• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog

On finding a breeder in usa that scans from cavalier rescue statement, I'm sure you can but have to look. Having a dog with SM it obviously is a concern of mine, but what has pointed out, mvd protocal is still not being followed like it should.

I'm thinking of the particular cost of scanning MRI for a breeder is so much more than MVD. I'm not a breeder so please correct me! It just seems that if something less expensive is not being followed but at least it is recognized, I can see their point. We need cheaper scans for breeders here and it to be pushed and exposed as it has been elsewhere.

I don't know if it came out right but I think very few people in the usa have a clue about any health issues. Its not a joke and these poor dogs suffer. There are good breeders but it seems so easy for people to do without any concern for health

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Maybe that didn't sound right. If I found a breeder who scanned, I would still be skeptical of any breeder that said there is no chance of SM. I can't remember what the most recent statistics showed a to a, b to a, d to d... etc. It is hard for general public to understand these things. I know for my next cavalier, I would want someone open and honest. Someone who is active in trying to have the most healthy litter. Maybe my next will be a rescue with SM :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

... I inquired if she could point me in the right direction of anyone anywhere in the USA who does MRI testing on there breeding stock. This is the response I got : "MRI exams are not required of breeders so I doubt you will find any breeders in the US or elsewhere who do an MRI on their breed stock." :bang:

It is true that MRI exams of cavalier breeding stock are not required by either national CKCS club in the USA. But there are cavalier breeders who either MRI their breeding stock or otherwise follow the SM breeding protocol -- http://www.cavalierhealth.org/smprotocol.htm#International_Syringomyelia

List of UK breeders ...

I there a list of UK breeders who do all the health tests and follow the ethical code of using healthy dogs to breed etc etc? I would love another cavalier but I couldn't go through all the heartbreak again of watching my dog slowly and painfully die like my last one did.

I there a list of UK breeders who do all the health tests and follow the ethical code of using healthy dogs to breed etc etc? I would love another cavalier but I couldn't go through all the heartbreak again of watching my dog slowly and painfully die like my last one did.

Hello Jennifer,

Send me a PM with your email address.

I keep a list and I send it out with information on what certificates the breeder should show you. I also explain how to read those certificates and be sure that the puppies have been bred according to the guidelines.

I advise that buyers should make it clear that they expect to see all the certificates when they first go to see the puppies.
They should not make the mistake of looking at the puppies before seeing the certificates, as they are unlikely to be able to resist taking one home.

There are many breeders who are expert sales people. They can 'talk the talk'. Buyers should not believe any breeder who says they have no problems with MVD or SM in their dogs. These problems are in every line.

Even with breeders that are recommended by other people it is wise to ask to see the certificates that prove the parents are unaffected.

I do not recommend breeders, as I cannot know for sure that every one of their litters are bred to the health protocols.
Breeders do sometimes breed according to the guidelines one time, & then decide to use an unscanned or underage dog when they produce the next litter.

I do have a list of a few UK breeders that I understand have scanned some of their cavaliers with good results, and that say they heart and eye test all their cavaliers.

My list, in many cases, is based only on information given to me by the breeder, so I make it quite clear that it is the Buyer's responsibility to make sure they know what certificates to ask for, & how to read the results shown on those certificates.

If the breeders on my list cannot help they will sometimes put puppy buyers on a waiting list, or refer them on to other breeders that are planning litters from health tested parents.

As you may expect I keep an eye on the Pedigree Dog Exposed blog and occasionally post a comment.

I have just come across a link on there posted by someone else. It is mainly concerned with Dalmations, but there is a bit about the Cavalier Club ( and me ) that has left me really chuckling.

http://darlingyouaredoingitwrong.blogspot.com/2009/09/quiz-gotta-pee-but-can.html

Dated 2009, I am surprised I have never seen it before.

If you want to know what show breeding is about........go and do the quizzes.

Back