I am a mom, a real human mom to human kids, so I do recognize the difference in roles between being a dog-mom and a kid-mom. (Although my kids accuse me of putting Daisy above them on occasion -- crazy-talk!)

My 10 year old daughter has talked about being an equine vet -- so we may have one very loving horse vet coming down the pike in about 20 years!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think guardian is a lovely expression - owner is too derogatory
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely mummy!
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by *Pauline* View Post
    I'm definitely mummy!
    I'm Mum, but they all seem to know my name is Flo too.

My vet generally calls for Rebel Sinclair or whoever is booked in. I quite like that, as two clients might have the same surname or two dogs be waiting called Rebel.

However, my dogs are dogs, I treat them as dogs and not humans, but I acknowledge they are often on a par with a human toddler.

Three sleep on my bed at night, but not the cock-a-leggie boys, Winston and Joe, who sleep in their crates downstairs.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Confession time.....Im Leo's Momma
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

OH YES. And I ain't ashamed to say so!

I'm Bob and Belle's Mom and my husband is their Dad and they both know that... also our little girl is their sister, and she really likes saying it!

Post Thanks / Like

mmmmmmmmm i think im more their butler than dad/owner or whatever term folks use ha ha ha ha !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I am their slave!! LOL They get food, warm beds, walkies etc etc. After walkies I get to head off to work (All be it part time) then home again to a smashing greeting and walkies again followed by a warm lap, more food, ball games etc!!

I am laughing as I type - I am their "Mummy" Kevin is definately "Dad" He likes say it's all my decision when a new animal arrives (To be fair, the new Guinea Pig Trixie was mostly me! But Miffy needed a new friend!!) But when Cassie greets him and pins him to the sofa full of joy to see him he melts completely!!