Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog

    Expect no punches to be pulled on producer Jemima Harrison's new blog:

    http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Take a look at the blog about the Bulldogs. The dog was so restless, so obviously in distress, and the colour of his tongue is unbelievable.

    The hall was not hot, just comfortable. These dogs must suffer so much during a warm summer.
    Margaret C

    Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    It is incredible that people were there looking at these dogs as a choice for a pet and even the owners -- presumably well-informed about the breed -- could not see that there is definite distress. I think it is yet again an example of why legislation is needed to FORCE changes in the way dogs are bred as even the breed aficionados and breeders cannot see what any vet could diagnose just by looking at those dogs. The average person would not recognise the problems but more than one vet I know has looked at that footage and agrees they are having serious respiratory problems evidenced by the tongue going purple.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    There is no way I would ever personally condone malformation of any animal or any suffering, accidental or otherwise, but

    Knowing nothing about this breed or it's health status I do not feel myself able to comment. Surely there was at least one experienced vet on duty and present throughout at least part of the event. Surely some caring person, perhaps Ms Harrison or any camera operator used by her should have reported this dog's apparent suffering to that vet so that the dog could be expertly examined and withdrawn from the event if appropriate.

    Past experience tells me that video evidence may not always be as it seems, but I was not there and have no idea of the true circumstances of the filming.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    There is no way I would ever personally condone malformation of any animal or any suffering, accidental or otherwise, but

    Knowing nothing about this breed or it's health status I do not feel myself able to comment. Surely there was at least one experienced vet on duty and present throughout at least part of the event. Surely some caring person, perhaps Ms Harrison or any camera operator used by her should have reported this dog's apparent suffering to that vet so that the dog could be expertly examined and withdrawn from the event if appropriate.

    Past experience tells me that video evidence may not always be as it seems, but I was not there and have no idea of the true circumstances of the filming.
    Hello Flo,

    You obviously did not read the blog. The Bulldogs' distress was reported.

    Quote.........

    "The dogs were in such a poor state that I reported them to the show vet and showed him my footage, mentioning who I was. "Could you hang on here a moment while I go and show this to the Kennel Club" asked Eric the vet, reaching out for my iPhone (on which I filmed the dogs). Fearing my beloved Apple portable device might meet a sudden and untimely end once in KC paws, I said I would stay put while they fetched someone. Eric disappeared. I waited. Who would it be, I wondered. I waited some more. No one came. But of course - they would have gone straight to the Bulldog stand! I left my phone number with the veterinary nurse and hot-tailed it to the Bulldog stand just in time to see Eric the vet and KC Secretary Caroline Kisko ushering the two bulldogs and their unhappy owners off the stand. And it wasn't just for a quick vet-check either. They didn't return."

    Margaret C

    Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lochearnhead
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm absolutely appalled!

    Margaret you were spot on regarding the haw on the Neo. What in god's name are breeders doing? That Neo had far more wrinkles than the dog I first saw 30 years ago! Why oh why do people have to breed to extremes instead of a "standard" or average??
    Briar, Jack, Berry and coeliac cocker Bracken foster cockers Rowan and puppy Simba

    "Spaniels In Need"
    (a 'not for profit' rescue organisation)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    Hello Flo,

    You obviously did not read the blog. The Bulldogs' distress was reported.

    Quote.........

    "The dogs were in such a poor state that I reported them to the show vet and showed him my footage, mentioning who I was. "Could you hang on here a moment while I go and show this to the Kennel Club" asked Eric the vet, reaching out for my iPhone (on which I filmed the dogs). Fearing my beloved Apple portable device might meet a sudden and untimely end once in KC paws, I said I would stay put while they fetched someone. Eric disappeared. I waited. Who would it be, I wondered. I waited some more. No one came. But of course - they would have gone straight to the Bulldog stand! I left my phone number with the veterinary nurse and hot-tailed it to the Bulldog stand just in time to see Eric the vet and KC Secretary Caroline Kisko ushering the two bulldogs and their unhappy owners off the stand. And it wasn't just for a quick vet-check either. They didn't return."
    You are quite right of course Margaret and I apologise. In fact I saw the video and felt physically sick, so sick that I clicked off the site. Then I thought about it, but could not go back to it, so I posted as I did.

    Full marks to Ms Kisko et al for responding so effectively. I think that while still imperfect the KC are trying their best to bring about improvement.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    You are quite right of course Margaret and I apologise. In fact I saw the video and felt physically sick, so sick that I clicked off the site. Then I thought about it, but could not go back to it, so I posted as I did.

