• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Which vegetables?

Paddy n Tobys Mum

I have looked through the posts and it seems many give their Cavs raw vegetables.
I give mine the odd piece of carrot, but was wondering what would be the healthiest amount and how often and any other veg suggestions.

Thanks

Hi

I get the prepackaged veg's which have carrot ,broccoli,cabbage and green beans from Asda or Sainsbury (four in a bag ) then micro/steam them and split one bag between my four Cavaliers for each meal and also included one cooked sprout each daily. Also give them the occasional apple (no pips they have cyanide in ) banana and many other healthy fruits and in warm weather chilled melon .There are lots of different healthy foods to feed as an alternative to their normal items just research or ask here before you do feed them and they will love you even more ,actually just had an idea for a thread .:)

Dogs lack digestive enzymes to properly break down vegetable/plant cellulose and absorb the nutrients from raw frut and vegetables. They should be cooked or run through a blender first if you want to obtain full nuturitional value if using as part of their diet.

If you want to use vegetables as a low calorie, fun treats there is quite a few fruits and vegetables you can use. I give mine, Baby Sweet Corn, Sugar Snaps, Runner Beans and other types of long beans in season. Broccoli, they can use the thick stem as a chew, if I buy young broccoli they will eat the whole thing. I play games with Blue Berries, I roll them on the floor to chase with raw soya beans. I believe most soft berries are ok but perhaps someone would confirm.

I don't give them too much maybe I treat them 2/3 times per day.

Dougall has worked out if he bangs on the pantry door hard enough it pops open, Dotty will sneeak in and has dragged out a whole broccoli. Molly has stolen fruit, I have a gang of thieves. :jmp2:

Aled and Oliver have raw veg with their breakfast Burns: cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, courgette, parsnip, sprouts, fresh runner beans, defrosted frozen peas and beans - and they love asparagus! Veg is a very good way of giving them bulk and making them feel full without actually giving any extra food - important with Aled, who needs to watch his weight. I don't count it as part of their daily food intake, just a much enjoyed extra. At bedtime they go halves on a quite large carrot instead of a chew. Oliver isn't over-keen on fruit, but Aled likes melon.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back