Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Say One Thing, Do Another

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Well, consider the CKCS. Since 1997/1998, breeders in the UK & USA have known how to breed early-onset mitral valve disease out of the breed within three generations. All they have had to do is follow the MVD breeding protocol -- http://cavalierhealth.org/mvdprotocol.htm But about 98% of them have refused to do so. So, early onset MVD persists, with over half of all cavaliers developing murmurs by their fifth birthday, then followed by MVD's progression to painful, premature deaths.

Unlike the Neo, this has nothing to do with the dogs' outward physical appearances or the breed standard. And yet, because most all CKCS breeders think only as far as their next generation of future champions, the entire breed continues to suffer. Remember, it is much, much easier to breed champion cavaliers when you ignore health testing and breeding protocols.
    Nothing has changed except the hypocrisy becomes more blatant. I call them the "Say One Thing, Do Another" crowd

I read the Breed Record Supplement..... Club Members mating 14 month bitches, back to back matings becoming commonplace in some breeding programmes, so that one poor little girl had two litters by the time she was 22 months..............Now isn't that the sort of thing that puppy farmers are suppose to do, not responsible club breeders that had signed to say they would accept the Club's rules?

And then there is one of the latest Champions, with puppies born when he is only 14 months, not just a proving litter, more litters have been born and more on the way.
    Owner is a regional club health representative.
    Last edited by Margaret C; 16th November 2010 at 08:37 PM.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The blog's criticism of the American Kennel Club is not quite fair in this instance. The AKC has no initial say in matters pertaining to particular breeds. That authority is in the hands of the "parent club" for that breed, which here would be the Dalmatian Club of America (DCA).

There is nothing unique about an AKC parent club being stacked with harden-hearted breeders more concerned about championships than relieving future generations of puppies from intense pain and early deaths. For instance, I can think of at least one other AKC parent club which has refused to even acknowledge the existence of the cavaliers' MVD breeding protocol, much less urge its members to follow it.

Imagine the AKC commissioning a study of early-onset MVD in CKCSs, in which the study absolutely and unequivocally reported that following the MVD breeding protocol would greatly reduce, if not eliminate, early-onset MVD in the breed in three generations. And then, imagine that:

The AKC's Board agreed to a proposed agreement, pending acceptance of the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club's Board, which would bring the matter to a vote by the ACKCSC membership in June 2011. The AKC Board would consider this vote, along with other factors in reaching its final decision.
    Now, just imagine what the result we may expect from the ACKCSC...
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    I read the Breed Record Supplement..... Club Members mating 14 month bitches, back to back matings becoming commonplace in some breeding programmes, so that one poor little girl had two litters by the time she was 22 months..............Now isn't that the sort of thing that puppy farmers are suppose to do, not responsible club breeders that had signed to say they would accept the Club's rules?

I assume the CKCS Club wil do absolutely nothing about this terrible abuse of a young dog?
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

Margaret what you've written makes me so cross!! What are people thinking?
    I have a friend, lost two older Cavaliers and has a puppy...Six months old and having her first season. Yesterday says to me I would like a litter next year!!! I said but she will only be 18 months old max! She didn't have a clue, I said if I even consider a litter I would want Cass to be two and a half plus and health checked first. When I mentioned heart and eye checks she went quiet...not a clue!!! She's a lovely lady but clueless!!! People who don't look into breeding fully are really not helping with the problems!!!

A friend I have on Facebook that I knew at school has just homed her puppies, through a free ad paper I don't think any specific checks had been done on the dogs either!!

I have only ever had Barney and Cassie but there is no reason that anyone can't dig
    on the net and gain knowledge, I think a lot of people would rather not know...
    I am so grateful for forums like this and people caring passionately about the breed
    I can't tell you.
    When I was looking for a new pup a lady I know at the childrens school who very sadly lost a Cav that was put to sleep because of Sm and has another sufferer said she wouldn't get another and recommended the same for me...I thought, no I love the breed and spent a lot of time looking for a breeder and pup I was happy with. This lady has since bought a British Bull Dog puppy along with all the issues they carry!! It has already had an eye operation!!

I am going to stop writing now!! I just get so angry and upset!! Sorry to go on!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    I assume the CKCS Club wil do absolutely nothing about this terrible abuse of a young dog?
    I am not sure this ("one poor little girl had two litters by the time she was 22 months") would be abuse. In the CKCSC,USA, it still is okay to "Allow a [1+ year old] bitch to whelp ... two litters during any three consecutive seasons."
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And then there is one of the latest Champions, with puppies born when he is only 14 months, not just a proving litter, more litters have been born and more on the way.
    Owner is a regional club health representative.
    What a moron. These people are so empty of any ethical sense or responsibility towards cavalier breeding, aren't they? What a perfect example to bring to the new Dog Advisory Committee and to people's own MPs to ask for real change in dog breeding.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am not sure this ("one poor little girl had two litters by the time she was 22 months") would be abuse. In the CKCSC,USA, it still is okay to "Allow a [1+ year old] bitch to whelp ... two litters during any three consecutive seasons."
    In the UK Cavalier Club Code.........

PART D: - BITCHES TO BE USED FOR BREEDING.

4. No bitch should normally rear a litter on consecutive seasons, and in any case, must have no more than one litter in any 12 month period.
    Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    What a moron. These people are so empty of any ethical sense or responsibility towards cavalier breeding, aren't they? What a perfect example to bring to the new Dog Advisory Committee and to people's own MPs to ask for real change in dog breeding.
    I have written to the Cavalier Club and the regional breed club. I do believe it is up to the clubs to make it clear they expect certain standards from their members.

I'm awaiting their replies.
    Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    When I was looking for a new pup a lady I know at the childrens school who very sadly lost a Cav that was put to sleep because of Sm and has another sufferer said she wouldn't get another and recommended the same for me...I thought, no I love the breed and spent a lot of time looking for a breeder and pup I was happy with. This lady has since bought a British Bull Dog puppy along with all the issues they carry!! It has already had an eye operation!!

I am going to stop writing now!! I just get so angry and upset!! Sorry to go on!!
    Hello Teresa,

Go on all you like, someone has got to care, and it is the pet owner that will be left coping with the sick dogs.

We need to get angry & upset, and then channel that emotion into making things change.

We owe it to the gentle little dogs that suffer because of a few selfish money grabbing people.
    Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like

My list of prospective CKCS breeders in the USA, from whom I'd want a dog, is down to mighty slim.
    I really agree with that statement. I have been searching around for a breeder who health tests whom I might consider purchasing another puppy from. Sadly most breeders I find seem to be ignoring the health issues and make the informed puppy buyer feel like they are mislead about health issues in the breed. The few that do health test seem to only be interested in MVD, hips, knees and eyes. I'm GLAD there are some breeders out there who care enough to do these tests but if they are obviously educated about MVD I don't understand how they can ignore SM.

I was so shocked when I recently contacted someone from the Cavalier Rescue of the USA. She had been so helpful in recommending I take Flash to Texas A & M and was very knowledgeable about the breed. I inquired if she could point me in the right direction of anyone anywhere in the USA who does MRI testing on there breeding stock. This is the response I got : "MRI exams are not required of breeders so I doubt you will find any breeders in the US or elsewhere who do an MRI on their breed stock."