    Full marks to Ms Kisko et al for responding so effectively. I think that while still imperfect the KC are trying their best to bring about improvement.
    I do wish I could agree that the KC is trying their best, but there is no real evidence that is so.

    From what I have seen, heard, and experienced, the KC is still only concerned about health issues when embarassed into taking action.
    Margaret C

    Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    ...What in god's name are breeders doing? That Neo had far more wrinkles than the dog I first saw 30 years ago! Why oh why do people have to breed to extremes instead of a "standard" or average??
    Well, consider the CKCS. Since 1997/1998, breeders in the UK & USA have known how to breed early-onset mitral valve disease out of the breed within three generations. All they have had to do is follow the MVD breeding protocol -- http://cavalierhealth.org/mvdprotocol.htm But about 98% of them (in the USA, at least) have refused to do so. So, early onset MVD persists, with over half of all cavaliers developing murmurs by their fifth birthday, then followed by MVD's progression to painful, premature deaths.

    Unlike the Neo, this has nothing to do with the dogs' outward physical appearances or the breed standard. And yet, because most all CKCS breeders think only as far as their next generation of future champions, the entire breed continues to suffer. Remember, it is much, much easier to breed champion cavaliers when you ignore health testing and breeding protocols.

    How do these breeders deal with the criticisms? Like one of the comments on the pedigreedogsexposed.com blog, they attack those who bring this information forward. They accuse these mostly pet owners of ignorance ("I'm a breeder and you're not!") and egotism. I have found that one of the best ways to strike cavalier breeders from your list is to read how they respond pet owners who urge breeders to follow health testing protocols. My list of prospective CKCS breeders in the USA, from whom I'd want a dog, is down to mighty slim.
    Last edited by RodRussell; 16th November 2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added parenthetical
    Rod Russell

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Pedigree dogs exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Well, consider the CKCS. Since 1997/1998, breeders in the UK & USA have known how to breed early-onset mitral valve disease out of the breed within three generations. All they have had to do is follow the MVD breeding protocol -- http://cavalierhealth.org/mvdprotocol.htm But about 98% of them have refused to do so. So, early onset MVD persists, with over half of all cavaliers developing murmurs by their fifth birthday, then followed by MVD's progression to painful, premature deaths.

    Unlike the Neo, this has nothing to do with the dogs' outward physical appearances or the breed standard. And yet, because most all CKCS breeders think only as far as their next generation of future champions, the entire breed continues to suffer. Remember, it is much, much easier to breed champion cavaliers when you ignore health testing and breeding protocols.

    How do these breeders deal with the criticisms? Like one of the comments on the pedigreedogsexposed.com blog, they attack those who bring this information forward. They accuse these mostly pet owners of ignorance ("I'm a breeder and you're not!") and egotism. I have found that one of the best ways to strike cavalier breeders from your list is to read how they respond pet owners who urge breeders to follow health testing protocols. My list of prospective CKCS breeders in the USA, from whom I'd want a dog, is down to mighty slim.

    Thanks Rod for your Post, I am having quite a Battle on another Forum about the SM and MVD Problem in Cavaliers .

    One Cavalier Breeder has just stated that,the SM and MVD Problems in Cavaliers should Never have been put in the Public Domain.

    That telling Cavalier Buyers about SM has made them Fearful.Any -way what is in the Public Arena about the SM and MVD in Cavaliers is Untrue.

    I just cannot agree with this Statement ,the Cavalier Buying have got to be being made aware to only buy from a Cavalier Breeder who is Health Testing and following the Breeding Guideline Recomendations ,not to Breed from a Cavalier before 2.5 years of age, and know the Health Status of the Grand-Parents at 5.

    I just don't know enough about the Pedigree Back-ground of
    Cavaliers with SM, but do know that ,as I have often said ,that Cavaliers in the 1940's and 19 50's who were being used at Stud, were dying from Heart Trouble at 6-8 years of age.

    So could one of the Reasons be why the MVD Problem is not Improving ,is that there are now so many Cavalier Carriers around now with the MVD Genes., as a result of Breeding from those Early Cavaliers who were suffering from Heart Trouble.

    Are even Long Lived Cavaliers Carriers of the MVD Genes,if they are what a Mess the Cavalier Breed is in.

    I could be Contradicting my-self , saying about Health Testing and following tbe Breeding Guideline Recommendations on Cavalier Breeding Stock, but by doing this ,even although there are Cavalier Carriers of SM and MVD Genes, maybe through time those Carrier Genes will get Diluted.

    Any-body got any thoughts about this.

    Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •