• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Peeing in bed

Zumie05

Coco is doing extremely well with potty training. Now at 17 weeks old she seldom has accidents, and when she does I know they are my fault.

However, I have noticed twice now that she seems to have pottied in her bed on purpose. This is the kind of bed that has sides so she can curl up in it. She does sleep in her bed and chew on bones in there too. And to add, she has never had an accident in her crate (another "bed"). The other night she was playing around and "nesting" in her bed, digging it up and what not (she always tries to nest in beds its cute!). Then she squatted and peed in it.

What gives? I think it was my fault because she had to go and must have been full, but honestly she could have stepped off her bed and gone somewhere else, we were in my bedroom.

Last edited:
I have no reasons for this but when Cass was little she did this a few times, no real reason why either....It has stopped now.

Funniest was when it rained loads, not a common occurance this summer!! When I put her out for toilet time she promptly came straight back in the door when my back was turned and pooped on the towel!!

That only ever happened once lol!! I did think it was funny she didn't want to get wet!!

I'm sure it will be something Coco will grow out of, she sounds like she's doing well, Cass took a while to get it right all the time and Coco is only a baby still :))

Oops.... my girl peed in MY bed once when she was a puppy. It's probably the only time I got really mad at her. She looked so guilty... she never did it again though. I was just so worried because I really wanted her to sleep with me @ night and not have to crate her ... Thankfully didnt happen again. Now I have the absolute best bedroom companion!!! :)

Vivian did this when she was young in each of the dog beds I have, more than once to one of thme. One of the beds the dye went through and stained the carpet. Out of fear I only last week bought the first new bed in over a year. I thought this might be a territorial marking thing as she in the dominant.

As for the new bed no marking yet.

Wash with oxyclean, best for getting out any smell.

Sassy, 11 year old poodle, pees in any soft dog beds I leave down in the family room [thankfully not on the 2 sofas which are also their beds] - probably marking/dominance thing. Interested if anyone has ideas that would help Sas as it happens when I'm not around so can't do much about it. I know the obvious solution is not to put down soft beds but with so many dogs [6], I like to give them the option to get away from one another.

Willow, my younger Cav, actually sneaked upstairs and peed in the middle of my bed once - what did I ever do to her! :shock:

I had this with Molly when she was a puppy. We still have the odd accident normally when it is raining but now knowing this, I am careful to get back into the puppy training routine of making sure she goes out for her pee at the appropriate time. I never get cross if there is an accident or deliberate incident.

Thanks for all the input so far. What just seems strange to me, is that I thought dogs were denning animals, meaning they will not soil the area they sleep and eat unless it is an emergency, say being locked in a crate and having no other choice. WHy would a dog mark what he or she sleeps on?!? Plus, isn't 4 months old a bit young for marking behavior, or does marking begin at any age?

Back