• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help for hearts - a PS to the Health Day

Kate H

Couldn't work out how to add a comment to Margaret's useful report on the MVD presentations at the Health Day, but one useful piece of information that was given is that there is some evidence (but not conclusive) that supplements MAY delay heart enlargement (I think this was after a murmur had been diagnosed - in other words, they won't prevent the production of a murmur, but they may possibly slow down the rate of deterioration). These were Omega 3 (but not 6 or 9), Arginine and Taurine (I'll google these and see if I can find a retail name and source for them). Also reducing salt intake (but they will still need a moderate amount).

As I've mentioned on another post, a good source of Omega 3 for people in the UK is www.simplysupplements.co.uk - £9.99 for 360 x 1000mg (same price for smaller dosage as well) plus free postage if you order online. (No, I don't get commission! Have just found them efficient and cheap.)

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS I've had a quick google and both Arginine and Taurine are used in human heart conditions (Arginine for general heart health and Taurine specifically for congestive heart failure) and seem freely available from health shops. BUT before you use them you will need to consult your vet about their suitability for your dog and the right dosage for a small animal.

Last edited:
Back