Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surprise the kids or Involve them in the process?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is really nice that you involve your children. When we first had our first cavalier who in now 10, my children were l4 yrs and 9 yrs old. My daughter in particular was so excited about going to see the puppies, I was left to do the reading up about cavaliers and do all the arrangements etc. Even now when we got our 7 month old a few months ago my daughter in particular at 24 yrs old and not living at home anymore wanted to come with us to see the puppies and was still so excited, they are such a big part of our lives and hopefully will be with us for many years it is lovely to get everyone involved in the decisions.
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly,involve the children,but sure that you're the one who actually chooses the pup.
    If you plan to buy from a truly health focused breeder,do not expect to have a puppy for Christmas.It may take a while longer to find the right breeder who may currently not have a litter at the right age for rehoming.
    I'm sure the children will understand if they have to wait a few extra weeks.
    But it's definitely worth waiting to find the right puppy,making the wrong decision can lead to a lifetime of heartbreak for you and your children,so it may be better not to set an immediate timeframe in which to locate a pup.
    A cavalier is the most wonderful family dog,I don't think there's any other breed who can compare to them for companionship and appeal.
    I have an almost four year old cavalier with syringomyelia and we can't hide the fact from our children...it's a worry I could have done without.
    Good luck in your search for your new puppy,I'm sure you'll have many years of joy and happiness with your new family member
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would involve the children but probably not until you've picked a breeder and even then I wouldn't until the litter was born. From my own experience it is REALLY hard to wait and there is a fine line between anticipation once you know when something is happening and the search. When I got Rylie I was prepared to wait a year or more. In the end I didn't need to but I didn't even tell my grown kids until we decided for sure on a breeder because "I" needed to be the one making that decision without being pressured not to be so picky.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

My personal feeling is to involve them. Cavaliermatters website has been designed with simple easy to understand information. Several people have used the tips and advice and general care section to teach their children. It is full of cartoons which makes the information easier to absorb.
    The advice Karlin and Nicki have posted is essential. A number of us have been caught out, having thought we thoroughly researched only to find the Breeder is nothing more than a front for Battery Farmed Puppies with the most terrible health problems.

www.cavaliermatters.org
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

I think we will not try to surprise them, but like one poster mentioned, we won't say anything until we've at least picked a breeder and put a deposit on a puppy or future puppy. Anticipation is fun, but it's also hard when you're a kid!

I've pretty much settled on one breeder, but I will continue to do more research until the I spend any money or sign anything. I want to feel good about this decision.