Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a rant..How dare she!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time for a rant..How dare she!

As a cavalier owner I am very aware of most of the health issues and defects in the breed. I am also very aware about if my dog is overweight. I would say I am quite an educated cavalier owner (Most of us on here are)..But today, I was confronted by a lady, who thinks because she owns two black and tan cavaliers she can judge me and my ability to look after Murphy.

It started off with the "aww hes lovely"..Then she started to say how overweight he was. Murphy weighs 9.4kilos and at the moment is on a diet, more exercise and less food and he is doing very well..Which I explained to this lady, I then go on to say that EVERY CAVALIER IS DIFFERENT.
    But she seemed to think that my Murphy should weigh 5kilos and that I should feed him as little as possible and just one meal a day!! I then said if he was to weigh 5kilo's he would be almost underweight as hes quite a stocky cavi! I also explained he has mitral valve disease. Her reply..."What's that?" I was fuming.
    I then confronted her and told her before judging me and my pet she should research and know about the breed she owns. She goes on to say "they are from a breeder so there is not going to be problems with them"...I then left the conversation as I was so angry and Murphy did not like this woman as he backed off from her petting him, which I found weird!...

Alot more was said but this is just the basis. I can feel Murphy's rib's when I touch him so I know he is not massively over-weight.
    He looks a little plump as he doesn't have a silky coat, its wavy and thick. But please what does it take to buy a book about cavaliers, to use google and search cavaliers, research is easy, neccesary and vital to owning any pet!
    But how dare a member of the public tell me what to do with my cavalier when she doesn't even know about murmurs and MVD. Absolutely disgusted!

Also forgot to add - Murphy went for his boosters at the vets today, and the vet listened to his heart and described the sound "like a steam train"
    Last edited by MurphysMummy; 18th November 2010 at 08:08 PM.
    ..Life wouldn't be complete without a beautiful cavalier at your feet..
    xxxx Mummy to Murphy, aged 8. MVD wont stop my precious boy! xxxx
    28/09/09 Gotcha Day <3

Post Thanks / Like

An adult male cavalier at 20 lbs wouldn't be terribly overweight. Certainly dropping 2 lbs or so would be great but 5kg,which is 11lbs would be literally skin and bone.
    Just don't allow some stranger to cause you that much distress.Just continue as you are and you'll get him to a level where you and your vet are happy with him.
    It must be nice for that lady to feel so complacent about her own dogs health.
    next time anyone criticises you over your dogs weight,just look them straight in the eye and say
    "Yes, it's dreadful,since he gave up the cigarettes he's just piled on the pounds"

Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    An adult male cavalier at 20 lbs wouldn't be terribly overweight. Certainly dropping 2 lbs or so would be great but 5kg,which is 11lbs would be literally skin and bone.
    Just don't allow some stranger to cause you that much distress.Just continue as you are and you'll get him to a level where you and your vet are happy with him.
    It must be nice for that lady to feel so complacent about her own dogs health.
    next time anyone criticises you over your dogs weight,just look them straight in the eye and say
    "Yes, it's dreadful,since he gave up the cigarettes he's just piled on the pounds"

Sins
    LOL! Thank you sins, the cigarettes joke made me giggle!!
    ..Life wouldn't be complete without a beautiful cavalier at your feet..
    xxxx Mummy to Murphy, aged 8. MVD wont stop my precious boy! xxxx
    28/09/09 Gotcha Day <3

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

If only we could all have a sense of humour like Sinead when we meet morons!
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

LOL....great comeback!!

I saw a woman the other day with a hugely overweight dog. I heard someone make a negative comment about "how could she let that dog get in that condition". I responded "perhaps she's just adopted him and he came to her like that and she is working on helping him lose weight....you don't know her story" Really pisses me off when people are judgemental...especially when they don't know what they are talking about in the first place
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

What a cheek!

My Murphy weighs 11kg, and stands 16 inches high at the withers. At his last visit to the vet I asked our vet if he was overweight, but he assured that he was great. You can easily feel all his ribs when you run your hands over his body, but you can't really see them all that well as his coats so fluffy. Misty weighs 9.2kg, but looks heavier than Murphy as she is smaller than him.

I reduce both their food in the winter as we are less active in the bad weather. Misty was not impressed at being dragged out for a walk tonight, she wanted to go home after she'd done her business
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly some people leave you speechless. If he wieghed 5kg you'd probably have the RSPCA checking how you're feeding him. Bella weighs 9.6 and she's having her weight managed too. She's got a thick wavy coat so its not so slimming for her. One man stopped me one day and asked me if she was a pekingese . I nearly said would you like a squashed face !!
    Anyway I think Sin's comment about the cigarettes is the best answer, really made me laugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sins very funny! I can understand your frustration. I hate to say how much Ella weighs but I'm trying and its hard (limited activity) but I don't need to explain.

So many people advertize for small cavaliers. Saw one breeders website that went on and on about how picky, how healthy, perfect, etc her $3000 puppies were. A good friend (former breeder) pointed out that the beautiful website states the weight they will be (extremely small and unhealthy). Picture of champion dog was a Cavalier She knew and said owner would be very upset to see him on this website. (She said people will put pictures of champion cavaliers that are not their dogs). Came from Ireland.

Point is, if she did not know what MVD is, how on earth could she say "came from breeder no problems"

Last thing, in chain book store and both CKCS books did not mention SM, (shame) but not knowing what MVD is wow. Not surprised she us concerned with looks.

Most important! I'm so sorry about vets comment on Murphy's heart

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain! Daisy is somewhat overweight, but I can feel her ribs and she has a waist, so I don't think it's extreme. (The vet rates her a 3.5 on the 1-5 body condition scale.) I took her to a Cavalier show a couple of years ago, and in addition to her getting kennel cough at the show from all those perfect dogs, I had to endure 2 people telling me that she was overweight to my face, and a couple more who made audible comments not directed to me, but to each other behind my back. Of course, none of these people put their hands on Daisy to feel her body condition. They just looked at her from 10 feet away and made those judgments.

Another person said "I think that's a rescue dog." to their companion. That hurt my feelings, too. Not because I have anything against rescue dogs, who are often incredibly beautiful cavaliers, but it was obviously said in a pejorative way to explain why she didn't look like all those show dogs. I paid a lot of money for Daisy from a very good show breeder. She is just a big girl all the way around and I don't know if spaying has anything to do with it, but she has always had enough hair for 3 Cavaliers.

Add that to the fact that the cardiologist had cancelled out and no one bothered to notify me, and you can imagine how happy I was that I drove 45 minutes to bring Daisy to that show. Although I would like to have Daisy heart-checked by a cardiologist every year and I would like to watch some of the showing, that experience left a really bad taste in my mouth. (Kennel cough, insults, and cancelled cardiologist.)

And to be honest, there were many of those show dogs who looked literally emaciated to me. I know I probably have a skewed perception because Daisy is a bigger dog, but there were a few of them that if I found them on the street, I would assume they had been starving for a while.

There are know-it-alls everywhere. I guess we just have to have the confidence to stand up to them, which it sounds like you did! And then Miss Ever-So-Knowledgeable never heard of MVD?!! Amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

What a cheek

5kg's you say......Leo weighs 11 kg at the moment and is losing weight really well but I hope to god he never reaches 5kg.

Im trying to picture what he's look like

Well done for standing up for Murphy try to understand the lady you met obviously hasnt got a clue when it comes to the health of our breed
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)