Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting our New Puppy Tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting our New Puppy Tomorrow

Well, we decided to tell the kids ahead of time -- I was thinking of doing that, anyway, but after what everyone said it seemed like the best way to go. We told them over the weekend and then took a trip to the pet store to buy some supplies. The kids especially enjoyed looking at bowls and toys. They are very excited!

We have talked to them a lot (in bits & pieces, so we can keep their attention) about what will be required to care for him, and all of the things we need to do to keep him safe.

The hardest part is picking out a name! It's hard to get five people to agree. We have a list, hope to narrow it down to two or three, then we'll wait till we get him home to decide what suits him.

Can't wait to join in on the discussions here as an official Cavalier owner! Hope everyone has a great week.

Cari

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great news - I hope you managed to find a breeder who is health testing and has shown you the certificates to prove that too.

We look forward to photos of the puppy

It's easier to pick a name once you actually meet puppy - the breeder may well have been calling them something that suits them - that happened with us, and of course Rupert stayed as Rupert - nothing else would have suited him!!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck tomorrow night!

I always found that to be the hardest part! Once all the excitement was over and it was time for the puppy to go to sleep...I hate hearing them howl!
    Mommy to....

Chamberlain (10 month Male Blenheim Cavalier)
    Sasha (6 year old Female Great Pyrennes)

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh a new puppy! Congrats!!

The same thing happened when I got Sparky, I was going to call him Ollie or Ozzie but his breeder had nicnamed him Sparky & as he was a mental puppy & wired to the moon Sparky suited him! When I adopted Lucy from work (Dogs Trust) she didnt have a name & I had been calling her Coco for the first few hours but then everyone in work to me that we had had too many Coco's on the system so I had a rethink. When Sparky was younger for some reason if you ever said 'Lucy' in the house he would go mad looking for 'Lucy' (which was odd as we dont know anyone canine or human called Lucy!) so Lucy became Lucy & is now known as Juicy Lucy or Loopy Lucy! Also with Lucy she seemed to react to the name so it might be an idea if you have a shortlist of names to say them near the pup & see if he reacts to any of them?

Good luck with the naming!!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is so exciting! Remember to take bunches of pictures and share them. I don't have any pictures of Ella as a puppy? Don't know what happened.

As for a name, I think the name comes to you and I think personally its better to wait to get one that matches personality. I am sure your children will give you their opinions

I named my first dog flip ( I was 9) no idea where that came from!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Great news - I hope you managed to find a breeder who is health testing and has shown you the certificates to prove that too.

We look forward to photos of the puppy

It's easier to pick a name once you actually meet puppy - the breeder may well have been calling them something that suits them - that happened with us, and of course Rupert stayed as Rupert - nothing else would have suited him!!
    Yes, very comfortable with the breeder I picked! She emailed me copies of the certificates and I've already seen the pedigrees. I also conferred with Anne Eckersley and feel confident that I've made a great choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! We are thrilled and filled with anticipation here at our house.

Pretty sure we're not going to stick the breeder's name for him, though, since it's not very catchy. I personally prefer simple names that end in a long e sound -- dogs always seem to respond well to those. (Although I've known plenty of dogs with names like Mafia, Seamus, Mario, and Winston, and they seem to like their names, too!)

We're a pretty down-to-earth family (and currently living on a farm with horses, cows, goats, and chickens), so we're thinking of basic names like Rusty, Teddy, Buddy, Brady, or Percy. He's a blenheim, so I think my favorite is Rusty, but I'm not the only vote!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love2driveinct View Post

We're a pretty down-to-earth family (and currently living on a farm with horses, cows, goats, and chickens), so we're thinking of basic names like Rusty, Teddy, Buddy, Brady, or Percy. He's a blenheim, so I think my favorite is Rusty, but I'm not the only vote!

Great news - so pleased you have managed to find a puppy from health tested parents

On the subject of names, I can highly recommend the name Teddy

If he turns out to be even half as special as my Teddy, he will be a fantastic dog and very precious.

My Teddy was a Ruby - but I think it suits any Cavalier colour.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I like the name Teddy too! My mother has a dark brown English Cocker Spaniel named Teddy whom I love!
    Mommy to....

Chamberlain (10 month Male Blenheim Cavalier)
    Sasha (6 year old Female Great Pyrennes)

Post Thanks / Like

My husband started to like the name Teddy when he realized we could name him after Tedy Bruschi, the retired Patriots football player. Did you notice Brady on the list, too?