• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lyrica - Compound vs tablet

Reptigirl

Hey everyone! I'm sorry if this question has already been asked before but I could not find anything on it.

Flash is currently on Lyrica 3 times a day. The vet has it compounded into a liquid form. It has been working great as long as I am always on time. I only see very mild symptoms occasionally throughout the day.

It is time for a refill and I checked with the local pharmacies. No one will compound Lyrica here :confused: Texas A&M is compounding it for us and is shipping it down overnight. Flash loves the compound and takes it down with ease.

I hate to change it but is there any difference between the compound and the pill form? That is besides a liquid compound that he will easily lick up and trying to hide a pill in food? Right now we are looking around $40 a month and he is only getting 25 mg 3 X a day. I'm worried if we ever have to up the dosage it will start to get expensive .... fast! I'm thinking the pill form from a local pharmacy will be cheaper....

Just wondering. I'm not going to change anything right now but in the near future I may want to.

Thanks!

$40 per month is a very good price!

We get 50 mg Lyrica capsules (2 times per day), and it costs us $163.05 per month at Walgreens. 25 mg capsules are nearly as expensive as 50mg at Walgreens.

I will definitely look into compounding if we can save money that way.

I want to thank you Reptigirl for starting this thread.

My little girl's gabapentin was being compounded into a 60 mg capsule for $100 a month in the city. We live in Texas. So today we traveled two hours to Texas A&M. We switched to the generic form of Lyrica for only $30. That's quite a savings and the medication can be shipped in the future.

Thank you! Thank you!

Wow. Ella is getting 50 mg 2x a day and it costs almost $100 every two weeks. Seeing neurologist Thursday and must ask!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My little girl's gabapentin was being compounded into a 60 mg capsule for $100 a month in the city. We live in Texas. So today we traveled two hours to Texas A&M. We switched to the generic form of Lyrica for only $30. That's quite a savings and the medication can be shipped in the future.

Thank you! Thank you!

I could fly to Texas and back for how much it would save. Please let us know when they can ship. Wonder if they do this at other vet schools like nc state

OK, am confused here -- because Lyrica is not available yet in generic form and won't be for a couple of years, as far as I know? The only place I can find generic pregabalin listed is on lots of very suspicious cheap drug sites. Maybe a research hospital can dispense in some different format?

I don't think Lyrica/Pregabalin will be available in a generic form for several years... at which time I will be having a champagne party. :)

I'm thinking the compounded 60mg gabapentin might have been changed to a standard 100mg gabapentin capsule for that low price of $30. Gabapentin has been available in generic form for quite awhile.

Anniemac wrote:
I could fly to Texas and back for how much it would save.

I wonder if other universities do the same thing, too. Unfortunately the MRIs are still very expensive in Texas. I must clarify that Lacey is on a small dosage of .7 ml twice a day. The pregabalin is in a tasty liquid form.

I'm sorry Cathy and Karlin. I didn't realize pregablin was the true name for Lyrica.

I'm just pleased to get it at such a nice price and I'm anxious to see if it works better than the gabapentin. She was still scratching on the 60 mg dose.

Wow that's great! The neurologist at OSU didn't have anything like that available for us. Do you know how many mg pregabalin per kg of body weight your Lacey is getting?

Thank you! Thank you!

WOW! I'm so happy you are saving money!!!

Well I found a better way to save :D

I have spent a while calling different places trying to find a cheaper pharmacy that will compound lyrica for us. Most local pharmacies wont compound Lyrica for some reason but I found 2 here in town that will. Flash's dosage was raised and we are now paying $65 a month. The local pharmacy will compound the same medication for $45. So next time we need a refill I'm going to have them send the prescription down.

You might want to do a local google maps search for "Compounding pharmacies" and then call around.

Anniemac wrote:
I could fly to Texas and back for how much it would save.

I wonder if other universities do the same thing, too. Unfortunately the MRIs are still very expensive in Texas. I must clarify that Lacey is on a small dosage of .7 ml twice a day. The pregabalin is in a tasty liquid form.

Flash is getting .8 ml 3 X daily (which I believe works out to 20mg 3 X Daily)

Flash LOVES his medication. He will do tricks for it.

Agreed the MRI's are very expensive.. the total for our ONE visit was over $1800. That included the MRI & care required, spinal tap (was only $25! LOL), and 1 month of medication.

Cathy, I assume Lacey is on a small dose. She scratches and pulls out her hair, but she has very few neurological deficits. In fact she still trains in canine freestyle...no jumping though.

Lacey weighed 6.9 kg today and as mentioned before she takes .7 mL of Pregabalin twice a day. The medication in this form must be kept in the refridgerator.

So glad Ella is having long visit with neurologist Thursday. I get such good info here. Cathy I will do a champagne toast when it's generic. Hey but it helps her

I talked to ellas neurologist about this information and he said he would call Texas a & m. I mentioned the expense so when we were going over medication options he mentioned not taking lyrica! No way....

Gosh

I pay £153.00 for 42 days worth which is approx $239!!!

Ive never heard of compound Lyrica/Pregabalin and Im with Karlin being confused!!

As far as I knew it isn't a trialed drug (on animals) and wasn't available to the masses at that cheap of price!

I made a mistake calling Pregabalin a generic for Lyrica. However, Lyrica is being compounded in a liquid form at Texas A&M. It is sitting in my refridgerator right now. This is no hoax.

How do you administer the liquid? Does it have sugar in it? I'm just thinking of teeth here, I'd prefer to give capsules. I know that means dividing capsules, I did this for years with Dylan's Gabapentin.

I pay £310 for 180x50mg Pregabalin at Boots Chemist, that lasts him 3 months.

I made a mistake calling Pregabalin a generic for Lyrica. However, Lyrica is being compounded in a liquid form at Texas A&M. It is sitting in my refridgerator right now. This is no hoax.

I think it's exciting that you have found this affordable option. :D

I hope that Anne can get some of this for Ella; then I'm next in line... :)

Back