• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sardine Fillest - Cook or not

Brian M

Hi

Among my many loopy ideas there often come to the front lots which are totally daft .My thoughts behind this one are the recent excellent reports regarding Omega 3 which the girls have in capsule form and have had for a long time .So I thought it would be nice for them if I introduce it as a meat source once or twice a week so I have bought from a fresh fish supplier a few boxes of sardine fillets as sardine is supposed to have a very high content of the right Omega 3 plus feeding them proper fish will be more palatable and tasty for them than capsules ,I weigh everything so will ensure they do get more than their daily allowance allows ,but I am now stuck as I don't know if I should feed raw or lightly cook them in some way and as I haven't a clue about cooking any help will be gratefully received .

All the girls meat produce I feed them as an added security and for storage at minus 22 C for a period of three weeks before feeding then I like to rotate from say chicken wings /beef mince /lamb neck /Nat Inst tripe /lamb breast /PAH tripe and now sardine fillets will be maybe once no more than twice a week purely to brighten their meal times but I need guidance on preparation pls my 5 kilo should be here on Friday from.

http://www.frozenfishdirect.co.uk/buy/sardines-11300-in-detail.html

I cant be bothered doing no more than a bowl of cornflakes for myself but I really enjoy preparing the girls meals great fun for me.:)

That is so great! I really enjoy making food for my pets too! My cat Solo always is getting special foods, raw, etc that I prepare for him. I would really love and enjoy to do the same for Coco, but I worry she will turn picky if I begin because I am having trouble getting her to eat her kibble.

Funny how we take better care of our pets than ourselves huh?

Mine have to make do with tinned sardines generally!! I drain them carefully and they eat the whole thing - obviously they are cooked.

However sometimes I buy them raw fish from the supermarket, they will eat some things raw but other stuff they only eat lightly cooked - I bake fish in the oven in foil, such as mackerel and sardines. Whitebait they will take raw [they were on offer in Morrisons for £1.99 per kg!!]

**be careful with raw salmon though**

I like them to have the whole fish so they get the calcium from the bones, and I think Ii'm right in saying that the skin contains much of the oil? Need to check that though.

Did you see in their specials section on your web link they do frogs legs :grnyuk:

;) never seen that before!!

Brian, I am like Nicki, I feed mine tinned sardines. unlike Tuna it's not very processed so is great for them, I buy them in oil which I drain and then Barney, Cassie and Taylor the cat all get one each!!

They love them and never have a bad effect on Tummies, even Barney's sensitive one!!

If you'd like to give fresh, again like Nicki says, steam in foil for ten mins or so!! Might give that a go myself to see if much different..

Teresa...x

I was interested that both Nicki and Teresa drain their tinned sardines. I get the ones in sunflower oil and give Oliver and Aled the nice fishy oil (good for coats!) on their breakfast biscuits and raw veg on a different day. From the speed with which it goes down, I think they enjoy it!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi

Thank you ladies cooking is definitely not a strong point of mine .In fact after my divorce (pre-Dawn era ) when their was just me and my faithful beautiful G.S.D. "Sheba" she had beef steak ,lamb chops etc while I survived on cornflakes, the local chippy and Chinese restaurant take away and Mums free food. It is so true for lots of people that they do without themselves while their companions have nothing but the best .
I tried my girls with one sardine each last night out of a tin of sardines in tomato sauce but I washed away all the sauce as I am always keeping one eye on their weight so I shall take your advice and give them 50 gramme steamed fillets twice a week .:)

I always drain them as I watch Barneys weight a lot of the time...Having weighed him yesterday and he is still slim Jim I might just let them share the oil in future!! I'm sure they will enjoy it :)) Cassie could do with filling out a bit anyway...xx

Ours love raw fish - including sardines (but as Nicki said, I would avoid raw salmon). They do smell a bit like seals afterwards though!
ETA - we feed ours the whole fish (which on that website are cheaper than the fillets)

Last edited:
Sully and my labrador Murphy both get the canned version. They both gobble them up! It makes a huge difference in their coats, IMO. Amazing what we do for our puppers.

Mine love sardines, too. That's the only time they wear the snoods I bought them. When they see the snoods come out they quiver with excitement and stand very still while they're fitted as they know that means it's sardines tonight!

Hi

Fish tonight ,my sardine fillets and few packs of whitebait have arrived .:D

Ps hope I have enough room in their freezer.:confused:

That's the only time they wear the snoods I bought them. When they see the snoods come out they quiver with excitement and stand very still while they're fitted as they know that means it's sardines tonight!

I don't want to show off but we have progressed from snoods :jump:

5206611313_b1dd617b3f.jpg

This is my favourite of all the cartoons I think - it just makes me laugh out loud when I see it!!

I love those cartoons... Brilliant! Frazzled cat really has a way of understanding the essence of the cavalier.:razz:

Back