• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Query About Foetal Tissue Research

Bet

Just noticed about some Posts on another Cavalier Forum about this Research from Yesterday's Seminar.

Would all the Cavalier Whelps be from Cavalier Breeders who are Members of the CKCS CLUB?

If that is the case ,then there would probably be no Cavalier Whelps from Puppy Farmers or BYB's.

I am not sure about this , but did the 100% of the Neonatal and Still-Born Cavaliers have CM.

As Professor Sir P. Bateson mentioned in his Report page 32 ,which has Recently been Published ,that the Cavalier Brain continues to Grow after the Skull has Ossified( hardened into Bone)with the Result that the Canal between the Ventricles of the Brain and the Spinal Cord is Occluded .

Bet

Just going to ask again that the board not be used as a place to response to threads on other boards please. (y).

If there's a general question to be asked, feel free however. :)

The supposition was there for a while that there seemed to be a mismatch between cavalier skull and brain, related to development in some way, and the foetal tissue research seems to be bearing this out and suggest this serious problem happens as early as in the womb. It is really helpful addition to the range of work being done. Some of the very early assessment on the genome project had reported that a likely area of activity showing up for SM were genes responsible for bone formation so confirmation of this will presumably mesh well with the genome work. I understand that ALL 71 stillborn cavalier foetuses had CM -- really tragic that this is the case and underlines the serious, widespread health problems now that must be addressed.

I think there's much opportunity for a couple of the existing research efforts to coordinate more closely now. :)

Bet, I've posted a very short report on Imelda McGonnell's talk on the MVD and SM section (under 'Cavalier Health Day'), which Karlin has commented on, but Sheena Stevens is doing a longer report which I'm sure will be published on the Cavalier Club website. I'm hoping some of the talks will be printed there as well - or at least the PowerPoint presentations.

All the best

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Query about foetal tissue research research

Just going to ask again that the board not be used as a place to response to threads on other boards please. (y).

If there's a general question to be asked, feel free however. :)

The supposition was there for a while that there seemed to be a mismatch between cavalier skull and brain, related to development in some way, and the foetal tissue research seems to be bearing this out and suggest this serious problem happens as early as in the womb. It is really helpful addition to the range of work being done. Some of the very early assessment on the genome project had reported that a likely area of activity showing up for SM were genes responsible for bone formation so confirmation of this will presumably mesh well with the genome work. I understand that ALL 71 stillborn cavalier foetuses had CM -- really tragic that this is the case and underlines the serious, widespread health problems now that must be addressed.

I think there's much opportunity for a couple of the existing research efforts to coordinate more closely now. :)

QUERY ABOUT FOETAL TISSUE RESEARCH.

Sorry Karlin,

Did'nt know whether to answer your or Kate's Post about this, but I thought I would comment on Karlins Post after reading that ALL 71 of Still-Born Foetuses had CM,since I believe that the Presence of CM can have the Possibilty of Leading onto SM.

This is so very Serious for the Cavalier Breed to have been given this Information.

I still wonder if the Whelps were from Cavalier Breeders who are CKCS CLUB Members, if they were then then the Problem could be in many Breeding Lines of Club Members.

This could link in with Kate's Post,where she mentioned about the Genes.

I think this means that it is Genes which are involved with the Developement of the Foetus ,maybe I'm wrong with this thought ,but if it is correct then surely it is most important at the moment to Heed what was so clearly Stated both by the Researchers into the MVD Problem and the SM Researchers at the Health Day.

That the Cavalier Breeders have GOT TO FOLLOW the BREEDING GUIDELINE RECOMMENDATIONS ,to Health Test Cavalier Breeding Stock, NOT TO BREED FROM A CAVALIER BEFORE 2.5 YEARS OF AGE and to Know the Health Status of the Parents at 5.

Now that this has so Clearly been Stated by the Researchers ,there should be No-More Pussy -Footing about by Cavalier Breeders,that they now know that the Future of the Cavalier Breed is in their Hands, that they have to Health Test and follow the Breeding Guideline Recommendations for their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

NO EXCUSES .....NO ARGUMENT.

All Buyers of of Cavaliers will now be being made aware about what was said at the Health Day,and I am sure will be Demanding to see Proof from Cavalier Breeders before they buy a Cavalier that Cavalier Breeders are doing this.

Bet

Back