• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

help

William Broe

hi all
new on here. have a king c. thats 9 months old and is now on her second heat is this normal for this breed or is there something worng

Hi William and welcome,
It might be a split season.
My 14 month old had a strange first season, she seemed to have a normal season at 8 months and just as I thought it was over, she took a week's break and had a full season again..
As long as your bitch is well and not appearing ill,she should be ok.You can give the vet a call if you're concerned at all,but keep her well locked up and treat this as a proper season again with all the normal precuations for keeping her out of harm's way.
Sins

Is she drinking a lot, being sick, does she feel warm to the touch? There is a slight possibility that it could be a Pyometra, womb infection, but unusual at this age. If there is anything out of the oridinary going on, make sure a vet checks her over urgently - this condition can quickly be fatal.

If sadly it is an infection, you may need to tell the vet that Cavaliers can have early Pyometra - a friend nearly lost her young Cavalier as the vet wouldn't believe her that it was a Pyo as they said she was too young!!

We have also had another Cavalier on the board take a Pyo at a very young age.

How long ago was her last season? Is the discharge the same as the last season?

She obviously isn't cycyling normally, so once this is finished, wait two months and then have her spayed as she would be high risk for a Pyometra anyway.

It could be a split season, it's unusual for them to have had two seasons at this age, some don't even have their first season until 9 months or older.

My aunt has a Cavalier who had the infection before the age of 2. She was so sick they had to take out her womb and ovaries. So in my opinion, it would be wise to visit your vet to have her examined just to be sure.
Said dog has now reached the old age of 13 though. .. Thought I'd just let you know! ;)

Do you have any other dogs? A while back my Shepherd went into a full heat again when the Cav went into heat a few weeks after.

Back