Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a rant..How dare she!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done Murphy for standing your ground and preserving your self confidence.

Sins, your comment made me laugh so much I almost fell off the chair. I will remember that one.

The best mouthfull of crap I got from someone I hadn't seen at show before was that 'I know everything you know because i've already bred two litters from him' referring to her 18 months' old completely untested 'stud dog'. I pretended to see a friend across the hall, waved to no-one in particular and moved my dog and his stuff pretty smartly
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Sins - I too laughed out loud at your ciggies comment - love it

It is so frustrating when people launch into a rant about your dogs. The worst one I had was a few years ago when a woman came up to give off to me about my German Shepherd. She said one of her dogs was attacked by a Shepherd and while she was ranting at me her two wee rats were yipping and jumping all over Chelsea who just stood there and took it. To be honest, I'm not surprised another dog snapped and attacked at that behaviour. I'm still cross at myself for standing there taking it [and not booting her dogs up the backside!]

A neighbour of mine got his first ever dog [a husky] about a year ago and has become an "expert" on all dog matters. He's going to breed from her because it'll settle her down and be good for her temperament - I tried to tell him it'll not make a jot of difference & pounds are coming down with huskys but he knows it all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy's Mom View Post
    I feel your pain! Daisy is somewhat overweight, but I can feel her ribs and she has a waist, so I don't think it's extreme. (The vet rates her a 3.5 on the 1-5 body condition scale.) I took her to a Cavalier show a couple of years ago, and in addition to her getting kennel cough at the show from all those perfect dogs, I had to endure 2 people telling me that she was overweight to my face, and a couple more who made audible comments not directed to me, but to each other behind my back. Of course, none of these people put their hands on Daisy to feel her body condition. They just looked at her from 10 feet away and made those judgments.

Another person said "I think that's a rescue dog." to their companion. That hurt my feelings, too. Not because I have anything against rescue dogs, who are often incredibly beautiful cavaliers, but it was obviously said in a pejorative way to explain why she didn't look like all those show dogs. I paid a lot of money for Daisy from a very good show breeder. She is just a big girl all the way around and I don't know if spaying has anything to do with it, but she has always had enough hair for 3 Cavaliers.

Add that to the fact that the cardiologist had cancelled out and no one bothered to notify me, and you can imagine how happy I was that I drove 45 minutes to bring Daisy to that show. Although I would like to have Daisy heart-checked by a cardiologist every year and I would like to watch some of the showing, that experience left a really bad taste in my mouth. (Kennel cough, insults, and cancelled cardiologist.)

And to be honest, there were many of those show dogs who looked literally emaciated to me. I know I probably have a skewed perception because Daisy is a bigger dog, but there were a few of them that if I found them on the street, I would assume they had been starving for a while.

There are know-it-alls everywhere. I guess we just have to have the confidence to stand up to them, which it sounds like you did! And then Miss Ever-So-Knowledgeable never heard of MVD?!! Amazing.
    Almost the same experience as me when I visited a cavalier club show - worst outing experience of my life (so far), I disliked it alot and totally agree with you.
    Also when I told her Murphy was rescued she was like.."Oh?!?!" Kind of shocked.
    Thank God for us cavalier folk who love them dearly and consider health before looks.
    ..Life wouldn't be complete without a beautiful cavalier at your feet..
    xxxx Mummy to Murphy, aged 8. MVD wont stop my precious boy! xxxx
    28/09/09 Gotcha Day <3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Those are terrible stories of how you were treated at shows. We look to the breed clubs to educate the public and help our breed. When people have experiences like that, its no wonder they get a bad name no matter what they do.

Its a shame because I know rescue organizations want their volunteers to be members of clubs, educate, volunteer, etc. I know they would also feel bad for those comments because they spend time helping and come to love their fosters.

There is a lot to be said about education. The club shows should set an example and if someone feels snubbed, out of place, turned off, then something is wrong. Not all people, breeders, members are like that. However, one bad thing can overshadow any good.

The true beauty of a cavalier is their spirit. They love everything no matter what shape, color, size and accept all. I think that we should learn from that.

I read somewhere they were once prescribed for illness. Maybe we should return the favor and help their health now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

I have both ends of the scale at home. My tilly is currently up at 10kg... a little too heavy but also on lots of medication with severe SM. she also has the thick wavy coat (having been spayed) which makes her look fatter. Saying that I now shave her very short all over as she can't stand grooming anymore.

Fern on the other hand is far too skinny. Everyone assumes she is a puppy even though she is 3. She has been spayed to try to encourage weight gain but still comes in at just over 6kg. She has allergies to everything.

Seeng how skinny Fern is I cannot imagine any adult cavalier being healthy at 5kg.

There will always be idiots in the world... as long as you are taking sensible advice from people who really do know what they are talking about and making informed decisions on the wellbeing of your dogs, ignore them.
    Fern (Blenheim), Tilly (tri), Leo (blind, one eyed Shih tzu) and Maya (Japanese spitz.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Daisy's Mum, I am really shocked to read of your experience at a Club show. I have been a regular exhibitor at these shows for many years but have never seen or heard anything like this in all that time. Non show and rescue owners often turn up to see what is happening and to admire the entered dogs, few of which are actually placed, mine usually included.

Recently I arranged to meet a member of another list who wanted to see what a show was like and to meet exhibitors and their dogs. Even before he got there, when he rang to say he couldn't find the venue, friends gave prescise directions and once we met up I introduced him to most of the Cavalier people, who made him very welcome, showed him how to groom his dog to look his very best and listened sympathetically to the story of his rescue dog. Almost all those exhibitors are Club members with dogs frequently placed at champ. shows. I have pictures of the event to prove it.

One isolated and unforgiveable experience does not mean that all Club people are unfriendly and deirisory of rescue, or of pet dogs for that matter. Almost all of us have one thing in common - a love of our beautiful breed and an affinity with others who have them.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    I read somewhere they were once prescribed for illness. Maybe we should return the favor and help their health now.
    What a lovely sentiment
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

L
    Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    Daisy's Mum, I am really shocked to read of your experience at a Club show. I have been a regular exhibitor at these shows for many years but have never seen or heard anything like this in all that time. Non show and rescue owners often turn up to see what is happening and to admire the entered dogs, few of which are actually placed, mine usually included.

Recently I arranged to meet a member of another list who wanted to see what a show was like and to meet exhibitors and their dogs. Even before he got there, when he rang to say he couldn't find the venue, friends gave prescise directions and once we met up I introduced him to most of the Cavalier people, who made him very welcome, showed him how to groom his dog to look his very best and listened sympathetically to the story of his rescue dog. Almost all those exhibitors are Club members with dogs frequently placed at champ. shows. I have pictures of the event to prove it.

One isolated and unforgiveable experience does not mean that all Club people are unfriendly and deirisory of rescue, or of pet dogs for that matter. Almost all of us have one thing in common - a love of our beautiful breed and an affinity with others who have them.
    I will write a blog b/c I wanted to share how I have become friends (through a forum) with someone on the board of a regional club in my state. She has been so helpful (she has two SM dogs) but I was going to meet her at a show. Two of them were going to meet me, talk about the show aspect etc. I did not end up going, but wanted to say that I was not only welcomed but helpful. My friend actually is the contact for rescue and currently has an extremely overweight foster who she has come attached to.

I too was scared of what a show experience would be and intimidated, however I was invited and assured to be helped. I just know the quote "one bad apple spoiles the bunch"

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Well here's to hoping that you have at least educated that lady. Some people! Back when I had my last dog (a rottweiler) I did not neuter him until he was older because I wanted him to grow in full, and you would not believe the amount of people who asked me to let him breed with their dogs!!!!! Even after I told them he had hip dysplasia, they didn't care! Again.... Some people!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their own opinions on the Cavalier Club. Everyone's are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumie05 View Post
    Well here's to hoping that you have at least educated that lady. Some people! Back when I had my last dog (a rottweiler) I did not neuter him until he was older because I wanted him to grow in full, and you would not believe the amount of people who asked me to let him breed with their dogs!!!!! Even after I told them he had hip dysplasia, they didn't care! Again.... Some people!!!
    - Thats really bad, some people just don't care!!
    ..Life wouldn't be complete without a beautiful cavalier at your feet..
    xxxx Mummy to Murphy, aged 8. MVD wont stop my precious boy! xxxx
    28/09/09 Gotcha Day <3